Your tips to make Cardio enjoyable

Soldato
Don't do cardio in a gym, it is incredibly dull. Get outside and go for a run/ ride a bike.

If you go running outside, don't do loops of a track, it makes it easy to give up. If you run 30min away from your house, then you will have to run for an hour.

Soldato
I actually quite like cardio at the gym... It's good to see others experiencing the same pain as you :D

Currently listening to this whilst on my exercise bike :cool:
GO GO CARDIO :D.... :o

Soldato
When I do cardio I normally keep it short, but try and make it as intense as I can, doing roughly 15 minutes each on either the bike, cross trainer, stepper, treadmill and rower. I usually pick 3 machines, then do one minute off one minute on intervals, so on the treadmill I'll run at 14 kph for one minute, then jog a 9 kph for another minute and keep doing that for the 15 minute duration.

Every now and then though I'll just do a 5k run, just as a a means of checking my progress.

Soldato
I do find the bike boring and I don't like running on the treadmill (running on the spot just feels weird). I like the cross and rower though, some prodigy or similar and setting targets / working as hard as I can makes it go pretty quickly.

Associate
Music for running / cycling....

The app mapmyrun keeps me motivated as it gives u stats as u go (distance/time/pace) etc so go with the one more km n i'll beat my previous!!

And squash is good!!

Associate
Recently been doing some boxing training and it's amazing how knackering shadow boxing is - music up, hood up, and after ten minutes you're a sweaty mess.

Man of Honour
Recently been doing some boxing training and it's amazing how knackering shadow boxing is - music up, hood up, and after ten minutes you're a sweaty mess.

Sweaty, after dancing around, activating big muscle groups whilst wearing a jumper with a hood? I appreciate thermodynamics is dull, but generally it's pretty hard to get around. ;)

The premise of cardio from an exercise (not weightloss) perspective is getting your cardiovascular system working well. This can be achieved through pretty much any form of meaningful exercise. The fun part to bear in mind is that fitness is a general term: you may be able to run a marathon in 2h15m or whatever, but you will get knackered playing football after very little time at all.

Soldato
Run when you're on holiday. Sounds mad, but I love running and running in a new place is amazing. Take a camera and you can case a place out in no time and take in loads of sights at the same time.

+1

I stayed over in Caernarfon for work one night this week and had a glorious run along the edge of the Menai Straights.

Whilst staying in Northumberland last year I ran along the coastal path from Craster to Alnmouth one morning. Exchanged greetings with the odd dog walker, but otherwise had the view to myself. Ran along the beach at one point - was just like Baywatch :D

Soldato
Agreed with the folks that have said road bikes. Make sure you get a computer to monitor your time, average and most importantly top speed.

I've got a few challenges that I keep trying to beat which keeps me interested. So far they are:
- Quickest 10 mile loop
- Highest top speed (this is the most fun!)
- Quickest time up a couple of particularly nasty hills around here

Back
Top Bottom