whats your best Apps

Permabanned
AppCleaner for deleting applications.
TextWrangler for python / perl.
Transmission for torrents.
Keka for archiving.
Macports for building *.nix software and libraries on OS X. I use this almost solely for building irssi. Though I can build Transmission and Keka through it if I wanted.
Xcode. I need this to install the command line tools which I need for macports. I haven't checked the developer website to see if the CLI tools are available as a standalone *.pkg file though.

Soldato
General/Essential/Poweruser:
Alfred + Powerpack
LittleSnitch
Degrees

Web Dev/Programming:
Forklift 2.5
Sublime Text 2
IntelliJ IDEA

Productivity:
Soulver
LittleSnapper
1Password
Fantastical

Tweetbot for Mac (Alpha) > All twitter clients.
http://tapbots.com/tweetbot_mac/

Permabanned
Wow Macs have the Worst Apps EVER.

for a company which has so much money they don't seem to invest much in the applications to use on the Macs

Soldato

He's a known troll, ignore him.

Back on topic, here's what I currently have installed (after clean installing ML):

Developer Tools
Hex Fiend
TextWrangler
Xcode

Productivity
CheatSheet
GitHub
Growl
Parallels Desktop 7
VMWare Fusion 4

Reference
Mactracker

Utilities
AppCleaner
Img2icns
Pacifist
Signal
The Unarchiver
Transmission

Video
iFlicks
Media Inspector
Miro Video Converter
MP4Tools
Plex
Subler
VLC

Permabanned
Add smcFanControl to my list. This heat has been causing me some grief with machines getting toasty. I downloaded smcFanControl and made a couple profiles for different speeds.

zls3s.png

Default = 1200RPM
Medium = 2000RPM
High = 3000RPM
Ludicrous Speed = 4000RPM (Max setting)

Soldato
The apps I use the most, mainly for work, are:

1Password - probably the single most useful utility I have, genuinely couldn't live without it now
Dropbox - cloud storage
Google Drive - cloud storage
Growl - notifications, slightly less relevant in Mountain Lion due to it including Notification Centre
iWork Suite - Keynote is very good for presentations, Pages is okay but a bit simplistic, Numbers is a bit ropey and rather slow compared to Excel
OmniFocus - outstanding GTD application, I basically live in here
OmniGraffle - excellent diagramming tool, way ahead of Visio
OmniOutliner - fairly decent note-taking / drafting tool, could do with better organisation
OmniPlan - decent project planning tool, but a bit faffy compared to the other Omni apps
Reeder - use this all the time for RSS via Google Reader, superb
Remote Desktop Connection - not very good, but it does usually work when RDP'ing into Windows machines
Skype - still pretty de facto in the business world despite its descent into mediocrity and ads :p
Sparrow - really good email client, particularly for Google Apps / GMail
Sublime Text 2 - trounces all other Mac text editors by a country mile, and I've used them all :)
The Unarchiver - jolly useful unzipping / un-raring / un-everythinging tool, seamless
Transmit - a very good FTP client with some cool features (folders for connections, S3 support, syncing etc.)
VMWare Fusion - still find this better than Parallels, though that might be because I use a lot of other VMWare stuff and do Linux virtualisation as well as Windows
XLD - roughly equivalent to EAC on Windows, a really good lossless-oriented audio CD ripper

I have a few others but they are not especially good 'finds', as it were :)

Associate
Parallels, its is a thing of loveliness. With it I'm all self-contained on my MBP, OSX for general browsing, iOS development and office work, Win 7 for 'proper' boring development work and Ubuntu for sundry stuff like Torrents and playing around. All available with a click and all run super smooth.

Associate
MAMP is very good. I'm a .NET developer so am not a fan of PHP but occasionally have to do a bit of PHP work for various clients. With MAMP the environment is really simple to set up so I don't have to mess around fiddling with Apache etc and can just do the job and move on.

Soldato
1Password - probably the single most useful utility I have, genuinely couldn't live without it now

Is 1Password really that good? I mean, I can see it's practical implications, however for £35 it seems stupidly overpriced for what it does :confused:

Associate
Is 1Password really that good? I mean, I can see it's practical implications, however for £35 it seems stupidly overpriced for what it does :confused:

I've heard its very good but I dont own it - because of the reason you state above.

I use mSecure instead on my iPhone, seems a very nice app and has saved my bacon a few times when i've forgotten pin numbers or online banking id's.

Soldato

It was worth £35 to me, yes. I have secure passwords across the board, and to log in to the vast majority of websites I just type Command-\ in Safari. I would be lost without it now, really.

It's a simple concept but well executed and one of those things you don't appreciate the value of until you have had it for a while :)

Soldato
1Password is certainly worth it. I use it in conjunction with LastPass which is free but couldn't do without either.

Associate
I found some great tips here for new software, loving 1Password, Sublime Text and The Unarchiver. :D Any recommendations for image editors? I have installed Gimp and been using it for a while now on an older Mac but wondering if there are better alternatives? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom