Upgrading my cooling

Associate
Hey guys,

recently I built a new computer and all is well but I'm worried about the temperature my CPU is hitting.

It's an i5 3570k (currently not overclocked). I had some problems with the computer when initially building which involved taking stock cooler off twice. I did reapply thermal paste etc but it's running around 40-45 degrees (c) when not being tasked with much, then upto 60-70 when running games.

I've recently also started putting some fraps videos on Youtube and when it renders/compresses the video (whatever its doing), it's started going above 80 and sometimes above 90! And this is without being overclocked.

I'm starting to think I need a decent cooler and some decent thermal paste and looking for recommendations.

Was looking at this cooler:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-001-CS&tool=3

Is that all I need to put over a CPU, along with some thermal paste? Should just slot right into the motherboard like the stock cooler right?

Thanks for all your help. Hopefully if I can get the temps right down then I can go ahead and overclock the CPU

Soldato
What case do you have?
How much do you want to overclock?
Overclocking is free but keeping overclocks cool costs money.
What is your maximum budget?
How much encoding will you be doing?
Because when you are encoding you will be using 100% cpu same as stress testing.

Many of use want the best cooler we can afford because we want to overclock as much as we can. ;)

Associate
OP
I guess overclocking is the least of my worries.

I'm only encoding fraps videos to stick on YouTube of games. I'm just not liking the temps I'm getting at the moment. But to answer your questions..

I have a Coolermaster HAF 932
I want to overclock to as much as possible without playing with voltages
Not really thought of a max. I guess value for money £25-50?

Back
Top Bottom