Help other drivers?

Associate
I was behind a car being driven by a woman today, she overtook someone at 70mph and I followed her, but to my disbelief, her rear tyre was almost flat when she pulled back in to her lane :eek:
I had visions of her just sliding into the field.

Anyway, I had full intentions of following her if she pulled onto a side road to warn her.
She eventually turned off into a sports centre car park, I followed, then chickened out....drove around the car park an on my merry way :p

I did a similar thing when a guys rear lights didn't work, Brakes and indicators.

What do you do when you spot things like this?

Soldato
I was driving along the M62 70ish and a woman in a newish corolla drove by exhaust scraping on the floor with sparks flying everywhere, as we got to J25 traffic crawled to an almost stop, I pulled alongside gave a little pip to get her attention with window down, got the middle finger lol

Soldato
If I saw it before they got in the car in a car park or similar then I would probably say something.

Whilst driving, no chance, will keep way out of the way and pass as soon as is possible if on motorway/dual carriageway. No safe way of bringing it to someone's attention, and as said above, liable for them to abuse/attack you.

Soldato
If they drive for a living I do (lorry drivers, taxis) as they seem to be generally more receptive. I've also been sworn at before for pointing out a flat tyre to someone!

The only one that comes to mind is I was following a HGV and the back doors were unlocked. So one was swinging open every time it went around a corner :eek: I pulled alongside, got his attention and pointed at the back and he immediately pulled onto the hard shoulder. I didn't stick around to see if he was grateful or not though.

Associate
Just depends on the person I guess, I try and tell people if I see anything glaringly wrong and 9 times out of 10 they're gracious for it. You always get the odd **** who doesn't appreciate help though, just ignore them and get going again.

Personally, I would want someone to tell me if they saw something wrong, so I try to provide the same courtesy, whether people like it or not. I couldn't care less if they don't like it.

Soldato
If someone coming the opposite way has a headlight out, I'll give them a couple of flashes, providing the road is quiet and there aren't people waiting to pull out of side roads or anything.

I don't bother when I'm behind someone though, but I've not see anything serious yet.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I pulled a bloke over a few days ago whilst out on my bike, Couple of paps then a wave of the arm did it, His exhaust was hanging off at the back box & bouncing about & I caught him just before he went over 3 sleeping policemen down that way which would have ripped it off. I got a thumbs up & a Cheers mate. :)

Associate
Was stuck in stationary traffic on a dual carriageway once, and along side me was a rather fine young lady in a Ford KA.

I noticed that the petrol filler flap wasnt closed. So I shouted across to her "hey, your flaps wide open"

I then notice her other half in the passenger seat. For some reason he looked quite annoyed with me. :o

100% true story!

Soldato
If someone coming the opposite way has a headlight out, I'll give them a couple of flashes, providing the road is quiet and there aren't people waiting to pull out of side roads or anything.

I don't bother when I'm behind someone though, but I've not see anything serious yet.

If I did that around here my car would look like a police car with the lights constantly flashing. :o

People generally just don't notice or care that they have a headlight out unfortunately. They'll only care when it gets to MOT time and they have to pay for a bulb "but I could see fine mr MOT man". :rolleyes:

Soldato
Two instance of girls leaving their door partially open, one gave me the finger and the other was greatful to be told, people are weird. Told one guy he had a flat, got told that it weren't my business.

Last time, and possibly the last time i help anyone, i told a lady her car had been hit by a van driver in a Tesco car park and maybe to ask for cctv as i didn't get the reg, got told "IT WAS YOU WASN'T IT?" i told her to ^&%& off and drove away :D

Soldato
Done it a couple of times with flat tyres, once with a girls passenger door as she stopped at the traffic lights, she had a young child in the passenger seat and the door was gaping open, so as i walked past i knocked very lightly on the window and just said the door wasnt closed properly and i pushed it closed for her and got a smile and a wave.

Associate
The one you really shouldn't point out is a bald tyre, boy do people hate being told that!
Plenty times i've told people they have a light out and they've said "yeah i know" and that was it.

Caporegime
The worry is the chavs, they're conditioned that any suggestion is criticism and as the low life's clearly have never heeded any criticism, hence they're total lack of achievement in life, they meet it with aggression or abuse.

Caporegime
Rear lights I try to tell people about (let a guy know about his in a McDonalds carpark only the other day), and I also like it when people tell me as it can easily go un-noticed.

Front lights I don't get though. Whenever I have had a headlight bulb go I can tell immediately. I don't understand how people can not notice?

Back
Top Bottom