Travel insurance suggestions with a proviso!

Associate
The proviso being that I'm not in the UK currently but I want to purchase some travel insurance for a 5 day break in Italy leaving tomorrow.

Can't believe I'm having so much trouble finding a place to take my money... Each place I've tried so far, Post Office, Direct-Travel, have had a condition spring up at the last moment saying that I must be in the UK 'when' I purchase the insurance.. wtf. :(

Can anyone suggest me some decent places which don't require this baffling rule?

Any advice really appreciated.

Man of Honour
What exactly do you want to insure yourself against? In my experience travel insurance is usually a massive-con - it looks so great but then when you think about the things you'd actually claim for you realise you are getting almost nothing for your money. It's absolutely essential in places like the US - the medical bills alone are awful - but in Europe...?

I just cover myself with an ultra-cheapy 18 quid annual policy for the bare minimum.

Associate
OP
On the face of it I agree with you. But my girlfriends giving me massive stick about it, she's already got a annual cover from her work.

Where have you seen this £18 annual cover from, that sounds a bit too cheap plus of course are they going to pull the same **** as I've mentioned, having to be in the UK at the time of purchase?

Man of Honour
Virgin Essentials I think it is. Alternatively if you just want Europe, American Express Essentials at £22ish is pretty good value too.

Though frankly unless you need rescuing after breaking your leg rock climbing in the middle of nowhere its hard to see what you'd ever claim for. Most stuff you'd worry about losing isn't covered, etc etc.

Soldato
Have you had a look at protect your bubble?

http://uk.protectyourbubble.com/travel-insurance/

Looking in the T&Cs, I can't see anything about being in the UK at the time of purchase - You do have to have had your main home as within the UK for the last 6 months though.

Mine's due to expire soon but I paid £35 for a years world wide coverage inc USA for me and the girlfriend.

I've also never had to make a claim so I can't comment on their quality of service.

Man of Honour
Exactly, which is why the absolute cheapest policy is probably the way forward, becuase everything other than pretty much that you'd never claim for anyway.

Back
Top Bottom