What's your camera history?

Soldato
My first camera was a Zenit B. Was as excited as a very excited thing when i bought it at the age of 13 Paid for by pea picking during the summer holidays.
For a 13 year old schoolboy in 1971 the Zenit B was the only SLR i could afford.
It did give access to a huge range of M42 lenses, which was a big bonus.

Helios_2.jpg

Next up was a Nikon FM. Bought with the compensation from a motorbike accident :D A great camera, but i always hankered after a Nikon FA.

IMAG0036.JPG

Next was a Bronica ETRS. In real terms, it is the most expensive camera i have ever owned. Fantastic images for a poor man's Hasselblad. Unfortunately i could never afford a good 6cm x 4.5cm slide projector, so didn't keep it for long.

3283060049_592259c4cc.jpg

Next was a Cannon T90. Bought to replace the ETRS for slide work and i'm still using it to this day. The forerunner of today's cameras in both styling and features, other than AF. It still produces stunning slides.

3485362847_28dc8b9332.jpg

Finally my current DSLR, a Cannon 5D MKii. Not much to be said about it really. Cannon fanboys love them, Nikon fanboys hate them.
I'm just an owner, and love it to bits. It's my first DSLR and i intend to build up a lens collection and keep it for many years to come.

Canon_EOS_5d_mark_ii_front_view_2_MD.jpg

Soldato
2002 - Vivitar v3800N (college)
2004 - Canon 400D (hobby)
2010 - Canon S95 (day to day)
2011 - Canon 60D (work)

Still have all of them. Although not old the Vivitar is in our office on display with my grandad's Polaroid, box camera and a few others.

Soldato
Olympus Mju ii
Fuji Finepix F30
Canon 20D
Olympus Trip 35
Olympus E420
Olympus E620
Canon 40D
(Canon 400D Spare body to my 40D)
Canon 5D MKii
Voigtlander Vito B

Eyeing up the Fuji x100 for Christmas. Oh god.

Soldato
In terms of actually getting into photography

Canon EOS 600 (Dad's, shutter broke)
Lumix TZ7
Nikon D5000 (Dad's)
Canon 5d Mki

Associate
Fuji f31d
Panasonic FZ28 (mistake buying this one as I thought this was a DSLR lol)
Bought Bryan Petersons book
Nikon D300 (mistake corrected)
Nikon D3s (caught NAS syndrome)

Associate
My first camera was a Zenit B.

Wow that really takes me back, I remember having a couple of Russian rangefinders then saving up ( for ever ) from a paper round to get a Zenit B. Just as I was about to buy it my dad gave me some extra cash so I could get the E model, it had ....... TTL !!!

Happy days :)

Soldato
Wow that really takes me back, I remember having a couple of Russian rangefinders then saving up ( for ever ) from a paper round to get a Zenit B. Just as I was about to buy it my dad gave me some extra cash so I could get the E model, it had ....... TTL !!!

Happy days :)

Yep, my best friend had a Zorki 4K.............it was a very good camera for the money and a big assortment of lenses to choose from.
The E model had a meter above the lens i thought, not TTL ?

Soldato
As a kid I had a succession of terrible film point and shoots mainly of the cheap or freebie variety with the fold up plastic viewfinder squares I seem to remember a few of these beauties

SupaSnaps "Snappit II" by 1980jp, on Flickr

and one of these that I had for years

Micro 110 camera by inkiworld, on Flickr

I then went through a long period of using disposable cameras as they were cheap cheerful and did the job without me worrying about loosing them!

Yellow box, 27 shots by ohdeartabitha, on Flickr

Then came my first digital after much deliberation and review reading I opted for one of these beauties, the Olympus c300z which served me well for a few years and is still in a box upstairs!

OLYMPUS CAMEDIA C-300 ZOOM by datsusaramode, on Flickr

My interest in photography then started to develop along side my desire to see more of the world so just before a trip to cuba in 2007 I upgraded myself to a bridge camera in this case the Fuji S6500fd

Fujifilm Finepix S6500fd by Rolf F., on Flickr

This stayed with me for almost exactly a year before the SLR bug bit and it was replaced with a 30D for the summer of 2008 in Thailand.

Canon EOS 30D Front by Mixmaster, on Flickr

The 30D may have filled my need for a digitial SLR but it didn't stop me buyin up other interesting toys in particular and Olympus Trip (such a good point and shoot) an OM10 with 28mm, 50mm and 135mm and a Fuji Instax 210!

Olympus Trip 35 by Süleyman, on Flickr

Olympus OM10 by Fat Photographer, on Flickr

Fuji Instax 210 by Attila con la cámara, on Flickr

The 30D has also now been replaced with a 5dmkii which will hopefully last me a good while!

Canon EOS 5DmkII by Abram Goglanian, on Flickr

Last edited:
Soldato
As a kid I had a succession of terrible film point and shoots mainly of the cheap or freebie variety with the fold up plastic viewfinder squares I seem to remember a few of these beauties

SupaSnaps "Snappit II" by 1980jp, on Flickr

Those are what I had!
Though they were themed to look like monsters.

I'd totally forgotten they used that cartridge type thing rather than a 35mm film roll.

Soldato
Most of my cameras have on loans or hand me downs from my parents.
The ones that I used or owned the most:
Ricoh compact - for when an SLR was not appropriate
Nikon FM - used this for years extended loan. Full manual cameras were very satisfying to use.
Nikon Coolpix 900 - my first digicam
Nikon Coolpix 990 - still going strong but it is not exactly a compact. The only problem now is the battery cover likes to fly open at bad moments
Nikon D50 - bought in 2005 so I could try some proper photography again when dslr's became affordable for me.
Nikon D200 - my current borrowed camera, it is surprising how much nicer it handles than the d50.

Back
Top Bottom