Replacement for HTC Desire needed

Soldato
For the last couple of years I've been using my HTC Desire, rooted and using LeeMod instead of all Orange's badness.
I absolutely loved this phone and had no intention of upgrading until it got stolen by Cuban luggage staff from my suitcase. :mad:
So anyways, I'm after another phone now on contract.
Can anyone recommend a good replacement for an HTC Desire (4" or under screen)?
HTC One S is the natural upgrade?

Thx for any help.

Associate
I was attached at the hip to my (Orange / CM7 Rooted) Desire.

I had no intention of changing it until it started to die on me (random reboots etc) the other week

I was also in the mind set of the Desire's replacement having to be less than 4". My gf has the HTC One X and I could'nt get used to the size at all. At first. Then, the size finally seemed to work for me one day.

I ended up replacing my Desire with a Galaxy S3 and I couldn't be happier :D

I've since used a mates Desire and cant understand why I was wanting to keep it!

It takes nothing at all to get used to the size, so I would go with the best spec phone you can afford rather than worrying about the size of it - obviously they all work the same once you add whatever ROM to it

Hope that helps :)

Caporegime
Essentially the top end phones are the:

GS 3
One S
One X

If size is an issue then obviously the one S is the best choice for you (4.3" screen, the S feels smaller and more comfortable etc. than the GS 2, which also has a 4.3" screen)

Robbo has written a good guide about those 3 phones, strengths/weaknesses etc.:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18417660

Although I personally disagree with the camera, IMO it is a tie between all 3 and also disagree with the Phone/cell performance, the one S is only a problem in this area if you experience the signal issues (and the X seems to have a few problems with the signal as well).

Essentially all 3 of those phones are a HUGE improvement over the desire.

The GS 3 is a more "complete package" than both the S and X.

And if you want you can read my review of the one S (in sig below).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You seem concerned about the size, so the One S would make the most sense.

Don't write off the S3 unless you've actually tried one though, it's very easy to handle (and the benefits of it are worth it, unless there's something specific you don't like about it).

Soldato
oh because i knew it by S3/SIII not by GS3...should be SG3 then not GS3 :p

i'm also looking to change my HTC DESIRE to something middle, not high class as SG3/HTC ONE S/X...Should SG Nexus suffice? Would like clean Google OS.

Soldato
oh because i knew it by S3/SIII not by GS3...should be SG3 then not GS3 :p

i'm also looking to change my HTC DESIRE to something middle, not high class as SG3/HTC ONE S/X...Should SG Nexus suffice? Would like clean Google OS.

The Nexus is a great upgrade over a Desire and a great phone overall, you'll be happy.

Soldato
i was talking about Samsung Galaxy Nexus S not the older Nexus S :)

My usage is standard + navigation + need of larger memory space for apps :)

And believe i was looking for used SG2 no luck :)

Caporegime
i was talking about Samsung Galaxy Nexus S not the older Nexus S :)

My usage is standard + navigation + need of larger memory space for apps :)

And believe i was looking for used SG2 no luck :)

Yeah, just noticed that after posting my original post :p :o

Yup, it is a great phone in some ways, hardware (except the screen) is a bit lacking though but in real world usage you won't notice much difference at all especially since the JB update :cool: Quite a few people have said that is smoother and feels quicker than the GS 3.......

If it wasn't for the screen and stock android/google phone I don't think it is worthwhile over the SGS 2.

For your uses it is perfectly good though :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thx for the replies guys. I've actually just had a play with my mates GS 3 and it's a nice piece of kit with a stunning screen. It's just the size that puts me off, I really couldn't get used to that.
Looking at the 12 month contract @ £36 for the One S on Vodaphone is tempting, especially with first 3 months unlimited data. No SD card slot seems like a backward step though.

Man of Honour
Thx for the replies guys. I've actually just had a play with my mates GS 3 and it's a nice piece of kit with a stunning screen. It's just the size that puts me off, I really couldn't get used to that.

How do you know? You probably could get used to it quite easily, it just may not seem like it at first.

Looking at the 12 month contract @ £36 for the One S on Vodaphone is tempting, especially with first 3 months unlimited data. No SD card slot seems like a backward step though.

Yeah, you're stuck with around 12GB (in total) of storage which may be a bit low...

Man of Honour
I'm not so sure about that, it's a bit of a faff taking the back off just for that, when you can use a wire... :p

Caporegime
Yeah, I am sure if you had it for a day or 2 you would get use to it.

Regarding storage:

I still have like 5GB left (out of 10GB) and 1.63GB (out of 2.21GB) for apps (got over 73 installed, quite a few games installed as well) and could easily free about 4GB up as the majority is just photos/videos etc. (over 800 now)

EDIT:

Just seen what you meant...... :p

As robbo said, for me that is too much faff :p

Just connecting the phone using the cable is easier or better yet, using estrongs or/and airdroid to transfer stuff over LAN without wires! :p

EDIT:

BTW this is a pretty damn good 12 month deal! (for the S)

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=22399896&postcount=1793

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom