Warranty repair thoughts

Soldato
Hi There,

Long time since posting here. I have had a username change for some personal reasons and would be grateful if it was kept that way :). I know the OcUK detectives are good. :p

I have a Rav4 2008 with a very very slight whine on the gearbox between 15 - 50 mph depending on the weather and gear. This issue is a known issue with Toyota and they have provided a Toyota Service Bulletin for the work. Seems like a silly question, but I'm pondering on whether it is worth getting this fixed while I have 8 months in warranty remaining. Here's a link to the TSB for those mechanically minded http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&sqi=2&ved=0CF0QFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autos.ca%2Frav4-TSB.pdf&ei=cdwBUKH9NMmZqAHa8pmzDA&usg=AFQjCNG09TipgrSEJMiy3FGT4-OvBf58lA

Many online forum posts advise that the noise can get worse with the initial fix, with the end result being a new gearbox to completely resolve the issue. All of this should be covered under warranty but I'm sure getting a new gearbox will be no walk in the park (forum posts seem to suggest this also). Wife primarily drives the car and cannot hear the noise. I'm worried about it getting worse out of warranty and having a $lol bill to resolve.

Thoughts? Am I trying to fix something that really doesn't need fixing?

TIA.

Soldato
Hi There,

Long time since posting here. I have had a username change for some personal reasons and would be grateful if it was kept that way :). I know the OcUK detectives are good. :p

What an odd thing to say.

I have a Rav4 2008 with a very very slight whine on the gearbox between 15 - 50 mph depending on the weather and gear. This issue is a known issue with Toyota and they have provided a Toyota Service Bulletin for the work. Seems like a silly question, but I'm pondering on whether it is worth getting this fixed while I have 8 months in warranty remaining. Here's a link to the TSB for those mechanically minded http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&sqi=2&ved=0CF0QFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autos.ca%2Frav4-TSB.pdf&ei=cdwBUKH9NMmZqAHa8pmzDA&usg=AFQjCNG09TipgrSEJMiy3FGT4-OvBf58lA

Many online forum posts advise that the noise can get worse with the initial fix, with the end result being a new gearbox to completely resolve the issue. All of this should be covered under warranty but I'm sure getting a new gearbox will be no walk in the park (forum posts seem to suggest this also). Wife primarily drives the car and cannot hear the noise. I'm worried about it getting worse out of warranty and having a $lol bill to resolve.

Thoughts? Am I trying to fix something that really doesn't need fixing?

TIA.

Get it fixed under warranty, surely? :confused:

Soldato
took me all of about 1min 30 secs to find your old username :D

Took me about 15 seconds. :D

Back on-topic - Get it fixed.

A VW I had exhibited similar symptoms. Mentioned it to the dealer when it was in for a service, was told it was fine and there was nothing wrong. A couple of months later something broke inside the gearbox and punched a hole in the casing with three days warranty remaining...

Soldato
OP
Back on-topic - Get it fixed.

A VW I had exhibited similar symptoms. Mentioned it to the dealer when it was in for a service, was told it was fine and there was nothing wrong. A couple of months later something broke inside the gearbox and punched a hole in the casing with three days warranty remaining...

That's not good at all. Was it a recall, a known issue or just bad luck?

I'll take it in and see what they say. If it gets worse after the "fix" then that's the risk I take. Not ideal tbh. I don't want to be fighting a dealer for a new gearbox at the end of a warranty.

Will keep you posted.

Last edited:
Soldato
It became a common problem on 'boxes from 1998/99, sub-standard rivets in the differential if memory serves.

Fair play to the dealer, they took a look the next morning when I dropped in unannounced. Explained I was off to Scotland on business the next day and they loaned me a demo car of the same type as mine for a week instead of a Lupo. Took it away with 100 miles on it, returned it with over a 1000 and fully run in! ;)

Back
Top Bottom