Thinking of selling my core2duo 21.5" iMac for MacBook air. Performance?

Associate
Hello :D

I'm thinking of selling my 21.5" 3.06 core2duo 4gb ram iMac that I've had for quite some time now for a new £999 MacBook air 13" with the 128gb ssd.

How do you think they will compare performance wise? I don't want to go for the £999 MacBook pro as its another £180 for the ssd.

I will use it for photography, office work, Internet, that sort of thing. All my downloads, most video conversion, and video storage is done by my hackintosh.

Thanks for any advice!!

Associate
It's only 1.8GHz. As it's a few generations newer it'll be faster clock for clock though so it's probably the equivalent of higher end 2.x Core 2. That and the fact the faster memory and SSD will be a lot faster. Still worth it imo, I don't find mine slow at all.

Associate
It will feel much quicker thanks to the SSD. For really high-performance tasks I'd doubt you'd notice much difference. May be worth trying to get the 8GB of RAM in the Air though.

Associate
It will feel much quicker thanks to the SSD. For really high-performance tasks I'd doubt you'd notice much difference. May be worth trying to get the 8GB of RAM in the Air though.

Not sure how much it is normally but for my machine bought through Uni the 8GB was £67. £987 total :D

Soldato
Hello :D

I'm thinking of selling my 21.5" 3.06 core2duo 4gb ram iMac that I've had for quite some time now for a new £999 MacBook air 13" with the 128gb ssd.

How do you think they will compare performance wise? I don't want to go for the £999 MacBook pro as its another £180 for the ssd.

I will use it for photography, office work, Internet, that sort of thing. All my downloads, most video conversion, and video storage is done by my hackintosh.

Thanks for any advice!!

Akin to selling a Rolls and buying a Ford Fiesta IMO, I mean why would you - argh! :confused:

Associate
OP
Just want to thank everyone for the replies :D

With the student discount I can get it with a three year warranty and £70 voucher for £859 all in. That sounds like a good idea to me and now I'm going 'back to school' to do a degree as it were this will be ideal for me to use anytime I want around work and the kids and not have to be at my desk at the iMac.

Looking at more reviews of the Air it seems to score really well in performance tests compared with my iMac and I have no issues with its performance. I know a new Quad core one would kick its ass I'm sure but I can't see lugging it around :D

Associate
OP
Well I'm sat now on my new macbook air :D

I ordered it at 8:40 yesterday with the student discount and it arrived this morning at 10. Very impressed how quickly it arrived!

So far I'm loving it!

Last edited:
Associate
Awesome. With student discount it's a great deal. Love mine. I can't remember where I posted it but I've got a link somewhere that I made for all of the tweaks you can do to slim down Mac OS. You can shave gigs and gigs off of it.

Soldato
Had to watch the pennies so went for 4gb. £859 with the three year warranty and £70 gift card.

Think its a great deal and so far it seems lightning fast :)

Congrats on the purchase :)

Did you purchase the additional 3 years worth of telephone support? Judging by the price you paid, it doesn't look like you did.

If not, would you mind confirming please that your AppleCare for the hardware is showing up as a 3 year agreement on Apple's site?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom