The Official 'The Dark Knight Rises' Spoiler Discussion Thread...

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Saw this last weekend, loved it :)

However, only a few things still puzzle me...

1) Batman has all these uber gadget and vehicles, shows up in Gotham at a moments notice, ergo, must have some money and live relatively local.. yet no one suspects Bruce Wayne?

2) See below.
35. Also during this fight scene, Bane gives lines that is misdirection to lead the audience to think Bane is the child born in the pit despite the fact that he isn't He has no reason to lie to Batman at this point regardless he says to Batman after Batman makes the lights go out, "I didn't see the sunlight until I was a man." We know this isn't true because he wasn't born in the pit prison. Talia was born in the pit prison. It almost makes it feel like they got halfway through filming before deciding that Marion Cotillard was going to be a bad guy in a sudden twist ending.
Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/?a=64971#ofLrvbzsfhRFHSiA.99

Soldato
We know he wasn't born in the prison... But where was he born, then? I was under the impression that we didn't get told. He could have been born in a sewer in London for all we know.

Associate
One theory I read is that he was also born in the pit and that's why he wanted to protect Talia, but I don't buy that. Anyone born in there would be expected to be like Bane if they grew up there, a total monster.

One thing about Bruce being there though is that he wouldn't be attacked by the other prisoners since Bane was in charge of the prison and he would have told them to leave him alone so he could see Gotham get blown up. It would be a bit pointless if he flew Bruce all the way there and he was killed on the first day. Also, the medic helping him says he gets paid to keep him alive.

The whole prison doesn't make sense though, where were the guards, what was that palace next to it (the above ground part?)? Although I thought it showed Talia's mother there. And there is no way a kid could escape and not an adult. And how did she survive the desert? Bane said even if someone escaped, all that awaited them was unending thirst.

Soldato
Bane was born in a prison. Why are you all saying he wasn't?:confused:

And he doesn't say anything about a desert. Just that trying to escape was like sailors who are dying of thirst, going mad and drinking sea water.

Soldato
Bane was born in a prison. Why are you all saying he wasn't?:confused:

And he doesn't say anything about a desert. Just that trying to escape was like sailors who are dying of thirst, going mad and drinking sea water.
He was in the comic book, but since when has that automatically meant the same thing had to be true for the film? That was part of the beauty of the twist, everybody thought that Bane was actually born in the prison, because of the comics... And that made the twist that Talia was the child all the more powerful.

Soldato
He was in the comic book, but since when has that automatically meant the same thing had to be true for the film? That was part of the beauty of the twist, everybody thought that Bane was actually born in the prison, because of the comics... And that made the twist that Talia was the child all the more powerful.

I'm not saying that, but there is more evidence to suggest he was born in a prison than he wasn't.

Caporegime
Saw this last weekend, loved it :)

However, only a few things still puzzle me...

1) Batman has all these uber gadget and vehicles, shows up in Gotham at a moments notice, ergo, must have some money and live relatively local.. yet no one suspects Bruce Wayne?

2) See below.

Well theyre wrong about the Gordon letter not being in his pocket when he's captured, you see it being taking out of his pocket clear as day and bane reading it.

Soldato
Saw this last night, worst of the three by far. It is a good film of course, but compared to the last two it has a lot wrong with it.

imo the bad bits:
* Bane is a good villian but his voice at times was either hard to understand or just sounded silly.
* As people have said the prison could have been focused on a lot more, set up way darker and differently - I would have been happy if half the film was about Batman fighting his way through, earning respect, building himself up then finally escaping with the help of the criminals. (better of two evils etc???)
* the trailer ruined a crap load of good scenes in this movie especially the stadium bit which I felt would have had so much more impact had i not seen the trailer.
* I liked catwomen in this, but its still catwomen in a film and not one director has yet managed to convey anything like she is in the comics (where catwomen (gen 1 or gen 2) comes across as a decent human being with a lot of flaws and generally a bit fed up of being catwomen)
* The bomb was cheesy, as was batman taking it out of the city and then clearly not die'ing with it.
* there wasn't a lot of batman/Bruce was there? I felt I saw more of everyone else then him.

the good:
* nice to see Liam reprise his role for a little bit
* I liked how they linked it into the first film
* robin was cool - best character imo
* flying craft was good, despite cgi issues.
* comedy tones were just right

anyway theres my rant, worth seeing 100% yes and I hope he does make another with Robin in it. The fact that Nolan/Bale said they would never do a film with Robin in it was clearly pre-screening rubbish (given that hes in the bloody film) , so it would be interesting to see if they both do actually want to do another film in the future.

Amazing trilogy though.

Last edited:
Soldato
John Blake essentially acts as Robin throughout the film though. He has aspects of three Robin's in his character too.

Although I do see what you're saying, yes; he's never really Batman's sidekick in the film.

Associate
* As people have said the prison could have been focused on a lot more, set up way darker and differently - I would have been happy if half the film was about Batman fighting his way through, earning respect, building himself up then finally escaping with the help of the criminals. (better of two evils etc???)

I thought the same thing. There was a parallel between Bruce and Bane (both smart, good at fighting and were apprentices of Raz Al Gul), so I was hoping Bruce would fight in the prison like Bane (well I thought Bane fought there, but they never showed it) and at the end he would earn their respect rather than fear and they would help him escape. So one of them would be turned evil by his experience in the prison, and the other would be made better (rise above it). Maybe the movie would be too long though.

I do think they should have made his stay in prison much longer, like he should have met Bane as soon as he arrived in Gotham - like Bane decided if they were going to do their plan they needed to get rid of Bruce (who they knew was Batman). So then Bruce would have been in the prison for a long time healing and training while the League Of Shadows were working under the city. Then Batman would return once the police were imprisoned underground. I didn't like how he came back as the police were pursuing Bane and then they all ended up going after him instead.

Also, then there would be a nice parallel of Bane underground in darkness preparing to destroy Gotham, whilst Bruce was underground in darkness preparing to save it. They could then also avoid the stupid 3 months thing where the citizens aren't really shown and the cops come out looking in really good shape.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Selina is never referred to as catwoman, and just because the guy is called Robin, doesn't mean he is Robin from the comics.

I get the point you are making - the moniker "Catwoman" is not spoken in the film (but I think may have been one of the headlines in the newspapers/documents Bruce and Alfred dig up on her) but Sleina Kyle is Catwoman. Much in the same Harvey Dent is Two-face and Bruce Wayne is Batman.

Caporegime
I get the point you are making - the moniker "Catwoman" is not spoken in the film (but I think may have been one of the headlines in the newspapers/documents Bruce and Alfred dig up on her) but Sleina Kyle is Catwoman. Much in the same Harvey Dent is Two-face and Bruce Wayne is Batman.

No, not really. People need to stop assuming everything in the comics is the same as the films. Harvey Dent is Two-face and Bruce Wayne is Batman because they both play both characters in the films. Selina Kyle is not Catwoman in the films, she's just a thief.

Kind of like Victor Zsasz was in the first film but we don't know if he was the same Zsasz as in the comics (his name is even spelt differently but that's likely just a mistake)

Soldato
I just remembered one of my favourite parts of the whole movie. The bit where Blake opens a manhole cover, and tries to start getting the police out, but the mercs shoot one of them, and drop a grenade down the manhole. Afterwards, they push Blake down a slope, stand around him and are about to shoot, when... BOOM! Batman drops down, and takes all of the mercs out out in about ten to fifteen seconds. The best part is that it's Christian doing the fight scene, and the whole thing was a single angle, a single shot.

Spectacularly good.

Soldato
Saw this last night, worst of the three by far. It is a good film of course, but compared to the last two it has a lot wrong with it.

imo the bad bits:
* Bane is a good villian but his voice at times was either hard to understand or just sounded silly.

Its actually a great voice, its very hard to impersonate.

When you try and do it you realise just how much work has gone into in to it, not very well implemented in the film is what I say, its just a bit too muffled, the actual voice Tom Hardy is doing is a cracker.

Back
Top Bottom