Does anyone use a 32" TV as a monitor

Soldato
Just thinking about getting a half decent 32" LED TV but it would mainly be used for a monitor via HDMI but also for PS3 and XBOX too, I currently use a samsung 23" LCD TV for the same purposes but find for some bizzare reason that its too small for console gaming but fine for PC. I'd probably mount it on the wall and my desk is approx 70mm deep but not sure if its going to be far too big. I had originally planned to get a 27" LG 3D TV but was thinking for not a huge amount more could get a 32

I know it wont be as good as quality as a proper monitor but when ive connected my laptop into my 40" tv downstairs things such as HL2 etc look fine to me :)

Associate
If you're sitting close to a tv it won;t look great, but if it's a big enough tv and about 8-10 ft away then it'll be ok. I used my 55 inch tv for a monitor sitting about 8ft away and it's grand for a while but then when I used an actual monitor I wouldn't go back.

Soldato
Most modern TV's will have input lag, Even with a game mode it is still noticeable.

That's not true, am using an 40" Toshiba - Regza as my center monitor which has an response rate of 5ms.

I sit pretty close to mine, about 3 foot and it looks sharper and nicer then my three HP 2405's at the sides.

Playing BFBC2/BF3 is so awesome, I can spot everything with ease and makes aiming really easy.

WKN

WKN

Permabanned
That's not true, am using an 40" Toshiba - Regza as my center monitor which has an response rate of 5ms.

I sit pretty close to mine, about 3 foot and it looks sharper and nicer then my three HP 2405's at the sides.

Playing BFBC2/BF3 is so awesome, I can spot everything with ease and makes aiming really easy.

I was talking about input lag not response rate. :confused:

Soldato
I use a 32" Toshiba Regza @ 1080P. I sit next to it as if it's a monitor. Look's great for games/movies and even fine for everything else coming from a 1680X1050 @ 20" monitor. Pixels are more obvious but it doesn't bother me. But I'm looking to downgrade to a 27" 120Hz monitor as I find the screen too big for FPS games and I perform a lot worse as I can't see everything in my peripheral vision.

Soldato
OP
I use a 32" Toshiba Regza @ 1080P. I sit next to it as if it's a monitor. Look's great for games/movies and even fine for everything else coming from a 1680X1050 @ 20" monitor. Pixels are more obvious but it doesn't bother me. But I'm looking to downgrade to a 27" 120Hz monitor as I find the screen too big for FPS games and I perform a lot worse as I can't see everything in my peripheral vision.

Cheers, based on that I think I might just stick with my original idea of a 27" screen

Associate
I use a 40" TV and sit maybe 1m from it.

It's fine tbh.

Me too, I use a 46" TV and its fine for general use and gaming. I use AA so can't really comment on jaggies. Textures look really sharp and it runs smooth vsynced at 60hz. Havent noticed input lag but I don't play FPS games competitively anyway.

Soldato
yeah I used a 32" 1080p tv for a monitor, I sit about 2ft away and it was fine. The only issue I found was in the forum actually, it didn't deal well with colours on blue but it was fine for gaming etc IMO.

I'm miles away from being a pr0 though.. played through all the recent COD games etc and I found it fine.

Gone back to a monitor now as it looked daft in my front room after I moved, a 32" and a 50" in a small room makes you look like a tool lol.

Associate
How much in a hurry are you?

LG is supposedly releasing DM2752D fairly soon. It's a 27" 3D (passive) IPS monitor with TV tuner integrated. (Is this the same one you were looking forward to?)

One thing you should remember: for the optimal 3D effect, you really need some substantial viewing distance from the monitor. Therefore 32" might be too big, unless you have a couch or something in the back. And that's also the reason why most 3D monitors are 23" (second reason being cost).

If you don't care for the 3D part, you could instead get the M2752D, which is apparently the same, but without 3D. And this one is already available (around £250, maybe?), no waiting required.
Link: http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-M2752D-monitor-tv

Discussion on the latter here:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=22248667

For what it's worth, I occasionally use my 32" HD-ready TV (720p @1366x768) from 70cm distance, and it's "fine" for most things, takes a while to get used to, though. But if the DM2752D doesn't go above £400, I'll be getting that, probably.

Soldato
OP
How much in a hurry are you?

LG is supposedly releasing DM2752D fairly soon. It's a 27" 3D (passive) IPS monitor with TV tuner integrated. (Is this the same one you were looking forward to?)

One thing you should remember: for the optimal 3D effect, you really need some substantial viewing distance from the monitor. Therefore 32" might be too big, unless you have a couch or something in the back. And that's also the reason why most 3D monitors are 23" (second reason being cost).

If you don't care for the 3D part, you could instead get the M2752D, which is apparently the same, but without 3D. And this one is already available (around £250, maybe?), no waiting required.
Link: http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-M2752D-monitor-tv

Discussion on the latter here:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=22248667

For what it's worth, I occasionally use my 32" HD-ready TV (720p @1366x768) from 70cm distance, and it's "fine" for most things, takes a while to get used to, though. But if the DM2752D doesn't go above £400, I'll be getting that, probably.

The one I was looking at is the DM2780D so im guessing the one you have mentioned is a newer model, its on offer for just under £250 which makes it good value especially with the 3d bit.

Soldato
Yeah, when the digital connections on my 24" Hyundai PVA monitor started to break, I upgraded to a 32" EdgeLED Panasonic DT30 and run through HDMI. It's a perfect setup for me and I think the viewing angles are better than my PVA monitor (it has an IPS screen) and the colours are better. The pixels are more noticeable but you get used to it very quickly and gaming is really good on it from my PS3. I sit only about 2 ft from the screen which is mounted on my wall and love it.

Associate
The one I was looking at is the DM2780D so im guessing the one you have mentioned is a newer model, its on offer for just under £250 which makes it good value especially with the 3d bit.

Hmm, the DM2780D is a TN panel, which means the viewing angles are inherently bad. And for 27", that's usually a problem. Well, depends on your viewing distance. But from normal viewing distance of 50cm (or closer), you might experience color change on the sides, and especially on the edges.

Personally, I would recommend going with IPS, if at all possible. If you want to keep the budget below £300, you could have a look at here. IPS 23" 3D (passive) monitors, though they don't have a TV tuner in them.

Back
Top Bottom