Moving to Chesterfield/Sheffield

Soldato
Hi,

Been in my new job now for a few months and need to move closer to work, currently commute to chesterfield from stoke on trent but isnt as bad as it sounds as i car share with a mate.

Hes now moving to Notts so i need to move closer, Will be my first time moving out (so no commodities like Microwave and fridge ect ect...), i only get paid £16500 at the moment (hey its a start! :rolleyes:)

Id ideally would prefer to live on my own probably need to be kept to as close as £400 PCM

Anyone live in the area suggest areas to avoid? Or any good suggestions to be looking at.

Rent prices seem very reasonable in Chesterfield from a quick look

Last edited:
Associate
Kelham Island is quite a nice area just outside Sheffield city centre if you are looking at flats, especially if you could get a flat overlooking the river. There are a few real ale pubs there too if that's your thing. It's close to Shalesmoor tram stop so you can get about without a car.

For £400PCM you won't be able to get one of the nicer converted flats at Cornish Place or Brooklyn Works unless you share, but one of the new builds Kelham Mills just around the corner on Adelaide Lane might be within your reach. It has parking on-site and a second car park just across the road.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-37909589.html

Sheffield - Chesterfield by train is £5.80 for an anytime return and you've got the choice of about 5 or so trains per hour. If you are thinking about train though Kelham Island might not be ideal as you've got a 20-25 minute walk to the train station. It has a few 'characters' hanging around at night so I'm not sure I'd fancy that walk at night in the Winter on my own. It's a 15 minute ride to the station on Supertram which would set you back £13/week.

Soldato
I live in chesterfield and I know there are good and bad areas in every town, but in general chesterfield is a nice area. country side on your door step and i live on the outskirts of Chesterfield in a nice semi quiet village.

If you need any other advice, drop me a email (in trust) or reply on here with anything I maybe able to help you with.

Quite a few of these 1 bedroom studio flats recently been built (opposite mcdonalds / cinema complex) and lots also up by the BIG Tesco/ Sainsburys and a lot of them are for rent as I pass that area a lot and notice the 'for rent' signs.

Soldato
OP
I live in chesterfield and I know there are good and bad areas in every town, but in general chesterfield is a nice area. country side on your door step and i live on the outskirts of Chesterfield in a nice semi quiet village.

If you need any other advice, drop me a email (in trust) or reply on here with anything I maybe able to help you with.

Quite a few of these 1 bedroom studio flats recently been built (opposite mcdonalds / cinema complex) and lots also up by the BIG Tesco/ Sainsburys and a lot of them are for rent as I pass that area a lot and notice the 'for rent' signs.

Thanks

I work quite close to the Sainsbury and Tesco area at Tapton ill drop you an email

btw transport not really an issue as i can drive and have a car

Last edited:
Soldato
As someone who's lived there for two years... and will be going back for at least another, next year... I beg to differ. One brother lived there for two years, and another lived there for four or five years... both of them loved the place, too. Then, all my peers think it's great.

It's a wonderful city :).

I'd agree with this, after having lived there for four years. Nice and close to the Peak District too, we used to take trips out to Derwent and the Ladybower Reservoir and it was only 10-15 mins in the car. Friendly place, lots going on and good links with the M1 and train station.

Soldato
Have you though about somewhere south of Chesterfield? The rents should be a bit cheaper but I'm not sure what the transport links are like.

South of Chesterfield is Clay Cross (hole), Alfreton (hole), Ripley (hole). Best sticking to Chesvegas - it's not too bad and as said the surrounding area is nice like the peaks on your doorstep.

Soldato
As someone who's lived there for two years... and will be going back for at least another, next year... I beg to differ. One brother lived there for two years, and another lived there for four or five years... both of them loved the place, too. Then, all my peers think it's great.

It's a wonderful city :).

I've lived here for 26 years. It USED to be a great city I'll grant you that but now with little industry and social decay it's become a ghost of it's former self, even the outlaying villages are suffering.

Soldato
Have you looked into the financial viability of this move? As £16,500 isn't a lot to support yourself when you have your own place at £400/month.

Just wondered if you'd done the calculations, because you won't have much spare after outgoings.

Soldato
I live in the Heeley area of Sheffield. Bits of it are rough, bits are fine, but more importantly the rent on our flat is £350 a month split between me and my girlfriend. Cheapest band of council tax.

£16,500 is easily enough to live on round here if you don't run a car. I managed well enough on £12k~ for the year I lived here before the lady moved in.

Associate
i live in a small village just outside chesterfield, housing is cheap rents are low, but we have an hourly bus to town, IF it turns up. So try and stick closer to town centre for transport links

I know people who finish work at 5 in town and dont get home much before 7 due to buses, sometimes later, a bit s*** considering its about 8 miles to drive...

Soldato
OP
i live in a small village just outside chesterfield, housing is cheap rents are low, but we have an hourly bus to town, IF it turns up. So try and stick closer to town centre for transport links

I know people who finish work at 5 in town and dont get home much before 7 due to buses, sometimes later, a bit s*** considering its about 8 miles to drive...

What town is that? I got a car so not to botherd about bus links

Associate
Kelham Island is quite a nice area just outside Sheffield city centre if you are looking at flats, especially if you could get a flat overlooking the river. There are a few real ale pubs there too if that's your thing. It's close to Shalesmoor tram stop so you can get about without a car.

For £400PCM you won't be able to get one of the nicer converted flats at Cornish Place or Brooklyn Works unless you share, but one of the new builds Kelham Mills just around the corner on Adelaide Lane might be within your reach. It has parking on-site and a second car park just across the road.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-37909589.html

Sheffield - Chesterfield by train is £5.80 for an anytime return and you've got the choice of about 5 or so trains per hour. If you are thinking about train though Kelham Island might not be ideal as you've got a 20-25 minute walk to the train station. It has a few 'characters' hanging around at night so I'm not sure I'd fancy that walk at night in the Winter on my own. It's a 15 minute ride to the station on Supertram which would set you back £13/week.

He will be struggling to get a flat there for under £500. I rent a flat just across the road (2 bedder at Millsands) for £625. Fairly nice area but he should maybe look towards chesterfield if he wants somewhere more affordable.

Back
Top Bottom