Wedding Photography?

Soldato
Hi guys, getting married in 2 weeks; just having a civil ceremony as we're getting married abroad/having a big celebration next year. I only want a few decent pictures of the wedding and a some of the small reception later. How much should I be paying for this? I was thinking of just having amateur photos but its a day I'd like to remember, even if we only have 10 or so decent photos of us and our family.
I know its quite late notice to organise this but we only finalised the date last week.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I know, I think maybe too short, hence I may be happy with getting a friend to take some amateur shots...not completely amateur but hes not a professional. BTW I plan on getting in contact with you regarding our wedding next year as your work from what I've seen on here is excellent.

Soldato
I would have offered but it's a fair old distance from me. As Raymond says, its a varied question.

I've just lost out on a wedding booking due to cost alone, the girl they've gone with is just out of college, using a d60 + kit lens and without being too nasty, is pretty rubbish.

Find someone you like, and email them.

Also, if you're getting married next year and it's a big event it might be worth speaking to the photographer about doing both. Some offer engagement shoots as part of a wedding package, perhaps the civil ceremony could be done instead and the tog knows he's got another full booking for next year :)

Hope you find someone. If not, post the date and I can ask about.

Soldato
I think there is a lot of "wannabes" out there who go out and "invest" a couple of k in some kit then go out with no experience or knowledge.

I remember going to a friend's wedding several months ago, the photographer had some nice kit (5d mkii + 24-70), started asking her questions about the kit, turns out she just puts it in "P" mode, had no idea what I was talking about on aperture :(

Even at running events I go to take pictures of my girlfriend and her team, some of the photos they produce are pretty dire and they want to charge £30 each for it....

Soldato
I think there is a lot of "wannabes" out there who go out and "invest" a couple of k in some kit then go out with no experience or knowledge.

It's not just the wannabes, there are the pro's who spend 15 years shooting in a studio and decide to do wedding planning and shoot the photography themselves.......it didn't end well.

If I knew 5% of what I knew now I'd have not had her shoot my wedding but they say you have 20:20 vision in hindsight!

Soldato
I remember going to a friend's wedding several months ago, the photographer had some nice kit (5d mkii + 24-70), started asking her questions about the kit, turns out she just puts it in "P" mode, had no idea what I was talking about on aperture :(

It could always be that they want a bit of entertainment for them selves so when someone who comes over and seems to know a bit about photography they just play dumb :p

I'd love to do it just to see their face haha

Associate

Everybody knows the P Mode stands for professional :p:D

Soldato

Plus there are those who don't really spend much at all!

I know a couple of people on Facebook who are advertising themselves as Wedding Photographers, but one is shooting with a Canon 1100D and the other a Nikon D3100, both owning nothing but the kit lens. Let's also not forget that court case video from the US somebody posted a few weeks back.

Everyone thinks they are a Photographer.

Caporegime
I know, I think maybe too short, hence I may be happy with getting a friend to take some amateur shots...not completely amateur but hes not a professional. BTW I plan on getting in contact with you regarding our wedding next year as your work from what I've seen on here is excellent.

Although I'm booked for the next 2 weekends so can't help you out man.

Congrats to you both though!

Soldato
Plus there are those who don't really spend much at all!

I know a couple of people on Facebook who are advertising themselves as Wedding Photographers, but one is shooting with a Canon 1100D and the other a Nikon D3100, both owning nothing but the kit lens. Let's also not forget that court case video from the US somebody posted a few weeks back.

Everyone thinks they are a Photographer.

Sadly I know a few people like this and it makes me shiver. I've got decent kit, yet I don't have the stuff necessary to start doing wedding shots, so I wouldn't bother. My style of shooting also doesn't include portraits at the moment, so a wedding is probably the worst setting someone could put me into.

Too many people want to go as cheap as possible when it comes to photography for their weddings and don't give a damn about quality, backups or the competency of the person behind the viewfinder. I know a guy who will shoot any wedding for £200 but also owns an old camera with just the kit lens.

Soldato
Sadly I know a few people like this and it makes me shiver. I've got decent kit, yet I don't have the stuff necessary to start doing wedding shots, so I wouldn't bother. My style of shooting also doesn't include portraits at the moment, so a wedding is probably the worst setting someone could put me into.

Too many people want to go as cheap as possible when it comes to photography for their weddings and don't give a damn about quality, backups or the competency of the person behind the viewfinder. I know a guy who will shoot any wedding for £200 but also owns an old camera with just the kit lens.

I'd be the worst person to ask to do a wedding. I wouldn't mind being a third person for random additions, but there's no way in hell I'd want to be used as a major contributor to a wedding. Far too much stress for me, and when I'm stressed I seriously lose the ability to see a good photo opportunity.

Plus people annoy me, so I wouldn't want to do it anyway :D

Back
Top Bottom