Off to Thailand for 3 weeks... share your tips and advice please!

Soldato
There are some dirty people in this thread... :p

There are much better things to see and do in SEA than the red light districts of Thailand.

Just hope you can sleep well when you get back to England and think about the human cost of your vacation pleasures...

Caporegime
OP
There are some dirty people in this thread... :p

There are much better things to see and do in SEA than the red light districts of Thailand.

Just hope you can sleep well when you get back to England and think about the human cost of your vacation pleasures...

I don't think there is a human cost to meeting hot European backpacker chicks. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
If you are interested in Thai culture pick up a copy of Cultureshock: Thailand. I really enjoyed this book. I spent ~13 months living and working there amongst Thai people and this book was quite handy.

Soldato
Thinking of booking Nov 22nd - Jan 4th in Thailand on my own. Going to see STA Travel in a couple of weeks. I mainly want to just try and experience lots of things and meet loads of people so hostels in a must.

Never done anything like this so pretty much crapping myself lmao! But also super excited, should be a mind bender!

Caporegime
OP
Thinking of booking Nov 22nd - Jan 4th in Thailand on my own. Going to see STA Travel in a couple of weeks. I mainly want to just try and experience lots of things and meet loads of people so hostels in a must.

Never done anything like this so pretty much crapping myself lmao! But also super excited, should be a mind bender!

I'd love to try the backpacking experience too... quite daunting though if you've never done that kind of thing before.

Soldato

you will be fine

its a very traveller friendly place especially for people on their own and you will meet lots of people in similart situation

go for it. you will love it :)

Don
Congrats man, i'm sure you'll have an awesome time!

We're starting off in Bangkok for a couple of days, then heading north to Chang Mai (elephant + tiger reserve) and Chang Rai. Then heading down to Phuket and back to Bangkok;

Any places in which I've missed out which are must visits? Maybe head over to Cambodia whilst we're in Phuket too :)

Last edited:
Soldato
My mate went to Thailand whilst working in Oz, he was going for a week, ended up staying for about a month after he met a women there. When he got back i asked him if i could see the pics of her, he showed me the pictures and i was like, so show me the pictures of her because what i saw, in my eyes wasn't a women, he assured she was. He has a ball of a time tho

Soldato
I'm in Malaysia at the moment to renew my Thai visa, and my advice is avoid Koh Phi Phi, Phucket, Krabi and basically all the west coast because it's monsoon season. The islands on the east like Koh Tao/Pha Ngan/Samui are really nice at the moment with an hour of rain every couple of days. It might be better to go north and visit Chiang Mai and then Pai, both brilliant places. If you want to go to an island I would recommend Koh Tao and do an open waters diving course if you have the money. I did one recently and it was fantastic.

In Bangkok go to Soi Cowboy to see all the stripper bars, it's worth it for the experience. Visit Siam Paragon, a ridiculously big shopping centre. Don't spend more than 2 or 3 days in Bangkok, it's a waste of time.

You should have gone for more than 3 weeks.

Bangkok -> Chiang Mai -> Pai -> Koh Tao -> Bangkok
Should be good.

Caporegime
OP
I'm in Malaysia at the moment to renew my Thai visa, and my advice is avoid Koh Phi Phi, Phucket, Krabi and basically all the west coast because it's monsoon season. The islands on the east like Koh Tao/Pha Ngan/Samui are really nice at the moment with an hour of rain every couple of days. It might be better to go north and visit Chiang Mai and then Pai, both brilliant places. If you want to go to an island I would recommend Koh Tao and do an open waters diving course if you have the money. I did one recently and it was fantastic.

How much is a diving course?

In Bangkok go to Soi Cowboy to see all the stripper bars, it's worth it for the experience. Visit Siam Paragon, a ridiculously big shopping centre. Don't spend more than 2 or 3 days in Bangkok, it's a waste of time.

You should have gone for more than 3 weeks.¨

What, magically create time off work that I don't have? :p Im sure it wont be the first and last time I take a holiday, no need to try and fit everything into one trip. :)

Associate
Everything this ^ guy said. Soi Cowboy (or insert other red light district here) is worth a visit. It's harmless fun if you want it to be, went with my girlfriend :eek:. We went to a bar/strip club called Long Gun, standard strip club, but they also throw in a show at 11. Includes some novel uses of a vagina. Though from what I have heard from other people it was far more tame than what goes on in the full on ping pong shows you'll find in Pat Pong (?).

Associate
My dive course was £200, some places will even throw in accommodation. I can't recommend Master Divers enough, you will see their shop as you get to Koh Tao on the ferry.

Back
Top Bottom