*** The Official Google Nexus 7 Thread ***

Associate
Tempted to pick one up from HMV tomorrow, but all these reports about faulty units are seriously putting me off.

Do the majority really have defects?

I believe that most have screen lift to some degree (or will do so in time). It is a design flaw IMO and does not bode well for long term durability.

Soldato
I wouldn't expect their CS department to be fully staffed at 5 in the morning! Around 11pm to midnight here is probably a good time... few calls from UK and possibly a quiet patch as the US are finishing work, but Google CS should be fully staffed. I could be totally wrong, but that time of day has always worked for me.

It is a UK 0800 number that gets forwarded to the USA. I am absolutely not going to try and resolve problems at midnight just in the hope of not having to wait an hour for an ineffectual agent.

QED poor CS.

Associate
A competitor sent me an e-note saying they were out of stock until the 10th of august. But early today I got a payment confirmation then a despatch confirmation. Delivery estimate of tomorrow(doubt it seeing as I got the despatch confirmation at 8pm today). I guess someone cancelled or they got their stock early, roll on the delivery day :).

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Bummer just got mine on Monday, today after a few hours gaming I have noticed that the screen has raised and is now uneven. Looks like I am going to ave to return it.

Associate
Bummer just got mine on Monday, today after a few hours gaming I have noticed that the screen has raised and is now uneven. Looks like I am going to ave to return it.

they will sort this out in the next batch... the returns rate must be in excess of normal expectations.

Soldato
I've had mine for 5days now, as I said before it has the screen lift issue but I'm not sure if I should return it or just stick with it. is it really likely to get much worse over the coming weeks/months to the point it'll crack?

on anther note, those who are rooting which method is best to use? there are 2 methods on xda which seem ideal for the 'noobs', the wugfresh toolkit and m.sabra oneclick root tool which to use? the wugfresh one has the option for re-locking the bootloader and un-rooting, can that be used even if you've rooted using the m.sabra method?

Last edited:

wnb

wnb

Soldato

I will give Tesco's a call tomorrow to see when they can return it. Loving it so far, cracking bit of kit.

Associate
I collected mine about 3-4 days ago, called Tesco today and they're sending a replacement/collection out for Friday.

I asked the guy what happens if that one is faulty and they said you can either swap it again or refund it.

All sorted in under 2 mins, must admit I was impressed with the service.

Associate
A few pages back, there was a post about getting free $10 worth of credit by signing up to Google Wallet.. I've had someone hint since then that its not enabled for N7's outside the US, but can't find anything definitive. I just get lots of results about how my N7 is supposedly enabled for it with 3.1.1, but I can't find any app installed for it, nor can I install it from the app store (says it's not compatible).. Is this normal? Or do I need to do a reset?

Man of Honour
Not had much of a chance to play yet but update done:

nexus72.jpg

£15 Google Play credit received. The screen and body all look fine to me.

Soldato
You spent long in electronics manufacturing/design?

I'm not, but I know simple physics and have the back off my Nexus. As I've posted before there is a piece of foam tape that is pushing the screen away from the frame - as your Nexus gets hot it's likely that the glue will fail and it *will* probably get worse in my opinion.

The simple thing to do (as I've mentioned before) is just to remove the foam tape, it could easily be replaced with another bit at a later date. It's there as a precaution to stop you pressing down too hard on that part of the screen but it doesn't seem to do that job very well while at the same time it will likely push your screen away from the frame over time.

Soldato
I'm not, but I know simple physics and have the back off my Nexus. As I've posted before there is a piece of foam tape that is pushing the screen away from the frame - as your Nexus gets hot it's likely that the glue will fail and it *will* probably get worse in my opinion.

The simple thing to do (as I've mentioned before) is just to remove the foam tape, it could easily be replaced with another bit at a later date. It's there as a precaution to stop you pressing down too hard on that part of the screen but it doesn't seem to do that job very well while at the same time it will likely push your screen away from the frame over time.

To be fair, I removed this piece of foam on my first one and it appeared to correct the problem. A day later, the screen was raised again.

I wouldn't recommend anyone doing this if they have concerns about RMAing to Asus. They are fussy buggers. Even remove a piece of foam they could refuse the RMA / Repair.

Soldato
A few pages back, there was a post about getting free $10 worth of credit by signing up to Google Wallet.. I've had someone hint since then that its not enabled for N7's outside the US, but can't find anything definitive. I just get lots of results about how my N7 is supposedly enabled for it with 3.1.1, but I can't find any app installed for it, nor can I install it from the app store (says it's not compatible).. Is this normal? Or do I need to do a reset?

You need to get the hacked APK to obtain it and get the free $10, and then it's basically impossible to top it up. (Need a US address)

Until it officially launches in the UK, it's not really worth worrying about.

You also need to be rooted and push the .apk file to system/apps

Soldato
I removed the foam and heated up the N7 as best I could playing tranformers and charging up the device for 5 hours. All this while I had clamped the left hand side of the bezel with about 8 large washing pegs.

I then turned off the device and left it pegged up over night. I took the pegs off this morning and then left for work.

I will see at 3pm whether it has worked :)

Back
Top Bottom