What would happen if i try to power this with a 350w PSU?

Soldato
Going off just the specs you listed your looking at a 346-374w draw depending if your 3ghz D is a Presler or Smithfield core. (thats minimum not recommended and only includes KB/mouse not an army of LED fans you forgot to mention).

If your not going to be gaming or running the card flat out then you should get away with it, ive managed worse before now.

Edit:

If you haven't bought the card yet then don't

I would only be getting the 4890 because i know where i can get a 4890 and 4gb of xms2 with custom heatsinks for £60.

Ask in MM for 4gb of DDR2 and grab one of these http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-149-MS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat= then your golden and for <£60

Last edited:
Associate
I wouldn't bother with that XFX PSU just for an old PC like that, but I would spend at least £30 on a cheapy Corsair, CM or OCZ unit.

Not sure I would wanna power on a 4890 1Gb card with a 350w generic power supply! :p

Soldato
Considering his CPU would would bottleneck even entry level gaming cards to hell...what he should do is sell his 4890, get a 6670...job done!

There's ABSOLUTELY no point trying to get his current setup to work, consider both the PSU AND the CPU is not powerful enough for the 4890.

Soldato
You've had some good advice here. Mostly that you should use onboard graphics. Using two **** psu's at once will be interesting, because they'll disagree on what 12V is and probably on what 0V is. That'll damage things at an unknown rate.

If you value any of the hardware, don't plug it together. I'd chose whichever FSP looks least knackered and use onboard graphics (on the basis that the graphics card is the most valuable thing there).

If you just don't want to listen to reason, then plug it all together and trust to luck. You'll get something which is both slow and unreliable, but it probably wont catch fire.

Caporegime
OP
You've had some good advice here. Mostly that you should use onboard graphics. Using two **** psu's at once will be interesting, because they'll disagree on what 12V is and probably on what 0V is. That'll damage things at an unknown rate.

If you value any of the hardware, don't plug it together. I'd chose whichever FSP looks least knackered and use onboard graphics (on the basis that the graphics card is the most valuable thing there).

If you just don't want to listen to reason, then plug it all together and trust to luck. You'll get something which is both slow and unreliable, but it probably wont catch fire.

i HAVE listened to peoples advice, and i dumped the idea to use 2 PSU's at once. My question changed because i am now using different components. I am going to use one of the PSU's as a stopgap (the best one of the lot) and i am going to sell most of my old pc junk, then buy a quality PSU.

Back
Top Bottom