Home made flea repellent?

Soldato
Carpet cleaners can help a fair bit, I know our cheapo vax one helped a lot the one and only time our cats had a problem. You have to do it regularly as well as using all the usual spot-on treatments etc once infected though to wipe them out quickly.

Soldato
H2F: Personally I wouldn't bother with the diam earth etc. Just get a couple of cans of Indorex (I used two in a 2 bed bungalow but could've gone further as I still had some left) and go to town. All I did was remove the cats to my mum's for two days (after making sure they weren't crawling), sprayed the house from top to bottom (esp nooks and crannies) and then went to the movies. BY the time I got back the spray had settled and, although it smelt a bit odd, it was fine.
As for the ankle issue, I just wore wellies and water-proof trousers. :)

Good luck man. An infestation is a real pain and mine was driving me nuts until I discovered Indorex. Damn, I sound like an info-mercial. :D

Soldato
OP
H2F: Personally I wouldn't bother with the diam earth etc. Just get a couple of cans of Indorex (I used two in a 2 bed bungalow but could've gone further as I still had some left) and go to town. All I did was remove the cats to my mum's for two days (after making sure they weren't crawling), sprayed the house from top to bottom (esp nooks and crannies) and then went to the movies. BY the time I got back the spray had settled and, although it smelt a bit odd, it was fine.
As for the ankle issue, I just wore wellies and water-proof trousers. :)

Good luck man. An infestation is a real pain and mine was driving me nuts until I discovered Indorex. Damn, I sound like an info-mercial. :D

I've read too many good things about DE to not try it haha

It's extremely cheap anyway. 5kg of the stuff was less expensive than a can or two of flea spray. Even if DE doesn't end up working well to clean my carpets and open areas, it's extremely useful for nooks and crannies since it lasts forever once put down and doesn't deteriorate. So having it around will definitely be useful, even if I do end up declaring chemical warfare on them. :D

Also, I just popped to sainsburys and got some lemons. One's steeping right now. I really hope this will keep them off me just long enough to sleep a bit.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I don't see why it isn't a viable option, but hey-ho.

From my understanding of flea bombing every living thing needs to be out of the house for 4-5 hours correct? Possibly longer.

The getting everyone out of the house part is the problem. We have 5 cats, 4 dogs, 2 chinchillas and a guinea pig. And 7 people. We wouldn't have anywhere to go for that length of time, honestly. Our relatives live far away and I'm not willing to subject my friends (who I'd have to spread different animals out around different houses) to animals with fleas. It's just too awkward of a situation.

Associate
A couple of years ago my house got totally infested with fleas :( from a stray cat that kept coming in ..one thing that worked quite well...was put a dinner plate with water and a splash of fairy liquid in it on the carpet and put a desk lamp next to it so that the light shines onto the floor over the dinner plate and warms it...its amazing how many of the little blighters jump into it .

After a week of that I bought a flea trap which was basically a sticky pad with a lightbulb above it..that worked great as well..I also flea powdered all the carpets and hoovered everyday..but it did take a long time to fully go...

eeek am itching as well now LOL !

Soldato
We had cat fleas courtesy of a previous tennant, we tried flea bombs, various sprays and so on but the only effective solution was to get the exterminators out.

Our landlord is a really tight *******, despite us not having pets and moving into an infested hole for a couple of months we didn't even get a temporary rent reduction.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
I think you are mixing things up.

Fleas, once inside, will not go anywhere. They don't migrate back outside, you can't ask them to leave.
There are only two things they are designed to do in life. Multiply and feed.
They multiply fast. And once they start they life cycle can hibernate from anywhere between 12 days to 174 days. Each female can produce 100 offspring a week.
They prefer to feed on animals, but if animals aren't available, or don't taste too nice, they will gladly feed on human species.

Considering all of the above, unless you suspect fleas outside and you don't have them yet inside, there is NO scenario, upon which you would want to REPEL them. Repelling, means moving them deeper into carpets and hibernation and re-occurring issues for months. Repellant on your animals means they will feed on you.

Do not repel. Kill. Eradicate. That is what you want to do. Murder the motherlovers. You have three well established, working choices.
- Smoke bombs (proper industrial grade stuff, if off the shelf, go for Raid or Beaphar stuff, none of the Dr. Martins cack).
- Indorex.
- Flea drops, where your pet is used as a weapon, fleas go to feed on them, byte them then die horrible death. Among those the best is Beyer Advantage/Advocate, then long, long nothing, then Frontline. Don't use any of the supermarket stuff, you don't want to be saving money - it needs to kill, it needs to last, it needs to come in a pack of three so you can keep killing them for at least quarter of a year.

Last edited:
Associate
A house i lived in had a serious infestation, i tried the usual sprays and powders but it did absolutely no good. In the end phoned the council's pest control dept, for £50 two blokes came round with a sprayer. They sprayed the whole house, whatever this stuff is kills on contact. We were told not to hoover for two weeks and if there is any sign of them after that to call back.

Had a very good nights sleep that night :D

Associate
Mustard is very good (I use Colmans english)

You can apply it directly to your ankles, but I prefer to dissolve half a pot of in a hot bath.

Keeps them pesky fleas at bay for what seem like ages :)

Associate
i assume you have now treated your pets with the anti-flea stuff from the vets? you should do that every 6months even if they dont have any.

i would get the council to spray the entire house, for instant flea death!!!!! forget all this repellent stuff and "oh we'll need to be out of the house for a few hours blah blah" go sit in the garden for an hour whilst they spray....

Soldato
OP
i assume you have now treated your pets with the anti-flea stuff from the vets? you should do that every 6months even if they dont have any.

i would get the council to spray the entire house, for instant flea death!!!!! forget all this repellent stuff and "oh we'll need to be out of the house for a few hours blah blah" go sit in the garden for an hour whilst they spray....

Liverpool council does not deal with fleas

Soldato
OP
A quick update. I hoovered a lot of my room and made some lemon spray yesterday, and it seemed to work great. I actually slept for the full night and I noticed I wasn't itchy nearly as much yesterday evening. So thanks for the lemon stip Siliconslave. Just watching for the Indorex to arrive now so I can start properly killing them.

Back
Top Bottom