**CRAZIEST SSD DEAL YET: 120GB SSD ONLY £43.99 Inc. VAT!**

Associate
add me to the list, was sorting order this morning (pay day) looked at basket - sold out!! Gutted!

oh well off to choose something else lol

Soldato
... I have a question, which might sound silly, but do I need to buy any addtional cables, or does everything I need come with the SSD deal? :confused:

So, from my little understanding, I guess that I need to get something to hold these drives in place, ... though do I need to buy any cabling with the SSD to connect it to the mobo or does that come with it? .

Hi...Pretty much like all drives, these will be "bare bones".
IE. you will get the drive and usually a mounting bracket and some screws but that's it.

Per drive ... You will need one SATA power cable from your PSU and one SATA data cable.

You will also need to check that your motherboard has enough SATA ports to support the extra drives you want to fit.

As to fitting in your case. You can pretty much stick them anywhere there's room. Any orientation you want and any fixing method (EG. double side tape, cable tie, mounting brackets etc.).

Soldato
I bought one of these a few years ago and as an OS drive I have to say the speeds are terrible its just not a fast OS drive at all takes 35-40 secs to boot vs 10-15secs on a fast OS SSD drive.

Can't quite understand that :confused:

I ran one of these for around 18 months as a boot drive and it out performs any mechanical drive by a LARGE margin. Also can't say I noticed that much difference moving from this drive to a Vertex 4 in day-to-day use. Benchmarks obviously look better but hey... that's not real world use.

Currently use this drive for data only. Just run a benchmark and it still looks pretty good to me:

SSDATTObenchmark.jpg

PS. On the Vertex 2E, on a new W7 Install, it took just 18 seconds to boot to a usable desktop (system as per spec, except graphics card).

Last edited:
Don
I bought one of these a few years ago and as an OS drive I have to say the speeds are terrible its just not a fast OS drive at all takes 35-40 secs to boot vs 10-15secs on a fast OS SSD drive.

Are you sure that's right?

Maybe just an old install? Or a slow booting motherboard?

I put my old C300 in my mum's H61 machine, it boots in like 12 seconds!

Soldato
Are you sure that's right?

Maybe just an old install? Or a slow booting motherboard?

I put my old C300 in my mum's H61 machine, it boots in like 12 seconds!
Not for me it never I tried everything I could new firmware from OCZ spoke to their tech support on the OCZ forums etc etc gave up in the end & decided the data compression methods this drive uses are deceptive speed wise its about 50% slower than my oldest Intel SSD. Forget benchmarks realworld useage IMO is appalling its still better than a mechanical but nowhere near the mid range SSD's.

If it was not an OS boot drive with loads of games installed on it which use activations I would lose it would have been dumped 2 years ago!

Soldato
Not for me it never I tried everything I could new firmware from OCZ spoke to their tech support on the OCZ forums etc etc gave up in the end & decided the data compression methods this drive uses are deceptive speed wise its about 50% slower than my oldest Intel SSD. Forget benchmarks realworld useage IMO is appalling its still better than a mechanical but nowhere near the mid range SSD's.

If it was not an OS boot drive with loads of games installed on it which use activations I would lose it would have been dumped 2 years ago!

Not doubting you or anything. But it's got to be a problem with your specific drive, or mobo/BIOS/drive combo. As mine booted in 18 seconds flat with a new W7 install. Even after 18 months of use as a boot drive, it was only taking some 26 seconds to get to a usable desktop and the increase can be explained by the number of apps that now kick off at start-up. And got to be honest, I've never seen this sort of complaint / comment before.

As with any SSD, it's not the huge / impressive seq. read/write figures that make a difference if using it as a boot drive. It's the near instantaneous access time (sub 0.01 ms read/seek compared to 10+ ms for a mech. drive)
IE. in the order of 1000 x faster than a mechanical Hard Drive. That and the fast 4k read/writes. All of which this drive has. Hence why you frequently see the comment made that moving from a generation 2 SSD, to a later generation 3, you'll see no real difference in day-to-day use. Only real difference will be noticeable if you regularly shift HUGE files around between two or more SSD's.

If you want rid of it, then just buy a newer drive and clone (or backup/restore) the old drive over to it. This works just fine with the latest backup/restore / cloning applications (EG. Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost etc.). No need to put up with it if doesn't suit you (money allowing of course). :)

PS. Prior to using this drive, I had a much older Vertex 2. Moved this into my old laptop and it transformed it. Prior to this, it could take almost a couple of minutes to get to a workable desktop. Now it takes less than 30 seconds.

Last edited:
Soldato

Well if they've sold out i guess we'll soon see if yours is an accurate representation of the product or peformance retarded in some way.

Soldato
Not doubting you or anything. But it's got to be a problem with your specific drive, or mobo/BIOS/drive combo. As mine booted in 18 seconds flat with a new W7 install. Even after 18 months of use as a boot drive, it was only taking some 26 seconds to get to a usable desktop and the increase can be explained by the number of apps that now kick off at start-up. And got to be honest, I've never seen this sort of complaint / comment before.

As with any SSD, it's not the huge / impressive seq. read/write figures that make a difference if using it as a boot drive. It's the near instantaneous access time (sub 0.01 ms read/seek compared to 10+ ms for a mech. drive)
IE. in the order of 1000 x faster than a mechanical Hard Drive. That and the fast 4k read/writes. All of which this drive has. Hence why you frequently see the comment made that moving from a generation 2 SSD, to a later generation 3, you'll see no real difference in day-to-day use. Only real difference will be noticeable if you regularly shift HUGE files around between two or more SSD's.

If you want rid of it, then just buy a newer drive and clone (or backup/restore) the old drive over to it. This works just fine with the latest backup/restore / cloning applications (EG. Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost etc.). No need to put up with it if doesn't suit you (money allowing of course). :)

PS. Prior to using this drive, I had a much older Vertex 2. Moved this into my old laptop and it transformed it. Prior to this, it could take almost a couple of minutes to get to a workable desktop. Now it takes less than 30 seconds.
I have been using Intel SSD's since 2009 (I have 4 currently) I prefer them they are faster in real world useage & more reliable with 5 year warranties (OCZ are notorious for firmware issues & lost data!).

Too late now but buyer beware of OCZ SSD's IME

Soldato
Ive had the Bigfoot version of this drive in my main pc for over 3 years. First one did fail after 6 monts but was replaced under warranty. Luckily i back up all the time so didn't loose anything. Replacement has been rock solid. Granted I'd rater have a intel or M4. But for the price. Daft not to.

Don
Seems expensive to back up all my data, I'd either need to go Raid 0 or just copy/paste all my stuff to a 1-2tb HDD?

My rule of thumb. For every hard drive I buy for storing data. I buy another two drives to store copies of the data.

Touch wood I've only had one drive fail on me ever (a 20gb drive, 12 years ago). But I won't be making the same mistake again of not having a good backup method in place.

Associate
The amount of data you need to backup is how much though really?

There's full disk backups for the sake of convenience (avoiding the chore of reformatting, re-installing OS and apps, reconfiguring them), or you could just look at what data really needs backing up (the docs and photos you couldn't replace/reinstall).

For the latter you'd want to consider something other than just a second drive to backup to anyway, best using some cloud system (dropbox, skydrive, or some dedicated backup one) to keep that sync'd "off site" (where it wouldn't get lost together by leaving computer/disk on a train, or in a house fire, etc.), and if privacy is a concern make sure it's encrypted first.

If the amount of data that needs to be protected in such a way is not huge (within a GB or few) you could even do so for free.

Good that you're thinking of backup, now do something about it :D

Soldato
I'd prefer to get my old celeron rig out and whack some drives in that and use it as a file/backup server, parents would moan about the extra electric consumption though.

It'd be nice if one of my drives was ever to fail that it would give some warning, maybe this one did, but it was in my parents rig and they'd not know what a failed HDD was even if imploded.

Back
Top Bottom