Why do some people cycle down a dual carriageway?

Soldato
It's this thread again.:(

I agree that cycling on a dual carriageway is highly dangerous, having tried it myself as a short cut, never again.

Associate
Incorrect. Nobody has paid 'Road Tax' since 1936. You pay Vehicle Excise Duty which is a tax on the vehicle not the use of the road network.

It's the same thing! Even the directgov website calls it 'vehicle tax' and 'car tax', instead of 'vehicle excise duty'!

Regardless, the point still stands, car drivers pay it, pushbike riders don't.

Soldato
It's the same thing! Even the directgov website calls it 'vehicle tax' and 'car tax', instead of 'vehicle excise duty'!
"Road" is not the same as "Vehicle" :confused:
"Road tax" (which hasnt existed for more than 50 years) was a tax for using the roads.
"Vehicle Tax" is a tax on the ownership of a vehicle.
No, people who produce more emissions per mile pay more...

Last edited:
Soldato
I know a few guys that cycle on the A725 towards the raith interchange. It's a death wish really and I go the longer but safer backroad to work.

I had to cycle on a NSL dual carriageway during a charity thing a few years back and I was just waiting to be hit from behind.

A reasonable cyclist with a bit of speed is best on the road as they can move with traffic for the most part.

I pay £215 a year in 'road tax' how far am I allowed to cycle on your roads for paying that much?

Asprillia I just think people switch off on straight roads and are more likely to drift into you.

Soldato

Because those two categories always are and always will be mutually exclusive.

What does paying VED entitle you to precisely? It's not ring fenced for roads, it just goes into the general taxation pot along with income tax.

If I pay more tax than you overall does that mean I have more priority on the road than you regardless of choice of transport?

Soldato
cycle_lane.jpg[

These are something I really hate as they give cars a false perception of what is an acceptable amount of space to leave a bike when overtaking them.

Associate
"Road" is not the same as "Vehicle" :confused:
"Road tax" (which hasnt existed for more than 50 years) was a tax for using the roads.

Yes, it was.

"Vehicle Tax" is a tax on the ownership of a vehicle.

....to use it on the public road. I don't need to pay vehicle excise duty for a car that I use exclusively on private land.

No, people who produce more emissions per mile pay more...

They already did through fuel duty and VAT on fuel.

Soldato
Yes, it was.
....to use it on the public road. I don't need to pay vehicle excise duty for a car that I use exclusively on private land.
They already did through fuel duty and VAT on fuel.

My friend's mum drives a Mini Clubman D. She doesnt pay any vehicle excise duty because of its emissions.
Should i phone the police? Is she illegally driving it untaxed?
Or is it actually just a big bicycle that looks like a car? (she can ride pretty fast for a short, middle-age woman!)

Associate
My friend's mum drives a Mini Clubman D. She doesnt pay any vehicle excise duty because of its emissions.
Should i phone the police? Is she illegally driving it untaxed?
Or is it actually just a big bicycle that looks like a car? (she can ride pretty fast for a short, middle-age woman!)

It's still taxed, no?

v0n

v0n

Soldato
We don't need taxing of cyclists. We need them trained and insured. They need to be forced to know it's illegal to cycle on motorway before they even try.

And we need HC to ban cycling and 50cc L plated mopeds from all dual carriageway roads with speed limit above 30mph and single carriageway roads with speed limit of 40mph. I know a lot of you will jump in with "why not 40" but just imagine someone cycling on Westway/A40 flyover.

Yesterday around 7pm I witnessed 1 mile traffic from Tower Hill almost all the way to Limehouse Tunnel, turned out to be some a-hole on Boris Bike cycling literally in the middle of outside lane of eastbound dual carriageway shouting "I am allowed to be here!" and spitting obscenities at honking traffic. Found a technicality for his one man war against "the machine" and made it his mission to exploit it. And you know that where there is one, there is more. That type of eco warrior crowd is set to grow.

Soldato

So VED and duty on fuel go into general taxation along with VAT, income tax, etc. The only element of the tax you pay that is at least partially ring fenced for roads is Council Tax.

If you are arguing that paying VED makes you entitled to drive in the roads then it follows that those who pay the most tax overall have the most right to use the road.

How much do you earn?

Soldato
We don't need taxing of cyclists. We need them trained and insured. They need to be forced to know it's illegal to cycle on motorway before they even try.

And we need HC to ban cycling and 50cc L plated mopeds from all dual carriageway roads with speed limit above 30mph and single carriageway roads with speed limit of 40mph. I know a lot of you will jump in with "why not 40" but just imagine someone cycling on Westway/A40 flyover. Yesterday around 7pm I witnessed 1 mile traffic from Tower Hill almost all the way to Limehouse Tunnel, turned out to be some a-hole on Boris Bike cycling literally in the middle of outside lane of eastbound dual carriageway shouting "I am allowed to be here!" and spitting obscenities at honking traffic. Found a technicality for his one man war against "the machine" and made it his mission to exploit it. And you know that where there is one, there is more. That type of eco warrior crowd is set to grow.

If you enact that ban I wouldn't be able to cycle to work. Guess I'd just have to add another car to the congestion.

Chap in my office lives round the corner from me. He takes an hour to drive and I take 35 minutes to ride.

Associate
[DOD]Asprilla;22278246 said:
So VED and duty on fuel go into general taxation along with VAT, income tax, etc. The only element of the tax you pay that is at least partially ring fenced for roads is Council Tax.

If you are arguing that paying VED makes you entitled to drive in the roads then it follows that those who pay the most tax overall have the most right to use the road.

How much do you earn?

Lots. Lots and lots.....get out of my waaaaaaayyyyy! :D

Associate
[DOD]Asprilla;22278268 said:
If you enact that ban I wouldn't be able to cycle to work. Guess I'd just have to add another car to the congestion.

It's ok, you'd be relieving congestion by not being in the bloody way on a bike! ;)

Back
Top Bottom