• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Official GTX 670 thread***

Soldato
Dont think heat is a factor with these, under load and a decent fan profile temps dont go above 65

*** Noob Alert ***

Just got my GB WF 670 and really pleased with it, not that fussed about overclocking it tbh but would like some kind chap to fill some blanks in for me :). Its running far cooler than my 5870 ever did so that's a good start but due to my work requirements I need a lot of desktop space thus I run PLP (20" - 30" - 20") the card is 45 degrees in desktop. In game though it gets up to about 75 degrees which whilst significantly cooler than the 5870 is still 10 degrees warmer than what you're suggesting it could be.

Therefore when you say "fan profile" what do you mean ?

Last edited:
Soldato
^ In MSI afterburner go to settings and enable user defined automatic fan control

Then you can modify the fan curve to make the fans spin faster at certain temperatures.

Then make sure the fans are set to auto and user in the main afterburner gui and you're all set.

Soldato
*** Noob Alert ***

Just got my GB WF 670 and really pleased with it, not that fussed about overclocking it tbh but would like some kind chap to fill some blanks in for me :). Its running far cooler than my 5870 ever did so that's a good start but due to my work requirements I need a lot of desktop space thus I run PLP (20" - 30" - 20") the card is 45 degrees in desktop. In game though it gets up to about 75 degrees which whilst significantly cooler than the 5870 is still 10 degrees warmer than what you're suggesting it could be.

Therefore when you say "fan profile" what do you mean ?

download afterburner or evga precision x and alter the fan profile

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

http://www.overclock.net/t/646422/how-to-adjust-your-fan-curve-in-msi-afterburner/0_100

Soldato
Hmmm, mine idles at 28-30 depending on ambient temps, I only run dual desktop - 23" + 24" so I guess triple set up with a 30" will do that, download EVGA Precision X or Afterburner to manage your fan profile.

Soldato
I think the bigger issue is that my CPU is under a water block so I have the case fans turned right down so its likely that my internal case temps are elevated.

Soldato
I think the bigger issue is that my CPU is under a water block so I have the case fans turned right down so its likely that my internal case temps are elevated.

With the custom cooled cards, they may be a little quieter but you do have to factor in cooling everything else that is being "Cooked" by the card ;)
The piper as they say, has to be paid....unless you like running your hardware hot !

Get that cards fans turned up and also your case fans, 60c ish is plenty hot enough for electronics (if your bothered about life and reliability)

Associate
Just purchased the "EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (02G-P4-2670-KR)". Upgrading from a Radeon 5850 which has served me really well for the past 3 years.

Just wanted to know how much of a performance increase will I see with the 670 over the 5850?

Are we talking HUGE increase here?

cant wait for it to arrive tomorrow :D

Associate
Just purchased the "EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (02G-P4-2670-KR)". Upgrading from a Radeon 5850 which has served me really well for the past 3 years.

Just wanted to know how much of a performance increase will I see with the 670 over the 5850?

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/512?vs=598

Yep I'd say that's a huge increase.

Soldato
Well my GTX280 kicked the bucket last week so my new shiny Asus 670 should be here tomorrow. That card has done me proud, fairplay.

Can. Not. Wait.

:D

Associate
Just got new set-up that included an i5-3570k, and 670 Windforce. Was upgrading from 'gaming' laptop, so of course was expedting big improvement. But not this much, mainly play BF3 and amazing. Ultra settings , 60fps constant (vsync on as 60mhz monitor). Pricey 670 but totally worth it. Not ventured into overclocking yet, see no point yet.

Associate

Post back how you get on mate - I currently have a 5850 and am thinking about upgrading to a 670 (not sure which one to go for, quiet & cool being my priorities).

Associate
Got my windforce today (upgrading from a 5850 too). Doesn't seem to be a great OC'er can't run unigine heaven higher than 1202mhz core. Oh well, will see what I can do with the ram now.

edit: Ram fared better. Ended up with 1202 core 3758 memory, heaven stable. Have to give it a go with 3dmark and games.

Last edited:
Associate
Had my windforce x 3 for a couple of days now,is it cool,and quiet,you bet,i'm impressed,temps not gone above 60c on bf3,left fans on auto using msi afterburner,my case is a haf-x,so that may have a bearing on temps a little.

Soldato
Got my windforce today (upgrading from a 5850 too). Doesn't seem to be a great OC'er can't run unigine heaven higher than 1202mhz core. Oh well, will see what I can do with the ram now.

edit: Ram fared better. Ended up with 1202 core 3758 memory, heaven stable. Have to give it a go with 3dmark and games.

What ! You can set the core to 1202mhz and you don't think that is good ?

Back
Top Bottom