** Official Mini ITX Discussion/Review Thread**

Associate
With the Bitfenix now out for a few weeks and the massive response that has come from it i thought it prudent to start a thread about the lesser known mini ITX boards.

I would like this thread to help those with all manor of ITX boards not just one type.

I thought we could post our BIOS / UEFI settings and discuss problems or successes we are having, review the kit, post lots of pics ;)

If you dont know you can take screen grabs with most UEFI BIOS, just hit F12, BUT you must have a FAT32 formatted usb drive attached to your PC in order to save the image.

Please if you have any questions or just want to add your two cents list your specs :)

My specs

Bitfenix Prodigy Black
Asrock Z77e-ITX mobo.
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.7GHz
Samsung Green 8GB CAS9 2133MHz 9-10-10-21-1T
AX650 Modular PSU
ATI Radeon HD 6850 1GB
Samsung 830 128GB SSD
Western digital 2TB HDD
Corsair H100
2x Corsair SP 120mm Fans
2x Corsair AF 120mm Fans
1x Corsair AF 140mm Fan
2x BenQ 22" monitors

The Mobo in question, hansom looking piece of kit ;)

img3510ty.jpg

img3511h.jpg

img3512n.jpg

img3512n.jpg

img3514g.jpg

TBVH i do like my board but it does have two major flaws!

Problem 1) the socket placement.

The socket is so close to the PCI-e that it basically makes high end air coolers unusable,

img3524v.jpg

img3527ng.jpg

img3528af.jpg

As above the stock cooler only just fits with only a few mill clearance :eek:. So with that in mind i went down the sealed H2o route due to them being more compact.

Problem 2) mSATA placement!

i first bought an H80 but due to pump noise i settled for an H100. That aside I had the same problem with the H100 as i had with the H80 (not pump noise), the back bracket of the cooler.

This mobo has an mSATA port on the rear, used for SSD's, the big problem is that the mSATA suffers the same problem as the CPU socket....... poor placement!!!

The mSATA port is placed way too close to the CPU socket, i had to cut the back plate down to get it to fit :eek:

img3565tm.jpg

See how the corner of the cooler hits the port!

img3570v.jpg

img3572o.jpg

img3574e.jpg

img3576d.jpg

img3578w.jpg

You might be thinking its just the Corsair H series but it also effects the Antec KÜHLER series as well, this is from my build log -

Hey buzz how did you cut down your mounting bracket lol? Amazon sent me a new 620 today and I found the easiest solution without a dremel was to heat up a knife and slice right through the plastic lol............................ghetto precision cutting.

I am also Rma'ing my motherboard for a electrical buzz coming from the PCI-e socket which seems to be also making my graphics card buzz a lot more then it normally is when i use it on another motherboard also Rma'ing the graphics card for same issue O_O

Don't get me wrong modding can be the best part of building a rig but not modding due to poor design!

Well with the problems over with lets talk positives..............

Positive 1) UEFI BIOS

This thing is so easy to use and is compatible with a mouse ;) everything is laid out in an easy manor (NOOB proof :p), here is my config

120805173838.png

120805173841.png

120805173848.png

120805173909.png

120805173916.png

120805173920.png

As you will see below i still have all my C states enabled, achieving a very high OC (4.7GHz) and still keeping stability and energy saving :) which to me is a massive PLUS as many will say you have to deactivate C states to get OC's stable over 4.6GHz.

120805173925.png

120805173931.png

120805174005.png

120805174013.png

Positive 2) Good OC'er

As i pointed out above this board is a good OC'er, i wouldn't say its the best but it is good. I did find with this board i hit a brick wall trying to OC my RAM above 2133MHz without using the BCLK, this was due to not being able to change my third timings which is crucial to getting any RAM OC above 2133 stable (if anyone knows any better please let me know, i have been trying so hard to get 2400MHz using my RAM!)

I can OC my RAM to 2200MHz on very tight timings 9-10-10-21-1T with little more voltage than what im on at the the mo, the only problem is that i have to increase the BCLK to 103.2, which isn't a problem with IVY, but that means i cannot OC my cpu as i just seam to hit a brick wall with stability using anything above 101.

With that in mind i settled for 2133MHz and great timings and cracked on with OC'ing my CPU.

OC'ing the CPU is kind of easy, i have been used to OC'ing first gen quad cores and SB 2600K/2700K. Settings are a little different but not very, a little research on Google will usually help ;)

I have managed to OC my 3770K to 4.7GHz @ 1.34v, i managed this by de lidding my cpu to keep temps down but before that i had 4.5GHz and 4.6GHz stable with ok temps.

If like me you want your CPU to dynamically change depending on what your doing then stability is maintained with the turbo volts and power limits.

120805173841.png

And leaving the C states enabled

120805173925.png

If you want to get higher than 4.5 - 4.7 then you will have to leave the power saving options off, i got 4.9GHz stabilized @ 1.44v FIXED, but as mentioned in other forums you should stick under 1.4v for 24/7 :( (but unless you de lid you will be governed more by temps on IVY than volts)

Positive 3) Great Software inc with board

This board comes with some fantastic software -

Full details here.

Xfast Ram

Fully Optimize Memory UsageFaster Internet AccessBoosts up your USB speed5X Faster for
Photoshop ExecutionXFast RAM will create a virtual disk from the system memory to boost the performance. For Photoshop, It can even perform 5X faster than before.

Xfast LAN

XFast LAN can lower latency in the game after setting online game priority higher

xFast USB

ATTO Disk Benchmark 4K Read

Virtu Universal MVP

ASRock motherboard support Lucid Virtu Universal MVP technology that improves your PC’s visuals, with faster response times, improved video processing and smoother media playback, all with low power consumption. Brilliantly designed for gaming, Virtu Universal MVP™ switchable graphics software assigns tasks dynamically to the best graphics resource and features two exciting techniques – HyperFormance™ and Virtual Vsync™.

1. HyperFormance™ :
A new technology which combines integrated and discrete graphics for uncompromised performance and improves gaming frame rates 30-70%.
It’s also supported with both ATI™ and NVIDIA® graphics cards.

2. Virtual Vsync :
A technology designed to solve the ever lasting debate between quality and performance. Bring GPU performance from 60 FPS Vsync limit back to its maximum while keeping Vsync image quality and no tearing.

3. Switchable Graphics :
Dynamically assigns tasks to the best graphics resource regardless of physical cable connections.

THX TruStudio

THX TruStudio is specially designed to bring the same great audio experience found in live performances, films, and recording studios to the PC.

Positive 3) Great BIOS features

Internet Flash

Internet Flash searches for available UEFI firmware updates from ASRock servers. System can auto-detect the latest UEFI from our servers and flash them within UEFI setup without entering Windows® OS.

No-K OC Technology <----- THIS :p

Overclocking is no longer for K-series CPU users only, for those CPUs that aren’t K-series, ASRock No-K OC can unleash your CPU’s power by boosting its frequency with just one click.

Over all this is a nice board feature packed but it has some iffy flaws

Soldato
Been having problems with my current setup so have ordered some goodies that should keep me happy In the long run.

I moved from a Lian Li A05NB to a Silverstone SG08 a few months ago replacing my EVGA P55 FTW with a Gigabyte H55N but have encountered cooling problems with the recent hot weather. I had a TRUE cooling an I5-750 at 4ghz but moved to the stock cooler at standard speeds which Is ridiculously underpowered for the cpu It came with.

syt2yf.jpg

This Is after reseating several times with MX4, the case Is open until I can sort It out.

x10snl.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Didn't get Tuesday delivery as my Order was 3 minutes after the deadline, got the stuff this morning though.

I had some problems with the motherboard not posting when my HD6950 was Installed but It seemed to sort Itself out when I formatted and Installed all drivers using the onboard graphics. Can't seem to get USB3 working however the difference between SATA 2 and 3 Is pretty massive with my SSD.

Knew I would have problems with the bracket but I should be able to sort It out tomorrow.

Just cut my backplate at work on a guillotine, a bit messy and bent the corner slightly but all Is well now, the plastic backing should protect the motherboard. 10 minutes after my first cut I realised that I had removed the opposite corner to the one I wanted. :p

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just cut my backplate at work on a guillotine, a bit messy and bent the corner slightly but all Is well now, the plastic backing should protect the motherboard. 10 minutes after my first cut I realised that I had removed the opposite corner to the one I wanted. :p

^^ lol, just very lol ^_^

as for your usb3 have you installed all the drivers off the disc? i had one issue with my 6950 as well i had to remove my AMD drivers and software then the update that was applied by Intel then re install my AMD drivers and software and not the Intel update :/

Back
Top Bottom