** The Official Space Flight Thread - The Space Station and Beyond **

Caporegime
It is a shame that NASA is seen as just a toy with too much money in the US today, though it will be quite interesting to see how private enterprise deals with the responsibility.

Soldato
FVzfDZlEwaU?hd=1

Thanks. Think I might have been a bit premature when I searched. It would be interesting to see what other countries have contributed to the mission from an engineering perspective. They seem to be a bit reluctant to share.

It's a shame the general public don't appreciate the R&D benefits of missions like this.

Associate
This popped into my mind so I made a quick Photoshop...

curiosity.png

*giggle*

Associate
Brilliant Achievment :) ...was really pleased when I saw it had landed safe and sound.Am really looking forward to what info it sends back over the coming years,and very pleased for all involved that it didnt do a beagle lol :D

Soldato
In regards to the MRO picture. Is that the first time a probe / rover has been photographed during its descent to a planet?

I'm sure there was another one, although not nearly as high resolution as that. Google isn't cooperating with me finding out which one it is, it's all news articles about Curiosity, i'll get back to you... :p

EDIT: It was Phoenix in 2008:

Sr858.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Just out of curiosity, but how come we don't have a video from the hazcams of the decent? I understand the technological constraints of relaying video data back to earth in real time but doesn't curiosity have some sort of on board memory where it could record the descent, store it to memory then relay it to one of the orbiters when they pass over?

Caporegime
Just out of curiosity, but how come we don't have a video from the hazcams of the decent? I understand the technological constraints of relaying video data back to earth in real time but doesn't curiosity have some sort of on board memory where it could record the descent, store it to memory then relay it to one of the orbiters when they pass over?

I can only imagine its systems are packed up somehow and don't operate until landed.

Soldato
I'm just watching the documentary about this on iPlayer right now and the decent mechanisms just to get this thing on the surface of Mars is absolutely mind blowing in itself.

Associate
I'm just watching the documentary about this on iPlayer right now and the decent mechanisms just to get this thing on the surface of Mars is absolutely mind blowing in itself.

It is really absolutely amazing. The sky crane just drops Curiosity off too and then flies off, maybe crashing somewhere outside the crater.

I'd say it's a shame it has to just disappear but it's done its job I suppose, and done it very well too.

Back
Top Bottom