"If we had to slaughter our own meat, we'd all be vegetarian"

Associate
OP
You would if it meant life or death.

I'm not going to disagree because I really have no idea. However, I don't think the point being made is pertaining to a matter of life or death. Maybe if it was was rephrased as,

"If we all had to go into the abattoir and slaughter our own meat, a lot more of us would be vegetarian"

I guess it doesn't have quite the same effect :p

Capodecina
Soldato
In spite of all the keyboard warriorism already prolific in this thread, the main point is that killing for food is instinctive. It is natural.

You may think you wouldn't do it, but if you ate meat regularly you bloody well would. A morning in the abattoir, after which you wouldn't think twice.

Associate
"If we all had to go into the abattoir and slaughter our own meat, a lot more of us would be vegetarian"

I would still not become a vegetarian, but it would take up more time and effort to get the meat.

Its not cruel to cull an animal to eat btw...

Soldato
I think it's getting less at whether or not you would go out and hunt/kill if it was a matter of survival, but if it was you in the abattoir slaughtering the cows/pigs etc, just so you could eat it.

Oh and I'm soft because I don't think I could kill an innocent animal that has just as much right to remain alive as I do? Just so I could enjoy the taste of its meat that really isn't necessary for my survival or nowadays even a healthy diet.

So are you saying that killing guilty animals is fine? If I can find a bovine murderer I can eat him?

Soldato
Instinctively due to the love you have for them, not because you were hungry.

You'd instinctively kill for food to provide for your family too, if you had to.

I think you're forgetting that not everywhere in the world has a Tesco they can pop down to and get some meat from the meat aisle, and I'm pretty sure most of them aren't vegetarian.

Permabanned
I'm not going to disagree because I really have no idea. However, I don't think the point being made is pertaining to a matter of life or death. Maybe if it was was rephrased as,

I guess it doesn't have quite the same effect :p

The problem with that is industrialisation of the slaughtering process took over from doing it at home or within the community as we had to feed more people and turn over produce faster.

I think a lot more people would be vegetarian not because they couldn't kill the animal, but because in today's society they don't have time to do the slaughtering and butchering. It's already prevalent in how our dinners have evolved and the expansion of the ready made / microwave market. I'm sure people would eat a lot less vegetables if they had to go about growing and harvesting them themselves in todays society.

Last edited:
Associate
I can't understand people who say they could never bring themselves to kill an "innocent" (whatever the **** that's supposed to mean) animal when they continue to blindly buy whatever meat they want to from any supermarket after all the husbandry, slaughtering and butchering has been done for them. Either put up or shut up. If it bothers you, stop eating meat.

Yep.
Firstly I think people should be aware of where their food comes from, the fact you get people in the city, or kids, that don't even realise their chicken nuggets come from real chickens or don't know where a potato comes from except in the shape of chips in a bag.. AAAAHHH

Remember the programme, "Kill it, Cook it, Eat it" ?. I found it absurd people couldn't watch that but still could eat meat. To me that's a problem. Everyone who eats meat should know where it comes from.

Soldato
Yep.
Firstly I think people should be aware of where their food comes from, the fact you get people in the city, or kids, that don't even realise their chicken nuggets come from real chickens or don't know where a potato comes from except in the shape of chips in a bag.. AAAAHHH

Remember the programme, "Kill it, Cook it, Eat it" ?. I found it absurd people couldn't watch that but still could eat meat. To me that's a problem. Everyone who eats meat should know where it comes from.

I 100% agree with you.

Maybe if more people took an interest in what happens to the animals they eat, they will start to take an interest in the welfare of the animals lives which are taken to extend ours. :)

Soldato
I dont wish undue harm to any animal, like battery farming and such. I find killing for sport abhorrent.

But would have no problem killing animals for food.

Ive witnessed my father slaughtering a chicken and i would be lying if i didnt wince, but i was young and i wasnt exactly starving. Lets just say i didnt eat chicken that day.

Caporegime
I find killing for sport abhorrent.

But would have no problem killing animals for food.

we don't need meat to survive, we eat it out of choice because it tastes good... why is that less abhorrent than killing an animal for sport?

both involve unnecessary deaths of animals that often wouldn't even exist if it weren't for their use as food or in sport

Soldato
we don't need meat to survive, we eat it out of choice because it tastes good... why is that less abhorrent than killing an animal for sport?

both involve unnecessary deaths of animals that often wouldn't even exist if it weren't for their use as food or in sport

I dont believe life is just about "surviving" i believe animals were put on this great earth for our consumtion.

Eating for food is for a purpose, of feeding yourself/others.

Killing for sport is for fun, theres no fun in killing in my opinion.

Soldato

Actually I have been a vegetarian in the past. I had to get back on the meat because my body wasn't getting what it needed. A diet without meat can be a tricky balancing act.

Caporegime
I dont believe life is just about "surviving" i believe animals were put on this great earth for our consumtion.

Eating for food is for a purpose, of feeding yourself/others.

Killing for sport is for fun, theres no fun in killing in my opinion.

animals evolved just as we did - there was no specific intention behind their existence

lots of animals either hunted for sport or killed for food are specifically bred or 'put on this great earth' for that exact purpose

eating meat when its not actually required for survival is also just done for the enjoyment of it... there is a purpose in both scenarios and neither is essential

Caporegime
would also add that most animals that are hunted for sport are either wild species who's populations need to be controlled and/or they are also used for consumption once killed

Soldato
animals evolved just as we did - there was no specific intention behind their existence

Thats a different topic completely, i was just stating for religious purposes i believe animals were placed on earth for human consumtion.

lots of animals either hunted for sport or killed for food are specifically bred or 'put on this great earth' for that exact purpose

Dont quite get what you are saying here.

eating meat when its not actually required for survival is also just done for the enjoyment of it... there is a purpose in both scenarios and neither is essential

I agree and disagree to some extent.

Ive tried diets where its just eating meat more a less and i found it un sustainable and unhealthy

Ive tried diets where its mainly vegetables and i found it un-sustainable and unhealthy.

I find i need to have both in moderation to live a healthy lifestyle. Others may disagree but thats thier opinion. Theres benifts in both, and they suppliment the body differently.

would also add that most animals that are hunted for sport are either wild species who's populations need to be controlled and/or they are also used for consumption once killed

If they are consumed afterwards no problem, if they needed to be controlled i could see a remote point but even then there are better alternatives that dont involve the enjoyment of killing. Like i said there in no "fun" in killing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom