any issues with mba 11" or 13"?

Soldato
looking at replacing sandrine's laptop and have something ultra portable. may have to be 13" for the battery life.

Just wondered id there's been many issues?

Soldato
This isn't a very well thought out question. It would be silly to say or suggest that every MBA is without fault or that all are perfect.

Personally I haven't experienced any problems with my 2012 13" MBA. But that doesn't mean others haven't...

Soldato
OP
This isn't a very well thought out question. It would be silly to say or suggest that every MBA is without fault or that all are perfect.

Personally I haven't experienced any problems with my 2012 13" MBA. But that doesn't mean others haven't...

Hmm there do seem to be quite a few people with mbas here so I thought I'd ask the general question. The 5 hour battery is a little worrying for long travel but the 11" would be ultra portable... hmmm decisions decisions..

I know from experience that 15" mbp is a bit big on flights - it's not going to get much in terms of heavy duty processing (the mbp has 16GB for that reason).

Soldato
I just ordered a 13inch online today... Why the apple store does not carry any stock of the base spec configured with 8GB RAM I'll never know!! Must surely be the most popular upgrade!

Caporegime
2011 13" Air here and aside from a little creaking where the base is attached to the face (keyboard area) it's all good (sorted itself out after a month or so). just be careful with the corners, they are rather delicate.

Soldato
2011 13" Air here and aside from a little creaking where the base is attached to the face (keyboard area) it's all good (sorted itself out after a month or so). just be careful with the corners, they are rather delicate.

I noticed some creaking too actually. I found just opening and closing it a handful of times resolved it though.

Associate
MBA 2012 11" 2Ghz i7 8GB RAM 256 SSD here. Super happy. The only issue I had was the sound distorting when going through the Thunderbolt display, but 10.8.1 just came out and fixed that.

I was worried that it'd be too small, either the screen or the trackpad (yeah, the trackpad is ever so slightly shorter) but I've found that instead I love it, it's the perfect portable size in fact I barely even notice I'm carrying it. Slightly shorter battery life hasn't been an issue for me, but I'm normally places with power adapters should I need it.

Associate
Love mine. Went for 8GB as it's not much more, definitely helps performance and resell value too. Impressed with the speed of it, fast enough to comfortably play Team Fortress 2 which is pretty amazing. Battery life is brilliant too. Only thing that has wound me up is the crappy MagSafe 2 connector. The original one was so much better and I find this one coming out at the slightest tug which is really annoying.

Soldato
I am absolutely loving mine, configured with 8GB of ram. Thing really flies and mac os x is the dream I'd always imagines it to be. Trying to use a normal windows laptop with a horrible touch pad is actually painful and so limiting, controlling the whole os with gestures and shortcuts is brilliant.

Associate
I am absolutely loving mine, configured with 8GB of ram. Thing really flies and mac os x is the dream I'd always imagines it to be. Trying to use a normal windows laptop with a horrible touch pad is actually painful and so limiting, controlling the whole os with gestures and shortcuts is brilliant.

Exactly this. I've used Mac's before but this is the first one I've owned and it's lovely to have a machine with a great display and amazing trackpad. The gestures are fantastic too. They sound gimmicky but they really speed things up. Considering I've used Windows pretty much daily for 15 years Mac OS is strange however once you use it for 4-5 days you suddenly 'click' and realise it's much nicer to use than Windows :p I still have Windows on here for gaming but I don't boot into it very often.

Here's a link to a reddit post I made that has a few tweaks to strip out extra crud and put OS X on a diet.

Back
Top Bottom