** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Associate
The mind boggles how we can do this, was the moon no enough we have to go after mars.
a tiny tiny dot in the sky, truly awesome/amazing.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is why we must keep on spending money on these sort of missions instead of pointless wars which solve nothing.

100330-MSL-overview-02.jpg

msl20110519_PIA14156-fi.jpg

323874_10151116584471772_837843370_o.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
"Time to see where Curiosity will take us"

*sigh* Bet that mother ****** had that line planned for weeks!

Very award hug with that younger girl though. :D

Soldato
Knew they'd do it.

Yay :D

This is why we must keep on spending money on these sort of missions instead of pointless wars which solve nothing.

Sadly we do seem to get a lot of advances in technology when at war. I do agree with the sentiment though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are they still decoding stuff? Any ideas on when we'll get an update on the exact details of what happened?

Did it all go exactly to plan? Was all the expected data transmitted? Did MRO and Odessy both collect data?

Associate
The mind boggles how we can do this, was the moon no enough we have to go after mars.
a tiny tiny dot in the sky, truly awesome/amazing.

And people still believe the moon landing was all a fake... Sigh.

Saying that though, everytime I climb out of an airliner that's just took me across the pacific ocean at 500mph I look at the jet and think "how the **** did that thing just fly, it looks like a bag of spanners".
To be able to put something like this on a planet which appears as a tiny bright dot in the sky quite frankly is unbelievable.

Soldato
10 days after an Olympic opening ceremony which celebrated British engineering heritage, the Americans show us how engineering is really done. I still can't get over the fact that sky crane business actually worked without a hitch. A fantastic achievement.

Associate
Only if that was possible.

All 3 rovers are dead
Pathfinder / Spirit / Opertunity

Well thats not quite true

Opportunity is still operational and moving about although its activities are limited

Nasa said:
This Week - sols 3017-3022, July 19-24, 2012:

Opportunity is roving at the north end of Cape York on the rim of Endeavour Crater.

Progress was again impacted by a second safe mode entry by the Mars Odyssey orbiter. With normal Ultra-High Frequency relay with Odyssey restored, Opportunity was able to drive on Sol 3019 (July 21, 2012).

That drive, of over 138 feet (42 meters), was a "V" trajectory with the rover first driving toward the small impact crater named "Sao Gabriel" for mid-drive imaging, then a near reverse drive away toward the geologic cut called "Whim Creek."

On Sol 3021 (July 23, 2012), Opportunity drove across Whim Creek with a 33 foot (10 meter) drive toward some surface targets. On the next Sol, the rover collected a Microscopic Imager mosaic of the target "Mons Cupri" before placing the Alpha Particle X-ray Spectrometer down on the same. The plan ahead is some more driving before the operational stand-down around the time of the landing for Curiosity.

As of Sol 3022 (July 24, 2012), the solar array energy production was 507 watt-hours with an elevated atmospheric opacity (Tau) of 0.772 and an improved solar array dust factor of 0.727.

Total odometry is 21.52 miles (34,633.40 meters).

Associate
yeah true about Opportunity rover. It's main immediate limiting factor is amount of dust on solar panels (which occasionally gets "dusted off" by dust devils) and continued funding to control and manage it's operations.

Latest "tweet from Curiosity":

FYI, I aim to send bigger, color pictures from Mars later this week once I've got my head up & Mastcam active #MSL
https://twitter.com/MarsCuriosity/status/232412416728788992

Soldato
Does anyone have a link to the full press conference from today? I caught the trail end of it when I got into work but would love to watch from start to finish.

Back
Top Bottom