Finally going SSD

Associate
Now that they are better prices for size im finally going SSD

Basicly i want high storage so 512gb is what im choosing
Anyway im probably going with a M4 tho may think about the samsung 830 after hearing praise about it so my questions are

*is the 830 worth the £140 more and why ?.

*Also what programs will i need as i know trim is a word always being used and i understand the basics that its to keep the drive running good and deleted files are deleted and the space is free.

*also is it worth keeping CCleaner as its SSD friendly ?.

* do drives come with the new firmwre for it or do I have to do that and how do i isntall it ?.

It will be a games pc mostly i currently have a 320gb drive and i still have 140gb of space so i dont use huge amounts of space i have had to delete games to make space tho i find i dont really play many games at a tiem so not a biggy.

on a off topic quick question i will also be getting a nvidia 680 to is it a good idea or is anything big jsut around the cornor ?.

thanks ofr any feed back

Associate
Anyway im probably going with a M4 tho may think about the samsung 830 after hearing praise about it so my questions are

No it's not.

Both are good drives but you will hardly see any difference in use so why pay so much extra?

Don't worry about the firmware as it is easy to update (I can confirm the M4 is anyway).

Soldato
Leviathan said:
Now that they are better prices for size im finally going SSD

Basicly i want high storage so 512gb is what im choosing

I've got an Samsung 830, they are great drives but like the chap above said, just get the M4 if it's £140 cheap, even if it was £20 cheaper I still would.
Leviathan said:
*also is it worth keeping CCleaner as its SSD friendly ?.
I still use Crapcleaner, no problems here.
Leviathan said:
on a off topic quick question i will also be getting a nvidia 680 to is it a good idea or is anything big jsut around the cornor ?.
The GTX 680 is a good card, but save yourself some cash and get a GTX 670 and overclock it to GTX 680 speeds or if you don't mind AMD/ATI get a 7950 and overclock that and save even more money, performance isn't that different.

Soldato
I can't see any difference to the desktop version except the price but if there is perhaps someone else can chip in...

It comes with some Samsung software 'SSD Magician' for Windows which can be used to update the firmware.

I would download preferably Intel Rapid Storage Technology from your mobo maker and inside the zip is a folder aka floppy drivers for RAID which you can supply Windows during installation. The floppy driver files may have been split out into a separate download though. Ensure you switch your SATA controller over to RAID in BIOS before rebooting with the bootable media to start the Windows installation. When you're in Windows, install Sammy software and check firmware / update, for each drive. Then also install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology app which will also be in the download I mentioned above. I don't think this last step of installing the app is necessary but it allows you to see the config of the RAID from Windows.

If you can't get the file from your mobo maker or if they only have the latest one which is 11.5 something, it has a memory leak in the app and you should I think stick with 11.2.0.1006 at the moment.

I think I downloaded iata_cd.exe from Intel because MSI only had the bugged 11.5 one but I think iata_cd.exe includes the floppy driver folders.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...apid+Storage+Technology+(Intel®+RST)&lang=eng

Back
Top Bottom