Olympic Opening Ceremony

Man of Honour
I didn't see the point of him being there, what was he meant to represent? The sad state of social care for the elderly? Looked like he was doing pretty well, unable to move or stand, but a nurse to hold him and sort his piece.
He lit the cauldren at Atlanta, and that should have ended his involvement.

Can't see the reasoning behind including him now.

He was gold medal winner at Rome in 1960 and went on to dominate the heavyweight division. He epitomises everything about what sport is, he is arguably the best athlete of all time, certainly the greatest heavyweight of all time and in the eyes of many he is the best pound for pound of all time.

Welcome to London I say.

Soldato
He was gold medal winner at Rome in 1960 and went on to dominate the heavyweight division. He epitomises everything about what sport is, he is arguably the best athlete of all time, certainly the greatest heavyweight of all time and in the eyes of many he is the best pound for pound of all time.

Welcome to London I say.

I agree with what you are saying, about a boxer, who won a medal 60 years ago. Greatest heavyweight yes, pound for pound, debatable. Everyone else in that final runup represented something, what was he there for? I either missed it in the commentary, or there wasn't a specific reason?

Associate
Wow -I thought the whole thing was amazing(and waaaay better than I was expecting).. I loved the little bits of British humour thrown in.Thought it was incredibly well done and I also was very very proud to be British while watching it..well done to all involved. The only thing I would have changed is no Artic Monkeys and no McCartney-as I thought they spoiled it lol ! .

Associate
Wow -I thought the whole thing was amazing(and waaaay better than I was expecting).. I loved the little bits of British humour thrown in.Thought it was incredibly well done and I also was very very proud to be British while watching it..well done to all involved. The only thing I would have changed is no Artic Monkeys and no McCartney-as I thought they spoiled it lol ! .

I would also have done away with the Hey Jude stuff because its been done a million times before. But I should think the crowd at the stadium enjoyed it.

Soldato
Kelly Holmes said something in the build I thought very interesting, 75% of the UK team are competing for the first time. Will be a great achievement to do as well or better the previous games. I know many will have been building towards this, but i think we will have a few new household names out of the next couple of weeks. I recognised few of the athletes as they entered the arena, when they are out of their gear.

Soldato
The technical rehearsals ran up until around 10:15, the house party bit with the WWW inventor.
Personally I didn't think the show translated as well on screen, it was a great feel when in the stadium.

Spectaular finale, got some decent shots of the Red arrows and of some fireworks. Looking forward to the game snow :D

Soldato
I did actually enjoy that, there were some parts where you were cringing but overall we put on a good show I thought, love the whole building the circles industry thing.

Permabanned
You do have a man crush on old becks:p

I think he is an excellent role model and despite not being invested in the Olympiad, he did more to secure and promote Britain and the Olympics than any other single person, he deserves recognition for that. I don't particularly like Steve Redgrave after his bad temper during comic relief....but as an Olympian he deserves his place. I am pleased it was the young athletes that lit the cauldron though.

Now I can go back to watching more interesting things until the closing ceremony. :)

Permabanned
That texting scene was so so so dire. It showed a face of Britain that no one really wants to see.

The rest was superb.

Back
Top Bottom