** EK Waterblocks RANGE FACELIFT - AVAILABLE TO BUY AT OCUK **

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
This new design isn't being received well on other forums.

yeah, the guys on Xs are starting a bit of a hate campaign about it.

In fairness though, the new blocks are selling just as well as the old ones. Sales figures are what do the talking in the grand scheme of things

I'm actually starting to quite like the new blocks, Its such a drastic change but after having a close looks at them, the quality is much better than the older style blocks.

people will still buy them for a few reasons:
  • EK are known for good quality so will continue to sell regardless
  • EK are one of the most affordable brands so people will still default to them.
  • Performance of EK blocks is still brilliant

Associate
Honestly the reaction to eks new designs has been ridiculous. I'm a member on a few of those forums and the way some of the guys are behaving is embarrassing.

Yes ek has made a few mistakes in the past but surely they are entitled to change the design of their blocks without having to get permission from some baboon who thinks that having a few sponsored builds makes him the voice of the watercooling community :rolleyes:

Personally i'm not crazy about the new design but i'm going to wait and see how these perform before deciding what to do.

Associate
never done any watercooling but I don't dislike the circular design just wonder why on certain blocks they haven't lined up the functional holes with the aesthetic holes - makes it look like a bit of an afterthought in those cases.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
Honestly the reaction to eks new designs has been ridiculous. I'm a member on a few of those forums and the way some of the guys are behaving is embarrassing.

Yes ek has made a few mistakes in the past but surely they are entitled to change the design of their blocks without having to get permission from some baboon who thinks that having a few sponsored builds makes him the voice of the watercooling community :rolleyes:

Personally i'm not crazy about the new design but i'm going to wait and see how these perform before deciding what to do.

I could not actually agree with your post any more. very valid points raised there.

a few people on various forums around the net have jumped on the band wagon very quickly.

I have to look at things rationally.

EK messed up with the nickel plating issue.
EK released blocks that split opinion.

despite both of these potentially damaging actions, EK are still our [and one of the worlds] best selling watercooling brand by a country mile.

a few people with big opinions on some internet forums slandering a company that genuinely do something different every now and again is just a bit saddening to see.

it puts a damper on innovation. this is something that in my opinion is where watercooling shines as being the best thing about enthusiast computing.

Soldato
Personally I really don't care too much about the looks of my wc gear as I never get to see it, all that is really important to me is performance and reliability. :)

AMG

AMG

Soldato
They are different, and I too agree...i m not a big fan of the new designs but at the same time they look sweet in the quality product way( the circles seem to make it look like its built better)

Also with a bit of lighting I think these would look sweet as a nut

Associate
I can imagine the new blocks looking good if used as a set but that new design makes it so much harder to match individual blocks with parts from other manufacturers. I'm sure I can speak for most when I say that I rarely choose all my parts from just one manufacturer. Thats my gripe with it :/ . Other than that, its nice to see something refreshing.

Man of Honour
Ask in CS buddy ;)

They might already be on order, I'd imagine due to the lack of EK stock currently listed OcUK have an order incoming.

Ha ha, you following me :p :D

Will do, though normally in the CS section I never seem to get a proper answer, so thought I'd ask here as the thread was specific to EK stock?

Just reading up on the blocks, the EK Copper or Nickel seem to be in the lead so far :)

Associate
yeah, the guys on Xs are starting a bit of a hate campaign about it.

In fairness though, the new blocks are selling just as well as the old ones. Sales figures are what do the talking in the grand scheme of things

I'm actually starting to quite like the new blocks, Its such a drastic change but after having a close looks at them, the quality is much better than the older style blocks.

people will still buy them for a few reasons:
  • EK are known for good quality so will continue to sell regardless
  • EK are one of the most affordable brands so people will still default to them.
  • Performance of EK blocks is still brilliant
I think they look awful too (from the pictures) but I don't spend that much time looking inside my case.

My confidence in EK has been dented though as my nickel-plated GTX580 full cover block isn't quite as nickel-plated as it was. I can't believe they wouldn't have thought to test it with the most commonly used fluids and a silver coil (my culprit). Hell even Stew Forster (aka Cathar) sent a caution note with my silver G5 waterblock all those years ago about the impact of silver on certain types of metal.

Associate
TBF When I first saw the designs I didn't mind them.

However, personally I think they look GREAT... in acetal and plated versions ONLY.

The frosted acrylic with all the little circles looks stupid, add coloured water underneath and it just gets worse. If you've seen some of the Facebook pics you'll probably agree they just aren't the show pieces they used to be. If you are looking for a water-block, yes they might be fine, and get the job done. Looking for a show-piece like a murderbox style windows, coloured fluids etc (which lets be honest is part of the draw) they've lost it. And it's only going to take one company to come in and do what EK isn't any more and EK can kiss their business good-bye.

I must say though, that the new range is absolutely about saving costs.

Look at ever new block in the range... All square pieces of some material on the top. means less cutting, less cost and more profit.

Look at the new bases. No extension out of the side of the card where the barbs used to mount, smaller pieces of copper, with less waste.

Are we seeing better prices? Not really! So what have WE gained? Apart from less style, more complicated loops and much, MUCH, more stubbornness from Ek?

Back
Top Bottom