Window Tinting?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;22407207 said:
Am I the only one who is perhaps slightly concerned that volunteers are driving around in police cars pulling people over and making judgement calls in things they have no formal training in :confused:

It's hardly like he is using his nose to do a roadside emissions test though is it, exactly what type of training do you need to be able to visually judge that a window tint is well beyond what is legally permitted? an art GCSE at grade F or higher should suffice.

He said that if the level is questionable he would call for backup with the appropriate kit to do a full test. I don't really see what more could be expected of him or any other officer :S

Soldato
I would pay someone else to do it personally. Did the tint thing when I was younger with a friend and it looked pretty good from a distance, but close up there were obvious air bubbles and 'gaps' at the edges etc where poor cutting practice took place.

I reckon to get a perfect job you'll probably waste a few quid and hours of your time getting it right (if at all).

Soldato
Lolin at the people in this thread giving the special grief.

All Police officers are humanbeings, they are not trained robots because they are dealing with othe humanbeings, how are any of you surprised at this? The Police always make judgement calls themselves, there's no precise mathematical equation on whether or not to do a specific thing that is flawless.

Why do you think there are so many complaints about them and how do you think so many of the privileged people in here get away with so much and think they do a good job arresting the nonprivliged?

It's easy to sit back and give the Police grief, lord knows its one of my fave things to do, but you have to appreciate the position they are put in, it's an impossible job to get right.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;22407207 said:
Am I the only one who is perhaps slightly concerned that volunteers are driving around in police cars pulling people over and making judgement calls in things they have no formal training in :confused:

So if they are paid that's ok? :confused:

Also, I'm just guessing, but most volunteers aren't allowed out without a babysitter full timer for a long long time so they get a hell of a lot of on the job training.

Soldato
then they should ALL accept that they can make mistakes and dont know it all (i realise this doesnt apply to every PO)

Sadly that attitude is bound to come about in a lot of people when given the kind of power they are, like the type of school bully that's hard because they constantly have back up from lots of their friends, only it's fellow colleagues. It's what leads to such a tight brotherhood and the blue wall of silence. Get them on their own and it's another story, which is why individual cops can be so nice and down to earth so often.

Anywayyys

OP, what exactly do you need privacy for? I can see the need for tints if your a celebrity or something, but apart from getting caught picking your nose, why do you care if people see you driving your car?

Your just asking for agro from the Police, and rightfully so (I wouldn't want to approach a drivers door to open it without being able to see in), for what gain?

Soldato
OP
OP, what exactly do you need privacy for? I can see the need for tints if your a celebrity or something, but apart from getting caught picking your nose, why do you care if people see you driving your car?

Your just asking for agro from the Police, and rightfully so (I wouldn't want to approach a drivers door to open it without being able to see in), for what gain?

Wasn't planning on doing the fronts at all. Just the back. Should look good at 15% and similar to some models which come out of the factory with them.

Associate
Baffling why you would need training to spot a front windows too dark?! Im glad a cop actually does this

HID's and dark front window tints are 2 of my pet hates on cars at the minute

I have no love for the police myself and get pulled on regular occasions "just because" give them the time and they genrally give it you, however you do get the odd idiot who's desperate to find something on the car.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is a rule on tinted rear lights isn't there?
Maybe just not enforced enough - although if I were a copper I'd pull them as I'm sure there would be other things wrong too!
I've seen some absolutely silly rear light tints - to the point where indicators and brake lights really couldn't be seen.
A menace and a danger!

Caporegime
Baffling why you would need training to spot a front windows too dark?! Im glad a cop actually does this

so, if I pulled any random person off the street and presented them with a car, they should be able to tell me with total accuracy if a set of windows let enough light through?

I mustn't have been born with this information, someone else needed to tell me, that's training, be it formal or informal it all amounts to the same thing.

Associate
so, if I pulled any random person off the street and presented them with a car, they should be able to tell me with total accuracy if a set of windows let enough light through?

I mustn't have been born with this information, someone else needed to tell me, that's training, be it formal or informal it all amounts to the same thing.

Anyone with a care about tints yes.

A copper isnt a random person off a street and the other thing is they wouldnt pull you for having them if they didn't know or have any idea about it.

I read it online id hardly call it training but like the cop id imagine 90% of the time most people with an intrest in it would be able to tell if they were dangerous or not.

And the tinting rear lights gets me too, buy some proper ones if you want them the DIY ones not only sometimes dangerous they look ****!

Soldato
I attempted to tint my 3 rear windows last week. I'm very happy with the two rear side tints which I can't actually fault, but the boot window is proving a nightmare. I think I'll have to get a professional to do it. It's due to the shape of the rear window I think, I just can't get rid of all the bubbles without causing creases.

My tints are 35% which is nice IMO. I wouldn't want them any darker.

Back
Top Bottom