Extending wifi and Lan.

Soldato
I have an Asus RT-N56U router connected to a BT FTTC modem.
I also have my old Netgear DGN2200 ADSL Modem/Router. I want to be able to connect the DGN2200 by Lan cable to my Skybox, TV and Blueray player, but the DGN2200 would need to talk to the Asus through a wireless connection.
So the question is, can it be done ? If it can, how do i do it ?

Soldato
OP
Not sure if it can be done but have you considered homeplugs to connect the two routers together?

At the moment i have got the 2 routers connected with homeplugs, it's the only way i could get the Lan ports on the DGN2200 to work. The wifi works fine, i change the SSID to match the Asus and set both security settings the same. So i now have 2 Asus wifi connections to choose from. Not ideal, but it does work.
I was hoping though that there would be a way of getting the Lan ports to Pass data over the wifi.

Associate
The asus router could be flashed with dd-wrt firmware. This has the option of running the router as a repeater bridge.

The repeater side extends the wifi range, and the bridge also adds the LAN connectivity.

This would have no additional outlay in cost.

Soldato
The asus router could be flashed with dd-wrt firmware. This has the option of running the router as a repeater bridge.

The repeater side extends the wifi range, and the bridge also adds the LAN connectivity.

This would have no additional outlay in cost.

This.

It took me several goes but if you follow the instructions it can be done (I managed it with a WRT54G and will be doing the same with an E3000 when it arrives this week).

Soldato
check the firmware on the router does not allow it to be turned into an access point.

when messing about flashing firmware remember a wireless access point is only £30

Back
Top Bottom