Huawei Ascend G300

Soldato
Ditties. I asked on here but when I found out what I was actually meant to be doing it was easy. Voice and texts worked, but no data. Just meant changing the data login details, took about 30 seconds.

Associate
Would I be correct in saying this is the new "budget" (<£150) phone to go for? Where would be the best place to purchase from?

My Gen 2 San Francisco is about to give up after a year or so of heavy use (and misuse) and this seems to be a good replacement. Does anyone have experience with both, is it much of an upgrade?

Additionally, I'm planning to use my existing Giff Gaff sim and it appears it's relatively simple to unlock, either it comes unlocked or a £5 eBay unlock code is all that is needed?

Soldato
Would I be correct in saying this is the new "budget" (<£150) phone to go for?

My Gen 2 San Francisco is about to give up after a year or so of heavy use (and misuse) and this seems to be a good replacement. Does anyone have experience with both, is it much of an upgrade?

Additionally, I'm planning to use my existing Giff Gaff sim and it appears it's relatively simple to unlock, either it comes unlocked or a £5 eBay unlock code is all that is needed?

Before I got my S3 I used a San Fran 2 for Android stuff. I got my Dad an Ascend G300 recently and for the price I was blown away with it.

I upgraded it to ICS quite easily and it's a very smooth experience all around.

Browsing the net is fine and you can even throw in a few games for good measure!

Side by side, IMO, the Ascend G300 is a nice upgrade from the San Fran 2. Mainly because of the extra screen size and ICS, but I found browsing on the G300 to be much more of a joy. Everything just felt a lot smoother.

I used an unlock service on Ebay for my Dads, it cost £5 and I got the code quickly. No issues at all. :)

For the price point, you really won't regret the purchase.

Associate
Thanks for the response! Seems worth it and it's getting really good reviews online. There doesn't seem to be much that even comes close to competing. Also, by gen2 I meant the gen 2 original San Francisco, not the San Francisco 2, so I expect I'll be even more suprised :p

Soldato
Got two of these so far the first was faulty the battery died after 30 mins even from a all night charge. Replacements been fine but the main issue is you have to deal with Vodafone who are the most useless inept gits I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

Soldato
Thanks for the response! Seems worth it and it's getting really good reviews online. There doesn't seem to be much that even comes close to competing. Also, by gen2 I meant the gen 2 original San Francisco, not the San Francisco 2, so I expect I'll be even more suprised :p

This will certainly be a big upgrade from the original san fran then. :)

Associate
I take it that doesn't have to speed enhancements that the "Jelly Bean" ROM has...so still has slightly laggy menus etc?

Is that OTA aswell or do I have to do some funny stuff?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom