Coulthard doing 190mph through the lincoln tunnel

Soldato
Fairly sure it's not 190mph. Not only do F1 cars very seldom get to 190mph any more, it sounds like it's on the limiter.

I'd imagine it would feel like about 500mph though. And rough.
Cars were clocking 190+ in Australia, and that's not even the fastest track. Considering it's a straight line through the tunnel, Red Bull could easily have run a low downforce setup and gotten well past that figure.

Soldato
Cars were clocking 190+ in Australia, and that's not even the fastest track.
Only with DRS though.

Perhaps 'very seldom' was a bit OTT, but without DRS the current cars aren't often doing speeds upwards of that, though now I think about it, the straights on Tilke drones will allow it.

Considering it's a straight line through the tunnel, Red Bull could easily have run a low downforce setup and gotten well past that figure.
They could have done, it just doesn't sound as though the car is anywhere near full speed.

Added to that, I'm not even sure a driver would be safe to do 190mph in a dimly-lit tunnel in an F1 car - sure, on an GP track they'll nudge over 210mph, but that's on a near billiard smooth track - I don't know what that tunnel is like, but if it's like any of the tunnel's over here, they certainly wouldn't run at 190mph.

They hit over 220 in Monza spec don't they?
Nope. The top speed is Coulthard's McLaren at Monza in the V10 era at 225mph. Can't remember the exact year, but it would be around 1999.

Petrov clocked the fastest speed at Monza last year at 215mph, but again that would be with DRS and the low-downforce config, and probably in a slipstream during the race too. (Edit: that was during qualifying, so DRS, but presumably no slipstream. The Red Bulls only just crept over 200mph in qualifying).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom