Just had first workout, not sure i did it right?

Soldato
Following on from this thread http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18419273

Just did an upper body workout. This is what I did.

Bench press 4x10, 6kg dumbbells
Bent over rows 4x10, 6kg dumbbells
Shoulder press 3x8, 6kg dumbbells
Bench press 2x6, 8kg dumbbells

As I said in the other thread, I had concerns over form. So I got the instructor to help me with the bent over rows. I'm still not convinced I did them correctly as I felt it a bit in my triceps but not really in my back. Is it a case that I was lifting too light?

6 kg per dumbbell was perfect for the bench press, as I think d 8kg afterwards and could only manage 2x6. 6 kg was perhaps too heavy for the shoulder press as by my last few reps my arms were like jelly.

It took all of 20 mins but i don't really feel as if I just worked out. My left arm feels quite weak and my right arm feels slightly weak and that's about it. Maybe I'll just wake up with severe doms? :D
Does it sound like I did alright or do I need to do something differently?

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm teasing :p just feel how you go. It really is different for everyone.

As for form, if the instructor thinks it's ok then you should be fine, most would tell you if you're doing something drastically wrong.
With the bent over rows just try and keep your elbow tight to your torso while pulling up.

Don't worry about lifting too light right now, forget what I said earlier, keep it reasonable and build up gradually. Remember and eat - that's a big one for me.

Man of Honour
Out of interest why the two lots of bench press in one session? Or actually I suppose the more sensible question is what routine are you following?

If you've not done much physical exercise before it definitely makes sense to start slowly and work your way into it, a lot of people will overdo it initially to try and get quick results or even just because they don't realise how it will tax their body. That said you don't want to be just going through the motions, the aim is for it to benefit you so you do need to be building up to a workout that will tax you and promote growth. DOMS or a lack of them doesn't necessarily indicate a good workout - peoples bodies respond in different ways.

Oh and it should probably go without saying but don't forget about your legs, they constitute some of the biggest muscle groups in the human body and correspondingly need some heavy working out. It's also worth remembering that the body likes symmetry and balance so work on both upper and lower body is beneficial.

Soldato
OP
Out of interest why the two lots of bench press in one session? Or actually I suppose the more sensible question is what routine are you following?

If you've not done much physical exercise before it definitely makes sense to start slowly and work your way into it, a lot of people will overdo it initially to try and get quick results or even just because they don't realise how it will tax their body. That said you don't want to be just going through the motions, the aim is for it to benefit you so you do need to be building up to a workout that will tax you and promote growth. DOMS or a lack of them doesn't necessarily indicate a good workout - peoples bodies respond in different ways.

Oh and it should probably go without saying but don't forget about your legs, they constitute some of the biggest muscle groups in the human body and correspondingly need some heavy working out. It's also worth remembering that the body likes symmetry and balance so work on both upper and lower body is beneficial.

The reason I benched again was because I finished a lot quicker than I thought I would, and wanted to push myself a bit further.

I haven't forgotten about my legs ;) Leg day will be lots of squats, deadlifts and lunges.

Associate
During your workout you need to push yourself hard to stimulate muscle growth, your body grows and adapts to the demand you put on it. Do you think you've pushed yourself hard enough to achieve this? (Hint: my girlfriend lift more than that the first time she went to the gym). A reporter once asked Mohammed Ali how many sit-ups could he do. His reply? "I don't count my sit-ups. I only start counting when it starts hurting." This is the sort of attitude it takes to develop your body into the sculpture you desire.

Follow a well balanced routine to build your foundations, I really like this modified Rippetoes/SS routine for beginners, I highly recommend it:

Routine

I think on this program, most people will get where they want much faster after having built a fantastic base. I strongly dislike SS in its original template, and believe this not only better, but more fun. This also addresses the imbalances we see so often coming out of Rippetoes.

For the beginner I think higher frequency is the absolute best to get those rapid changes. If after 3-5 months things slow down significantly, do whatever you want. Upper/lower, a full blown 5 day split, whatever. Either way, I think the work capacity you develop from training like this will aid you in whatever your goals are.

Workout A
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Chins 15-20 total reps, add weight or use assisted.
Rows 3x8 SUPER STRICT. (This can be T-Bar, Barbell or Cable Rows)
Optional: Barbell or DB Curls 3x8 and rear delt flyes 3x8, do this at your own discretion. If you don't feel like it, don't worry.

Workout B
Front squat 3x5
MP 3x5
Deadlifts 1x5
Optional: Triceps Pushdown 3x10 and Dip 15-20 total reps. Again, if you don't feel like it, don't worry.

Training frequency:
I simply suggest a minimum of 3 sessions. If you are feeling good, are eating lots and recovering well, trying and train more. Sometimes people have bad days, feel tired, stay up pate to finish assignments, and some days you wake up ready to squat Jupiter. For beginners, Higher frequency is the absolute best to get those rapid changes - Just realise how much more volume you will complete over a 6 month period training 4x a week instead of 3. That's a 33% load increase just from doing one extra session.

3 Day Example:
Mon: Workout A
Tue: Break
Wed: Workout B
Thur: Breaj
Fri: Workout A or B (Change each week)
Weekend: Break

4 Day Example:
Tue: Workout B
Wed:Break
Thu: Workout A
Fri: Workout B

Fat unconditioned idiots always cry 'OVERTRAINING!' Let me make this very clear. Someone who can't squat 225x5 is physically incapable of overtraining. You simply do not have the CNS recruitment to overtrain.

DO NOT FORCE YOURSELF TO TRAIN MORE. SIMPLY ADD OR DEDUCT SESSIONS PER A WEEK AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION DEPENDING ON HOW YOU FEEL.

LIKEWISE, DO NOT FORCE YOURSELF TO DO THE OPTIONAL WORK, JUST JUDGE IT ON THE FAY
I can help you with nutritional advice tomorrow if you wish? (Off to bed haa). Hope this advice helps you :)

Man of Honour
You need to follow an actual routine, and you need to be using weights that are a challenge. To do all of that in 20 mins you clearly didn't need to take substantial rests, so you didn't use enough weight.

The basics are there which is good though.

I don't like Yate's row, there are far better examples in the exercise guide thread, which the OP needs to read.

Soldato
OP
And as for you rowing technique, check out Dorian Yate's demonstration video, it contains a lot of great information:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNjwZ1fxtCQ

During your workout you need to push yourself hard to stimulate muscle growth, your body grows and adapts to the demand you put on it. Do you think you've pushed yourself hard enough to achieve this? (Hint: my girlfriend lift more than that the first time she went to the gym). A reporter once asked Mohammed Ali how many sit-ups could he do. His reply? "I don't count my sit-ups. I only start counting when it starts hurting." This is the sort of attitude it takes to develop your body into the sculpture you desire.

Follow a well balanced routine to build your foundations, I really like this modified Rippetoes/SS routine for beginners, I highly recommend it:

Routine

I think on this program, most people will get where they want much faster after having built a fantastic base. I strongly dislike SS in its original template, and believe this not only better, but more fun. This also addresses the imbalances we see so often coming out of Rippetoes.

For the beginner I think higher frequency is the absolute best to get those rapid changes. If after 3-5 months things slow down significantly, do whatever you want. Upper/lower, a full blown 5 day split, whatever. Either way, I think the work capacity you develop from training like this will aid you in whatever your goals are.

Workout A
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Chins 15-20 total reps, add weight or use assisted.
Rows 3x8 SUPER STRICT. (This can be T-Bar, Barbell or Cable Rows)
Optional: Barbell or DB Curls 3x8 and rear delt flyes 3x8, do this at your own discretion. If you don't feel like it, don't worry.

Workout B
Front squat 3x5
MP 3x5
Deadlifts 1x5
Optional: Triceps Pushdown 3x10 and Dip 15-20 total reps. Again, if you don't feel like it, don't worry.

Training frequency:
I simply suggest a minimum of 3 sessions. If you are feeling good, are eating lots and recovering well, trying and train more. Sometimes people have bad days, feel tired, stay up pate to finish assignments, and some days you wake up ready to squat Jupiter. For beginners, Higher frequency is the absolute best to get those rapid changes - Just realise how much more volume you will complete over a 6 month period training 4x a week instead of 3. That's a 33% load increase just from doing one extra session.

3 Day Example:
Tue: Break
Wed: Workout B
Thur: Breaj
Fri: Workout A or B (Change each week)

4 Day Example:
Tue: Workout B
Wed:Break
Thu: Workout A
Fri: Workout B

Fat unconditioned idiots always cry 'OVERTRAINING!' Let me make this very clear. Someone who can't squat 225x5 is physically incapable of overtraining. You simply do not have the CNS recruitment to overtrain.

DO NOT FORCE YOURSELF TO TRAIN MORE. SIMPLY ADD OR DEDUCT SESSIONS PER A WEEK AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION DEPENDING ON HOW YOU FEEL.

LIKEWISE, DO NOT FORCE YOURSELF TO DO THE OPTIONAL WORK, JUST JUDGE IT ON THE FAY
I can help you with nutritional advice tomorrow if you wish? (Off to bed haa). Hope this advice helps you :)

Thanks a lot for the info man :)

You need to follow an actual routine, and you need to be using weights that are a challenge. To do all of that in 20 mins you clearly didn't need to take substantial rests, so you didn't use enough weight.

The basics are there which is good though.

I don't like Yate's row, there are far better examples in the exercise guide thread, which the OP needs to read.

I thought so myself, but during the exercise itself it really felt like I was exerting myself. The last few reps of the last set of each exercise were a struggle to complete. In some cases my form was incorrect because my arms were like jelly and unable to complete the lift properly :(

Man of Honour
Have you read the exercise guide thread yet?

If you take longer rests (up to 2 minutes) between your sets you won't get the same kind of fatigue. If you're only taking 20 seconds then you're effectively doing one huge set.

Associate
Thanks a lot for the info man :)

I thought so myself, but during the exercise itself it really felt like I was exerting myself. The last few reps of the last set of each exercise were a struggle to complete. In some cases my form was incorrect because my arms were like jelly and unable to complete the lift properly :(

That's because you weren't giving yourself sufficient rest between sets.

The routine Jakeee posted is great for someone like you. The best thing you could do is get hold of the book Starting Strength. It will tell you exactly what to do and how to do it.

Soldato
OP
I had lower body day yesterday morning. Squatted with 8kg dumbbells, 3x8 and lunged with 8kg dumbbells 3x10. Making sure, I had 2 mins rest in between each set, it took me about 20-25 mins. Started getting DOMS last nigh, and woke up this morning with some serious DOMS.

When my strength increases, I will start to incorporate deadlifts into my routine, and look at other exercises too.

Have you read the exercise guide thread yet?

If you take longer rests (up to 2 minutes) between your sets you won't get the same kind of fatigue. If you're only taking 20 seconds then you're effectively doing one huge set.

Yep, I've read through the thread. Helped me a bit with technique and gave me some ideas of exercises I could add into my routine.

Back
Top Bottom