Add reservoir to closed loop system

Associate
Hi Guys,

Has anyone added a reservoir to closed loop system all in one cooler? like h60, h80, H100, 620, 920 etc, so air can collect in and you have larger volume of fuild.

I was thinking of adding a 5 1/4 bay reservoir.

linked so cpu went to rad then rad to reservoir and back to cpu.

Any thoughts or input..

Soldato
That defeats the purpose of buying one of those all-in-one coolers

Unless you're thinking of the coolermaster ones that haven't been released yet - they have proper fittings sizes and stuff.

Associate
do it more volume is good ... longer to ambient more volume = more heat exchange and so on

as long as you dont increse the head for the pump add and add away...

i have a heavily modified originally small bore 10 mm system only things that r left now are the controls and the temperature monitoring

volume is good if i could go from 1/2 inch to 1 inch i would

there isnt a problem in modifiing stuff .. thats all part of the fun..

if its not what u want modify it some more

and in answer to your Q yes...

hell yes why not

Associate
nope the purpose is higher water volume.... from what i read he wants...

higher water vlume = good

if a all in one is your start point .. a volume increase is a first step ''
after that i wouls say go for a higher flow over heat source
then a better rad system

volume is good...

only if you buy a all in one system to keep it as small as poss would that be wrong.. but for performance volume is a win...

more water at ambient means system take longer to warm up all else being equal...

Soldato
But then you could setup a simple enough CPU loop that would be more effective for probably the same cost defeating the point if you get me?

Associate
OP
I can see adding a reservoir could help improve cooling depending on pump flow rate and rad cooling abilty it would depend on return temps.

But also it would fix the issue of having air in your system removing the clicking and airlock problems which all in ones sometimes have.

Yes in an ideal world you would buy a full on water cooling system but that would be £150+. A 620 can be had for £40 ish and a reservoir is also cheap at £15 ish, stick and extra push fan on it £10 and for £65 you have ok ish cheap system.

It still will not be as good as a full on system but would be better than a H80 and would fix the air in the system problem. Maybe its not the best soultion and just buying a full kit is a better idea. I was just looking at a cheap option around the 920,h80 price mark.

So if anyone has done this or has any detials let me know, i'm all ears...

Last edited:
Soldato
Having no experience of these types of coolers I don't know if they are supposed to be totally filled with fluid or are supposed to tolerate an air bubble somewhere, which hopefully wouldn't be drawn around the loop, however I can say that in a normal water cooling loop fluid level will always drop over time due to it either being absorbed into the tubes or evaporating through them. Now I don't know what the tubes in the H80 etc are made of but I wouldn't rule out the same thing happening eventually. So if there is no means of adding new water, and it doesn't look like there is, then you could eventually have a problem. Adding a res will solve this, or even drilling and tapping a fill port on the rad.

Associate
h50 has been modded quite a lot, some people install a bigger radiator, other people install a reservoir and pair up with exisiting rad. But never both (too much for the pump to handle), maybe the reason for that is that it has a beefier bump than the newer ones, the h80 etc have a small pump unit, I'm not sure if this is indicative of weaker pump or not.

I've been discussing this on another modding forum. The consensous is that it's worth doing on the h50 because the risk reward is worth it. the h50 is a pretty redundant model because it's cooling isn't that great and it's actually less cooler and less quieter than some air coolers. There is a noctua air cooler which is the same price point that's a lot cooler and lot quieter (forgot the model name could be nh-d14).

but there is a risk, more water in the circuit means that the pump has to work harder.. Too much water and the pump might not work at all. having to pump more also shortens the lifespan of your pump.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can see adding a reservoir could help improve cooling depending on pump flow rate and rad cooling abilty it would depend on return temps.

But also it would fix the issue of having air in your system removing the clicking and airlock problems which all in ones sometimes have.

Yes in an ideal world you would buy a full on water cooling system but that would be £150+. A 620 can be had for £40 ish and a reservoir is also cheap at £15 ish, stick and extra push fan on it £10 and for £65 you have ok ish cheap system.

It still will not be as good as a full on system but would be better than a H80 and would fix the air in the system problem. Maybe its not the best soultion and just buying a full kit is a better idea. I was just looking at a cheap option around the 920,h80 price mark.

So if anyone has done this or has any detials let me know, i'm all ears...

But why spend £65 on a lower CLC when they work worse than top air for the same price? When you consider you can get a CPU block for £40~ tubing for £8 a rad for about £40 and a res for £15 plus about £10 or so for compressions and you would have yourself a pretty decent CPU loop for about £120. Only £55 more than what you have propesed and would work a lot better.

Associate
OP
But why spend £65 on a lower CLC when they work worse than top air for the same price? When you consider you can get a CPU block for £40~ tubing for £8 a rad for about £40 and a res for £15 plus about £10 or so for compressions and you would have yourself a pretty decent CPU loop for about £120. Only £55 more than what you have propesed and would work a lot better.

Good air coolers are large and can have fitting issues in small size case and component clearance. Thats why I was thinkinf water cooling.

But maybe you are right spend more and get the right kit..

Associate
OP
h50 has been modded quite a lot, some people install a bigger radiator, other people install a reservoir and pair up with exisiting rad. But never both (too much for the pump to handle), maybe the reason for that is that it has a beefier bump than the newer ones, the h80 etc have a small pump unit, I'm not sure if this is indicative of weaker pump or not.

I've been discussing this on another modding forum. The consensous is that it's worth doing on the h50 because the risk reward is worth it. the h50 is a pretty redundant model because it's cooling isn't that great and it's actually less cooler and less quieter than some air coolers. There is a noctua air cooler which is the same price point that's a lot cooler and lot quieter (forgot the model name could be nh-d14).

but there is a risk, more water in the circuit means that the pump has to work harder.. Too much water and the pump might not work at all. having to pump more also shortens the lifespan of your pump.

Yes I guess pumps are small and weak adding the res would have limited affect to the water volume being pumped as its a static header. But the length of the pipe run and elavation of the res above the pump height will. The flow rate could be reduced so its something to watch out for.

Associate
OP
Having no experience of these types of coolers I don't know if they are supposed to be totally filled with fluid or are supposed to tolerate an air bubble somewhere, which hopefully wouldn't be drawn around the loop, however I can say that in a normal water cooling loop fluid level will always drop over time due to it either being absorbed into the tubes or evaporating through them. Now I don't know what the tubes in the H80 etc are made of but I wouldn't rule out the same thing happening eventually. So if there is no means of adding new water, and it doesn't look like there is, then you could eventually have a problem. Adding a res will solve this, or even drilling and tapping a fill port on the rad.

I think they are ment to be as air free as possibe, pumping air around a water system will prodcue poor cooling and could damage the pump.

So adding a res sound like a good idea on the face of it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom