Saab 9-3 Aero: 150,000 miles would you buy?

Soldato
I'd think about resalability, if you are querying 150k miles then many other people will too (plus the miles you add to it). If you are buying it to drive it in to the ground then fine, but you'll have trouble reselling it.

I'd be wanting to get that cheaper too, I can't imagine he has people lining up to buy it. Maybe leave it a couple of weeks and get back in contact?

Also it seems a strange choice of car to do so many miles in?

Soldato
OP
It's the owners wifes car, she commutes Clacton to Billericay daily.

I am aware if I buy it and put another 50k on it will be pretty much worthless. But it is only a £3k car so there isn't that much to loose.

Some of the options (Uprated Stereo, Sat Nav and Xeons) probably added nearly 3k to the purchase price.

Associate
Chap who works for me bought a '54 plate Aero (almost identical to the ad by the looks of it) on 160k mile for £3k about two years ago.

He's not had any problems with it and it's now on 200k'ish. Based on what he paid, that one seems a bit steep.

Associate
I ran a 150,000 mile 1 owner 2006 Saab 9-5 Aero for a year, nothing went wrong, very reliable. I bought it in January 2010 for £4k at 4 years old and sold it a year later for £3100 in January 2011. Definitely had the impression that it would just keep going and going!

Very comfortable, well specced and quite potent but a little unrewarding in the corners. The bonnet suffered quite badly from stonechips and the leather was peeling from the steering wheel but apart from that, it looked very good for the mileage.

I would say that £3100 seems a little high but reasonable considering it's a convertible in good condition, but depends on how long you're planning on running it - can be hard to sell high mileage cars!

Soldato
OP
It would have to be an Aero, tbh even that didn't seem as fast as I thought it would be. I doubt it's really much quicker than my MX5 but it's understandable as it probably weighs nearly twice as much.

I think with a chip to 250BHP it would be good.

I think with a chip to 250BHP it would be good.

I do think remaps are generally good, but at 150,000 miles on the original clutch and probably the original turbo it has the chance of being a complete disaster. It is likely to be OK but I wouldn't buy a car with that many miles when you haven't done them yourself then step up the torque with a remap.

Soldato
OP
This is true. If I was to buy it I would get Abbot Racing who are local to give it the once over. I am waiting for them to call back with their opinon on likely costs that will crop up with a 150k car. I am sure they have seen a fair few of them.

Caporegime
I do think remaps are generally good, but at 150,000 miles on the original clutch and probably the original turbo it has the chance of being a complete disaster. It is likely to be OK but I wouldn't buy a car with that many miles when you haven't done them yourself then step up the torque with a remap.

Mines got 141k on it and it's fine :p

The Saab parts are tested to take WAY more than Saab give them, the remap especially for £70 just opens up the car to what it should have been.

Soldato
As Phate says, they are properly engineered, despite GM trying to wreck everything :) Having said that, some engines have a sludging issue, I'd check to see if anything needs doing for that.

150k on a properly looked after Saab is nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom