Omega or Breitling?

Soldato
Depends which navitimer model it is. Personally I'd take the navitimer. So much more wrist presence than the seamaster. I've never liked seamasters until omega released the new PO 8500.

Caporegime
Pre-Owned Rolex Sub... on a NATO strap

I guess if the choice is Breitling and Omega then Omega wins IMO.... ETA movements in both AFAIK though technically ETA is 'In house' as far as Omega is concerned.

Just to throw in another random suggestion - take a look at Zenith - in house Swiss movements and very competitive on pricing.

Soldato
I don't understand the need for a really 'robust' watch, or the sense that one needs something a little extraordinary to be able to wear it daily; I've worn my grandfather's 40 year old Omega mechanical wind dress watch every single day for over 6 years, and it soldiers on relentlessly!

Caporegime
I don't understand the need for a really 'robust' watch, or the sense that one needs something a little extraordinary to be able to wear it daily; I've worn a 40 year old Omega mechanical wind dress watch every single day for over 6 years, and it soldiers on relentlessly!

I don't know how you can define robust, we live in England and what kind of terrain or scenario do you encounter that need something so robust that a £10 casio can't candle?

I really can't see robust being a criteria when coming to buy a watch, as long as they are water resistent to 10m (most people won't go deeper than their bathtub), even if they go swimming they would take it off anyway.

Besides, I wacked my seiko against the corner of a freezer twice only just yesterday. Don't get if its scratched (it already is), it only cost me £100 !

That said, The Omega posted is a nice looking watch.

Soldato
I don't know how you can define robust, we live in England and what kind of terrain or scenario do you encounter that need something so robust that a £10 casio can't candle?

I really can't see robust being a criteria when coming to buy a watch, as long as they are water resistent to 10m (most people won't go deeper than their bathtub), even if they go swimming they would take it off anyway.

Besides, I wacked my seiko against the corner of a freezer twice only just yesterday. Don't get if its scratched (it already is), it only cost me £100 !

That said, The Omega posted is a nice looking watch.

I don't really see the point in taking a divers watch off when swimming :confused: I always wear my watch when swimming and wore my Panerai when I went Scuba diving and Snuba

Permabanned
I have watches I look after, watches that are decent watches but scratched after a decade of use.

Meh, a watch is a ******* watch. Get over it you gays.

Associate
I prefer the styling of Omega watches over most of the Breitlings...the only Breitling model which raised my interest recently was the Transocean:

breitlingtransoceancali.jpg

breitlingtransoceanx.jpg

Don
tbh I would go with Omega,they seem to be putting effort into innovation and development of movements, Breitling seem to be going nowhere and doing nothing other that refinishing generic movements, the only caveat is my brother's Navitimer fighters which is just a gorgeous

having saud that I do love the Breitling bracelet above, I have considered a superocean heritage 46 just on that basis

Soldato
I've experienced some bad luck with my Omega seamaster. I sent it in to get polished when they discovered that the movement was off meaning a £270 bill for repairs as well as the polish. The watch is now in my brother's hands and he sent it back a few weeks ago after scratching the glass. He still doesn't know how he managed to do that as it would take something like a diamond to do it! The workshop once again said that the movement was off. Omega checked the audit trail and found that the movement was never repaired in the first place!

It was a nice watch but I did manage to ding it a few times though never on the glass. I wasn't happy with the ease I could damage the casing, having to maintain the time or the weight (it's heavy and not something you can type wearing) which is why I no longer own it.

Don't get me wrong, Omegas are lovely pieces of jewellery but when it comes to down to telling the time accurately and durability then there are better watches out there.

If you're dead set on a sea master then go for one with an 8500 or 9300 movement if you can, the power reserve is double that of the previous models which always helps!

Man of Honour
Personally I would go Omega. It's an understated, well made watch. Breitling have become a very showy brand in my eyes, some of their designs are very garish and as such they have attracted showy people. The Navitimer is not as blingy but breitling in general feels tarnished for me. While most of the watch industry basically recases Eta movements, I don't much like the cases Breitling puts them in ;)

Caporegime
Personally I would go Omega. It's an understated, well made watch. Breitling have become a very showy brand in my eyes, some of their designs are very garish and as such they have attracted showy people. The Navitimer is not as blingy but breitling in general feels tarnished for me. While most of the watch industry basically recases Eta movements, I don't much like the cases Breitling puts them in ;)

I've experienced some bad luck with my Omega seamaster. I sent it in to get polished when they discovered that the movement was off meaning a £270 bill for repairs as well as the polish. The watch is now in my brother's hands and he sent it back a few weeks ago after scratching the glass. He still doesn't know how he managed to do that as it would take something like a diamond to do it! The workshop once again said that the movement was off. Omega checked the audit trail and found that the movement was never repaired in the first place!

Was about to say something along the lines of - they both use ETA movements anyway... then realised the Breitling Navitimer being considered is available with Breitling's in house chronograph movement...

This particular Breitling might be worth a look after all

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
I have been reading up and the latest incarnation of the 300M has something called a silicon balance spring which other than giving the watch a 4 year guarantee as opposed to a 3 year for the previous model I have no idea what it is?

Also the latest model has a plain face not the waves...which seems a shame.

Back
Top Bottom