Humpback whales perform migration spectacle

Associate
Went on that tour 2 weeks ago and saw nothing of the sort. FML!

Interestingly the captain said that behaviour got common in September, but they tended to follow the current much further offshore, so it was a lot more hit and miss as to whether you saw them..

Soldato
Beautiful animals. We saw a mother and her young humpback whale off Vancouver Island last year, and will be going whale watching again as soon as we can afford it. Also looking forward to the time when there will be no whale hunting by Japan and other countries :mad:.

Soldato
When I was in australia a few years ago heading out to the great barrier reef, a family (2 large and one small) of humpbacks did exactly the same thing, literally a few meters from the boat. They swam directly underneath the boat a few times too. It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

They weren't afraid of our boat because it was relatively small compared to the usual GBR tourist boats :)

Infact, thinking back, this would have been the 8th of August 2008! Those whales have some damn good timing!

Associate
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19179554

Only a few pictures here but nature can be an awesome thing. Humpback Whales 'breaching' just a few meters from a boat load of people!!!

I saw something like this a few years ago in Cape Verdé. Absolutely stunning!!!

Number 5 makes me moist (in a good way) :)

Went out on a tour in Sydney last year around this time and saw nowt but a few tails and a few humps (and had to go miles out just to see that). Luck devils seeing big breaches that close up so far into the harbour.

Soldato
Just awesome. Whale watching is so amazing. I have been twice off the east coast of USA. Loved it each time. Even the sceptic I went with got lost in the moment.

Seeing tigers in the wild 2ft away from the unarmed open backed truck that I was in was similarly awesome.

I need to get a safari sorted, then Sri Lanka for blue whales and Svalbard for polar bears.

Soldato
OP
Wow!! :eek:

Link

whalef.jpg

Soldato
Went out on a tour in Sydney last year around this time and saw nowt but a few tails and a few humps (and had to go miles out just to see that). Luck devils seeing big breaches that close up so far into the harbour.

Same here! We were on the big boat you can see in the second photo in the article.

Back
Top Bottom