Who owned a Dreamcast?

Caporegime
This thread makes me wish I still had my mine. I remember being absolutely amazed by the first two games that I had on the system - Crazy Taxi and Soul Calibur. I was only 12 at the time and the jump from the original Playstation to this was just huge, the games were silky smooth and the graphics were stunning. :D

Might have to get a second hand one from somewhere.

Soldato
I bought an imported Japanese one plus had to keep travelling to get games into Nottingham, was before the days of online ordering!

I remember it cost me a small fortune as I had to buy a new TV to get it to play in colour, was well worth it though as some of the games were incredible.

Associate
Yep, I still have mine :D

First console I played online and it was freaking awesome!...Shenmue, Quake3Arena, Phantasy Star Online had to be 3 of my best! I never got around to playing Skies of Arcadia :( (this makes me sad)

Soldato
I cant find the pics unfortunately but I've also owned a Treamcast at one point as well as a shop display unit.

Associate
I still own my dreamcast, had it since release day as well. Amazing console, so many good games. The controller was great for its day. I also loved the Saturn to back in its day, shame Sega dropped out of the console race.

Soldato
Just been to market today but no sign, keepin my fingers crossed this Saturday, as I saw it last Saturday. otherwise the next option is getting it online. Apparantly they have some games that still work online?? is that true?

Soldato
Had one when they first come out, haven't met anyone who can say it was a bad console, such an amazing machine when it first come out with some great games.

Picked up another one about a year or so ago and still play it from time to time :)

Soldato
I purchased one while I was staying for a summer in the US back in 2000.

Obviously bringing it back to the UK mean't it wouldn't play UK games, but that wasn't a problem because one of the Sega magazines regularly ran a cover disc with a CD that would allow you to load UK games.

That said, the Dreamcast remains the console I bought the least amount of games for ever. I had:

- Crazy Taxi
- Soul Calibur
- Space Channel 5
- Resident Evil: Code Veronica

I did play a few other games such as Sonic Adventure because I had a summer job in Game at the time, which was when they let staff take home any game they wanted.

The only game I didn't play which is reputed to be the best title is Shenmue.

I certainly enjoyed Code Veronica, but I've never really looked back at the Dreamcast as an amazing console, which I notice other people often seem to do. In contrast I had loads of games for my Playstation and then Playstation 2.

Associate
Still got mine too, all boxed and that but unfortunately it's appearance has not fared so well as it has what looks like smoke damage... well it isn't smoke damage but the plastic goes funny and as I remember it plagued the SNES quite bad too. (I am sure most of you guys will know what I mean)

But yes great console and a shame SEGA threw the towel in quite early in it's life.

Soldato
When Sega left the console industry consoling altogether died for me. It was the only true game console left. Now it's all about console gaming trying to be like PC gaming but failing. I still buy console games when a decent console game comes out but it's rare these days.

Soldato
When Sega left the console industry consoling altogether died for me. It was the only true game console left. Now it's all about console gaming trying to be like PC gaming but failing. I still buy console games when a decent console game comes out but it's rare these days.

That sounds like a fairly non-sensical opinion to me. Especially given the range of games we have seen this generation.

Associate
but unfortunately it's appearance has not fared so well as it has what looks like smoke damage... well it isn't smoke damage but the plastic goes funny and as I remember it plagued the SNES quite bad too.

I often wondered this in the past, I always thought it was sun damage or smoke but aparently it's from the chemicals used in the plastics

http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

Soldato
Still got two (one launch one spare, bought for £12) both with vga boxes, about 30 games and loads of controllers. Was my only new console and still my favourite for playing games on. Tried a PS3 but it feels far too complicated compared to the simplicity of the Dreamcast.

Back
Top Bottom