Windows 8 Consumer Preview Thread

Soldato
Everybody who bashes Metro seems to overlook this:

33993555.png

That's a screenshot of me rightclicking in the bottom left corner, lots of useful things, most of which are now much easier to access than via the Start menu.

Not only do the Metro changes bring improvements to launching programs they also aide power users.

Problem is a lot of new Win8 users won't know about all the new short cuts etc..so the learning curve and change is way higher then Win7,personally I prefer Win8 with Start8(new version) just seems more natural for old desktops users like myself,infact typing this post on my Win8 PC.

I still feel Microsoft should have gave a choice for desktops users to use start button or not,rather then relying on third party programs.

I'm going to upgrade my laptop for 15 quid to Win8 and first thing thats getting installed is Start8 program.

End of the day you could argue its a personal choice thing on start button ,however having the option is always better then no option.

Soldato
This is what I just don't get. The Start button and menu is still there but just in a different interface.

Its sort of hidden,the Start8 is good because its natural for Vista/Win7 users and you can avoid using metro for most part,desktop users use their PC a bit differently from tablet users.

When it comes to layout etc we all have different tastes/preferences.

Soldato
The are always some people who will stick with the status quo just because they fear change, and usually they can even even convince themselves to believe that its better. We saw this previously when 95/NT4 came out and some people stayed with 3.11/NT3 until they had no choice, then again when XP launched and some people stayed with 98/2000 or used XP's classic theme, and most recently when 7 came out and people changed the taskbar to use small icons and labels like the older O/S's.

Associate
This is what I just don't get. The Start button and menu is still there but just in a different interface.

i have to agree, replace start menu with start screen, and your done, you even go to the same area on the desktop (bottom left) to get there. Metro is really easy to customize the start screen aswell to get just the things you want on there, and if it isnt there, right click and select all apps.

Personally i much prefer it to the old start menu, however one thing is you need to spend time customizing the start screen, whereas installing software before it would organize itself in the start menu in subfolders it wont be the same with metro, so it requires more maintenance, but this isnt really that different to keeping your desktop tidy etc.

Soldato
The are always some people who will stick with the status quo just because they fear change, and usually they can even even convince themselves to believe that its better. We saw this previously when 95/NT4 came out and some people stayed with 3.11/NT3 until they had no choice, then again when XP launched and some people stayed with 98/2000 or used XP's classic theme.

Some people like myself always try and upgrade to a newer OS,however Microsoft do like to move things around or change things,thats to be expected but for the most part Win8 was designed for a tablet user more then a desktop user,this is one of the major changes from their previous operating systems,I have no problems with that except I don't use or own a tablet so you can't blame desktop users for wanting something more desktop friendly.

I only use Windows for gaming and browsing (would be on Linux 100% otherwise) and have yet to see what Win8 brings to old windows gamers like myself..Vista we had DX10,Win7 had DX11(yes I know Vista got that as well),Win8 gets what new DX?..

Are windows gamers getting short straw as well?..Microsoft need to look at the other areas of Windows it not just tablet users out there,we have gamers,desktop users etc....

I would have liked to have seen Microsoft throw a bone for Win8 gamers,we get what Microsoft store.

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally myself i never use the start menu, apart from when i go to shut down or sleep my pc. All the apps i regularly use are pinned on my taskbar, which is what Metro will basically be like after i customize it.

Soldato
Personally myself i never use the start menu, apart from when i go to shut down or sleep my pc. All the apps i regularly use are pinned on my taskbar, which is what Metro will basically be like after i customize it.

I like to boot straight into desktop and run Win8 from there,again personal preference you could say.

Soldato
kids these days dont know how good they have it, i remember the days of dos when you had to have various boot disks for different games because some needed more base memory or extended memory etc etc, hours of fiddling with batch files and config files just to get the game working. Now all they have to complain about is no bleeding start menu. grumble grumble.

Many hours of editing the autoexec.bat and config.sys files, or using QEMM just to get that extra bit of base memory just so I could have sound in my game! :)

Associate
What do you guys do with defrag on an ssd

My understanding was that Windows 8 would recognize the SSD and disable defrag. I just went into the scheduler and discovered automatic defrag was still enabled

Soldato
Many hours of editing the autoexec.bat and config.sys files, or using QEMM just to get that extra bit of base memory just so I could have sound in my game! :)

Good old DOS days,I miss those days had some awesome games back then,Win95 however paved the way for gamers.

Associate
What do you guys do with defrag on an ssd

My understanding was that Windows 8 would recognize the SSD and disable defrag. I just went into the scheduler and discovered automatic defrag was still enabled

Does it detect it as "Solid State Drive" under Media type? If so it won't actually run defrag on it, the status should change to "Optimisation not available" if you manually try it, or after the first scheduled run.

Soldato
Good old DOS days,I miss those days had some awesome games back then,Win95 however paved the way for gamers.

Anyone else remember seeing Weezer for the first time with Windows 95? (the music video for buddy holly was included on the disc to showcase the Intel indeo codec and the .avi file format)

Permabanned
Just to say W8 Pro 64bit is working excellent on my Acer Aspire AIO.

Quad core, 8GB DDR3, 1Tb HDD, ATI HD 4570.

Touchscreen is perfect on this machine metro is a wonderful touch, I can't help but feel with a mouse its a little clumsy. Every aspect its a huge step from W7. Over all I am very glad I installed it.

Thumbs up from me :)

Associate
pokerking
Just to say W8 Pro 64bit is working excellent on my Acer Aspire AIO.

Quad core, 8GB DDR3, 1Tb HDD, ATI HD 4570.

Touchscreen is perfect on this machine metro is a wonderful touch, I can't help but feel with a mouse its a little clumsy. Every aspect its a huge step from W7. Over all I am very glad I installed it.

Thumbs up from me

Tesco are doing a sales run on their cleaning products. Don't by any chance work for Tesco.:p:D

Associate
Its about the touch screen and how dirty they get with use. I'm always having to clean my phone - imagine an full size monitor - would have to spend time and money to keep that clean!

Back
Top Bottom