USA East coast - where to tag on after Rhode Island in November?

Soldato
At the start of November I'll be heading to Providence, Rhode Island for a work conference for a week, but I'm looking to tag on 3-5 days afterwards to see a one or two places. I'm guessing I'll fly out of Providence at the end of the conference and head to one of the obvious connecting airports:

Chicago
Toronto (Canada I know, but it's very close)
Baltimore
Washington
Newark
Charlotte (NC)
Philadelphia

I've already seen New York recently, but would consider other cities as well as any other interesting options, especially if there's good food and great scenary involved!

Any opinions?

Soldato
Seconded for Boston, went for a week at end of June this year (my 3rd visit). It's a lovely city, locals are very friendly, crime rate is very low for an American city and there is absolutely loads to do.

I'd recommend:

Trip to Salem, can either get train ($2-$3 on Amtrak) or Ferry from Boston Harbour.

Visit Harvard and MIT, area around Harvard is very nice and MIT has a really good science museum. You can freely walk around the campuses, whilst we were there they were playing Rugby League at MIT which was quite amusing. We sat on the bleachers and watched a good bit of the game!

Take the Duck tour, WW2 amphibious boats which ride around the city and finish with a tour on the water.

Visit the Red Sox stadium

Boston Science Museum is amazing and has so much to do

Take in the sights, Boston is heavily influenced by the European settlers and the city is a quaint mix of historic and new buildings.

Visit the Samuel Adams Brewery, tour is free (they ask for a donation) and you get a good range of beers to taste. It has one of the few nice American lagers to boot!

Ride the "T", Boston has the oldest subway system in America but you can buy a Charliecard for $15 which gives you 7 days unlimited usage of the bus and subway network. The subway network is extensive and the different lines link in at various hub stations.

If you even look like you're going to cross the road in Boston, the cars will stop to let you cross. Compare that with the 2 days in Chicago where they actively try and run you down! We did the 2 days after Boston, and although it was a good 2 days I couldn't imagine spending more time there as it's a proper big American city much like New York.

Soldato
Would second Boston. I loved our trip there - clam chowder... mmmm :D

Plus one for Sam Adams for a free tasting (don't forget photocard ID!). There's some good shopping - the stores might not be open all night like some in NYC but they were a whole lot quieter. See the USS Constitution at Charlestown Navy Yard, which is a short walk from the Bunker Hill monument.

The area around Back Bay East (eg Newbury Street) is good for shops.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom