The "Post your pictures here" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Some shots I took yesterday.. What you guys think?

The second and fourth are the best for me. The focal point in the first one doesn't work well as the first thing you look at is the memorial behind it, which is blurred out. The second has nice composition and style, wouldn't really touch it personally. The third doesn't work for me because I struggle to read what the sign actually says. I know why you've done it (for the bokeeeeeh!), but you have to bare in mind that people have to read things, unless you intentionally want to isolate key words. To really pull off this sort of shot whilst having all of the words in focus, you need to focus on the plate towards the far left or right of the frame, then either concentrate on blurring out the background that way or look at doing a 45 degree angle shot at the plate at a smaller aperture but with reduced bokeh.

The fourth is great and is right up my street. Like the subtle shadow at the bottom of the frame and the focal point.

The fifth is by far the worst of the bunch for me as its a full on "marmite" style photo. Love or hate it, personally doesn't do anything for me mate!

Soldato
Thanks, given me some good things to work on. My first proper day of going out and taking photos so quite happy to have good comments!

No worries :) The more you go out, even to the same place, the better the photos usually get. This is especially true if you ever want to take photos of animals as you either need luck, or just observe their habits (feeding times, activity time etc).

Just remember theres life outside of bokeh :p

Soldato
RW2_8388-Edit.jpg

RW1_0995-Edit.jpg

Caporegime
A couple of shots from recently.

7523599082_db4ae28cda_o.jpg

7523599396_f5e933702e_o.jpg

Is that actually a dragonfly? Caught it emerging from the water and drying out its wings this afternoon.

Associate
7523599396_f5e933702e_o.jpg

Is that actually a dragonfly? Caught it emerging from the water and drying out its wings this afternoon.

Yes it is a Dragonfly. They spend part of their life as Nymphs underwater, then they will crawl up reeds and transform into a Dragonfly.

What you have caught is a freshly emerged Dragonfly. The wings are pumped full of blood like a Butterfly and are very soft. Once extended the blood is taken back into the body, the wings harden in the sun and off they fly.

I think your Dragonfly may well be a Southern Hawker.

The British Dragonfly Society have a really good website that can tell you a lot more about them and how to identify the different types.

Really nice shot by the way. Your next challenge should you choose to accept it is to get one to land on your finger, it happened to me a few weeks back :) - amazing creatures.

Last edited:
Soldato
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom