BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Caporegime
To date (hate tempting fate again) I've never been throttled regardless of time or day. Yes I've changed some settings (as mentioned a few times throughout this thread) but have they made any difference.... no idea.

Man of Honour
I'm a firm believer that all these settings make no difference whatsoever and it's simply hit and miss whether or not you find P2P throttled during the day.

Purely as test I've installed uTorrent and left the settings at default. Some days I'm not throttled and others I am throttled. Others have had similar results.

I've also found torrents to be completely random in terms of being throttled. Most of the time I'm unaffected, then the next time it's really slow. In saying that, I only torrent when I can't find something on usenet.

Associate
Is anyone here on a 160Mb trial? I've just recently went on it, but estimated speeds are like 50-70Mb for dl and 18-20 up. I guess up speed is alright but my concerns go to the dl speed, which disn't change a bit from the upgrade. I was on 100/15 option.

Soldato
Never heard of that trial, any details mate?

MilanoChris: I have dropped a almighty clanger:eek:, a few weeks ago, I had a email offering me a trial at either 160Mbps ,300Mbps & some other higher speed I think, was only available customers who renewed contract with BT for another 18 months.

It popped up in spam, so I deleted it.:(

Last edited:
Associate
When BT started to offer Infinity they were doing open connection trials for certain places. I've done it in last year, basically I had a 40Mb fibre optic connection for free for almost a year. And now they started another one which include testing 160 and 300 Mb speeds. The current trial runs out at the end of 2012. I'll find some links and paste them here.

MilanoChris: I have dropped a almighty clanger:eek:, a few weeks ago, I had a email offering a trial at either 160Mbps or 300Mbps, was only available customers who renewed contract with BT for another 18 months.

It popped up in spam, so I deleted it.:(

Yes Your right mate, i was only 2 months on new contract, so I've signed up for it, but dont see the change in speeds.

Last edited:
Associate
Well that sucks. I might get on their message boards then and say I'm not getting near the estimated speeds. Did I read that if you get 10Mb lower than your estimated that it means they are not giving you the service you paid for? Or does it only have to be higher than 10Mb? Only I was estimated 44Mb and I get 30Mb.

I was estimated to get 64.4mb and I'm getting 50mb! I did query it but the call centre just told me that it was the maximum the line could handle

Not sure I believe it.

Associate
I can't download any torrents until 12. The speed is about 5kbs. No matter how much I play with the settings.

Did you try these with uTorrent? they work for me 24/7 and max out my download speeds...

Options > Preferences

"Connection"
> Port used for incoming connections: 21

"Bandwidth"
> "Global Rate Limit Option" - ensure none of these three boxes are ticked
> "Number of Connections" - Global: 256. Per Torrent: 64. Upload slots: 8. Tick "Use additional if under 90%"

"BitTorrent"
> "Basic BitTorrent Features" - ensure all boxes are ticked except "Enable Bandwidth Management" and "Limit local peer bandwidth"
> "Protocol Encryption" - Outgoing: Forced. Allow incoming legacy connections: Ticked.

"Advanced"
> "bt.transp_disposition" - increase to 255 and click "Set"

Soldato
Solved my connection problems - at least most of them...

Connected the main PC directly to the router, rather than to the switch which was connected to the router. Download speed seems unchanged, but upload speed has changed from 2meg to 12meg.

I think I'll be replacing the router.

Edit : And having the PC connected to that port means the rest of the network communicates to this PC at fast ethernet rather than gigabit ethernet, which makes the network unusable.

So either I get cripped upload (unless I multithread) or I get crippled network. BT I'm sure will not support this in any way, so I'm left having to buy a new router. :/

Last edited:
Associate
Homehub has come today, should be installed on Tuesday. Can't wait.

Currently on 3 down and 0.3 up, expected about 50 down 6 up I think.

Edit: Hopefully the ping will lower as well as it is currently about 70.

Associate
Im due for the 76mb upgrade on the 17th.

Does an engineer need to come out, or is it just turning something on.... does it take time after requesting it or is it fairly immediate?

Do you already have 40Mb? If you do then it doesn't require an engineer and you will need to restart your HH3.

Back
Top Bottom