Which 120Hz for best combination of IQ & response time?

Permabanned
I'm interested in trying out a 120Hz monitor - just not sure what to go for.

Currently have a Dell U2711 (which I rather like) and a cheapy benq 22" 1920x1080 thing.

This will be a 3rd monitor, used pretty much solely for gaming (although it may have spreadsheets etc on it while working, so would be nice to read the text without going "eurgh" every time I look at it).

My experience so far with TN panels & LED backlighting has not been a good one so far - but I've yet to see a 120Hz panel in action.

From what I've read so far - it seems as though the image quality of these panels has improved from the likes of this crappy Benq. But then, if only really used for gaming - then it's not gonna be the biggest of annoyances if the refresh rate is a worth compromise.

I'm not so fussed about 3D as I have a 3dtv in the living room... but the feature could be a nice addition (save me carting the pc through if I want to try something in 3d).

With that... the Illyama is a consideration.

The Benq seems to be coming out quite favourably - but my current benq doesn't give me much faith in their IQ.

I'd like the physical size of the 27" Samsung 950 as well as the aesthetics - but think the difference in pixel size will get on my nerves.

Any recommendations?

Associate
Response time (best to worst):

Benq XL2420t
Asus vg278h
Samsung 120hz any model
Iiyama G2773hs

Image quality (best to worst):

Samsung 120hz any model
Asus vg278h
Iiyama G2773hs
Benq XL2420t

Input lag (best to worst):

Asus vg278h
Benq XL2420t
Iiyama G2773hs
Samsung 120hz any model

Soldato
Response time (best to worst):

Benq XL2420t
Asus vg278h
Samsung 120hz any model
Iiyama G2773hs

Image quality (best to worst):

Samsung 120hz any model
Asus vg278h
Iiyama G2773hs
Benq XL2420t

Input lag (best to worst):

Asus vg278h
Benq XL2420t
Iiyama G2773hs
Samsung 120hz any model

Although the XL2420T and VG278H may technically have faster measured response times on paper they also have more noticeable RTC errors. The Samsungs are much less aggressive with their overdrive and are extremely fluid without going overboard as a result. I would also question your ordering of something as subjective and all-encompassing as 'image quality', especially when you place the ASUS VG278H far above the BenQ. I would generally agree that the Samsung models top that list but the ASUS has some severe and uncorrectable (via OSD) gamma issues that screw up the colours. The BenQs don't suffer in that regard.

Permabanned
OP
Well... I definitely prefer the BenQ over the IIyama - the size of the pixels on the Iiyama is just gigantic! Even the BenQ is noticeably bigger than I'm used to...

The fluidity is nice - but the IQ not so much - definitely better than previous TN panels I've used, but I'm really looking forward to the days of PVA-quality screens that can run at this or higher refresh rates...

One bad thing it's done to me though... I can really detect the input lag on the U2711 now :(

Last edited:
Associate
I agree with you regarding this as i sold my u2711 and puchased the benq xl2420t and i am still very happy with how responsive it is and the fact that the colours are not bad at all when you use pcm2's sttings with nvidia vibrance at 65% (well thats what i preffer).

I think the u2711 is overated compared to the new tn panels. Also one thing i noticed straight away was the lack of heat from the benq compared to the dell..... Mmmm toasty.

Permabanned
OP
Wow. I was keen to get the U2711 (maybe in addition to my XL2420T) but now I'm not so sure.

I agree with you regarding this as i sold my u2711 and puchased the benq xl2420t and i am still very happy with how responsive it is and the fact that the colours are not bad at all when you use pcm2's sttings with nvidia vibrance at 65% (well thats what i preffer).

I think the u2711 is overated compared to the new tn panels. Also one thing i noticed straight away was the lack of heat from the benq compared to the dell..... Mmmm toasty.

I love the U2711 - I really do.

When you have the monitor by itself - the input lag is not noticeable... I perceived none previously.

When it's sitting right next to a 120Hz TN panel like this... it's slow, and very noticeable.

I was planning to leave the U2711 as my primary monitor and play FPS games on the BenQ... now I think I want triple BenQs :)

The colours are noticeably better on the U2711 IMO... as is the text reproduction.

What PCM2 settings are you referring to?

Associate
Please try the following:

Picture mode standard
Brightness 36
Contrast 50
Sharpness 5
Gamma 4
Colour temp user, red 96, green 97 and blue 100

Then go into your nvidia control panel and set the nvidia vibrance to 65%. I assume you know where it is.

Please give it a go and let me know what you think.

Regards

Associate
I have the Benq XL2420T and I love the monitor it is brilliant for gaming 120Mhz refresh
rate really does make a difference to your games and things as well and touch wood I have
never had a problem with it upto yet either.
Its definately the best monitor that I have ever purchased.

Associate
I have the Benq XL2420T and I love the monitor it is brilliant for gaming 120Mhz refresh
rate really does make a difference to your games and things as well and touch wood I have
never had a problem with it upto yet either.
Its definately the best monitor that I have ever purchased.

+1. Great monitor, solid adjustable stand, different settings pre-saved for diff games. Great monitor IMO.

Back
Top Bottom