Digimate (OcUK) 24" repair with pics

Associate
Hi, a few days ago another member of these forums, craarc, posted a thread about the unboxing of his new Dell u2711.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18397086

In this thread he showed a picture of his new 27" Dell next to an old samsung monitor and also his DGM 24" MVA monitor (famous monitor that overclockers sold about 4-5 years ago at a bargain price). I also own one of these DGM monitors but unfurtunately I ruined the screen on my DGM while messing around with colour settings I accidentilly scrolled my mousewheel while the curser was hovering over the gamma slider and put the gamma right up. This caused quite bad screen burn and so it was time to get a new monitor. I asked craarc what he was doing with the DGM now that he has the Dell to which he replied that he was dumping it as it did not work at all. He then said if i wanted it that he would send it to me for free (if paid for the postage cost) so i said OK, i will have it.

My thinking was to use parts from both monitor to get a working one as my DGM had a faulty screen but the 'guts', or electronics/circuit boards were fine and craarcs screen was fine but the 'guts' were faulty. So here is the process of taking them apart and mixing the two monitors into one good one.

Craarcs on the left, mine on the right
SDC10218.jpg

Undo the 2 screws on the back of the monitor then remove the bezel cover
SDC10219.jpg

Remove the plastic strip on the bottom of the monitor
SDC10221.jpg

Undo the 2 screws by the power button
SDC10222.jpg

The holes i used to put the screwdriver in to prize off the main bezel
SDC10223.jpg

Pry off the bezel (not much pressure needed just be careful)
SDC10225.jpg

Open her up from the left side
SDC10227.jpg

The power/backlight board to be swapped unscrew from back casing
SDC10229.jpg

Careful not to pull the ribbon cable out as they damage easy
SDC10228.jpg

Unplug the 6 backlight connecters
SDC10233.jpg

Now it is just a case of putting the circuit board from my monitor into craarcs case which is just the reverse process of the above.

When I powered the monitor up this is what I got

SDC10238.jpg

SDC10239.jpg

The reason i wanted a 1920x1200 24" monitor rather than the 1920x1080 23" LG i have now is because their is only around 1cm difference in screen height between my 27" 2560x1440 and the DGM but the LG is more like 5cm smaller. It is a much better match.

Thanks to craarc for sending me his dead DGM and using his time to post it. I think it goes to show the help my fellow OcUKer's will give to each other. :D

Soldato
Kingy,

as someone who has owned both the 27" yamakasi and the 23" LG, what are your thoughts on moving away from the 27" to 3 x 23" eyefinity?

are the screen so small I would find them annoying? I do like racing games and would like a more immersive experience, but thinking the drop in screen size would be annoying

Associate
OP
glen8 - I have never used an eyefinity set-up so i can't really comment on that but for me my set-up with a 27"+24" are perfect. My 23" LG just looks so small now. I don't just game on my PC i also watch films/TV/browse the internet/play music so having the one big screen plus a second slightly smaller is perfect as i can play BF3 on the 27" and watch football on the second screen. I just think having 3 monitors just to have a wider view of the grass next to the track on racing games or to see more to the side on first person shooters is something i don't need. Also, you have to think about the Graphics cards you have to buy to run such a big resolution and the cost of that.

craarc = Just don't ask for it back. :D Also, your monitor was very dusty, you need to clean your house more often. :D

Last edited:
Associate
lol i wiped it down before i sent it was it stuffed inside ? never had it apart tbh..

can i have it back now ? lolz na im pleased it was able to be fixed result.

Associate
OP
It wasn't that bad but you can see from some of the pics that there was a layer of dust on everything which is as you would think, but mine wasn't as dusty :D.

I did put the circuit board from your monitor into my case but it did as you described in your e-mail by making a popping noise through the speakers every couple of seconds and nothing on the screen. Your power circuit board had 2 capacitors that were 'bulging' and they could be the problem. Think I will stick the spare parts in the loft - just in case I need them.

Associate
tbh mate if you can get an extra year out of it its still a good old screen youve done well there to sort it out

yer i was trying to explain the popping sound you get what i meant now then.

cant really see the pics that well from here still in work on a really old lappy low graphics

Associate
just got in from work and looked at the pics yer it does look full of dust tbh

my flat does get dusty im always having to wipe everything down dont know why ive got wood floors everywhere was thinking of a dust filter unit cause it does **** me of especially when most of my stuff is black

Soldato
Very informative post kingy666.
I own of the DGM's that was all the rage on here....and such a great monitor for the price.

Mine has just died...the blue light (got that's bright with tape removed) is flashing and it's making a popping noise... I'm guessing it's the power supply but don't really know.
I am gonna hate to scrap it without a fight....any ideas kingy666?

Associate
Dust is bad in my house too, but it's rented so not much I can do about it. The damp is what gets me though, makes the dust stick in my heat sink over time. I wanted to get an air purifier to help with allergies and to stop pc getting dusty but it's quite an investment.

Congrats btw!

Associate
Same thing happened to my Digimate 24" recently, I've whipped the PSU out thanks to this excellent guide and noticed 3 bulging capacitors which appear to have vented through the case top (marked 1000uf 16v) Is there any mileage in replacing these caps or will something else more complicated have caused the caps to bulge/pop and the same thing will soon happen to the replacements. And would a bulging capacitor cause a to PSU to fail?

Pics :

IMG_8511.JPG

IMG_8509.JPG

OcUK Staff
Hi there

I remember buying these at OcUK and filling an entire unit/warehouse with them, was an amazing monitor with great reliability especially considering what a bargain they were. :)

Associate
Right I'll give it a go then Magicboy if you've had success with this sort of thing in the past, thanks for the info.

I remember the thread Gibbo and it's the reason I'm trying to repair it, fantastic monitor!

Last edited:
Associate
Defo try and repair it mate, I've repaired both a broken 42" Plasma TV and a 24" TV by simply replacing a couple of blown capacitors on each of them. Both still going stron to this day. Get them unsoldered first of all and then get yourself along to Maplins and they'll be able to provide you with the exact replacements you need. Good luck buddy and keep us posted as to how you get on :)

Associate
The power Board died recently on my DGM. I'm no electronics expert but googled the board part number and located something very similar in the states. Layout & Capacitors exactly the same with the exception of the 12 back light chips which have last 2 digits of the id are different. However for £50 delivered, took the gamble.
Good news - the power light lights up again. The bad news - I get an occasional flicker for a nano second to just see the desktop then its gone. Its as though there isn't enough power getting through to the backlight.

I guess I'm going to have to buy a new monitor

Associate
Fixed! Changed the 3 caps, re-assembled, crossed fingers, powered on, working fine! Clipped it all back together and back in business. Fantastic monitor now lives again, so nearly went to the tip! Thanks for the help & advice :)

IMG_8517.JPG

IMG_8521.JPG

IMG_8524.JPG

Back
Top Bottom