• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3570k, did i et a bad clocker?

Associate
First off, I am using a Thermalright TRUE with one fan that is at about 900rpm. Temps are 40c (in the current hot weather), and about 80 load with prime. (realtemp)

I can only get 4.4GHz at 1.28v (1.288 in CPU-z) stable. Was kind of under the impression i should be able to get lower voltage than this. Did i get a bit of a dud or is this likely normal?

I'm OK with a clock of 4.4Ghz, it's the voltage that makes me think it's not a good 3570K

43535513.jpg

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If i tried 1.31v @ 4.8 GHz like in your sig, I think it would have a heart attack!

The TRUE "seems" to be doing a reasonable job with temps, hopefully it's not a limiting factor as I'm considering getting a second chip in the hopes of a better clocker.

Any very specific bios settings on these Z77 boards i may have overlooked and thus limiting my overclocking attempts?

Associate
Might be the weather?

I just got my 3770k and at stock i am hitting temperatures slightly lower than your overclocked ones on a Thermal Right Ultra (TRUE) with two 1,900 rpm Vipers.

My heatsink does not feel hot like it did with the q6600. Making me think its not seated properly? Or does Ivybridge not make heatsinks hot like a q6600?

Soldato
I wouldnt be overclocking in this weather.

This is THE weather to overclock in, if temps are good now then you've got a 24/7 365 overclock that'll survive anything.

The voltage is so-so, not brilliant but not terrible. The heat issue is likey a combination of the weather, the usage of Thermal compound between core and IHS instead of being soldered in Ivy and the TRUE being maybe slightly (just slightly) out of its league with high clocking i5s etc..

Associate
Check for motherboard BIOS updates, my 2500k wouldn't get over 4.2GHz without crashing regardless of voltage. Can do 4.6GHz+ easy now.

Back
Top Bottom