BitFenix Prodigy, Motherboard choices ~ CPU Cooler guidance...

Soldato
So I have been looking on the net for quite awhile now and dug up afew bits of information but I still need more advice with this one. I don't want to get all the components to then find out that something won't fit in properly.

First of all with the BitFenix Prodigy, I'm looking at putting a 230mm fan (BitFenix Spectre 230mm Fan White LED) as the front intake. Is this possible without removing the ODD bay? I can't quite tell from pictures as the inner-mesh appears to slightly overlap into it. (A 200mm seems fine though)

Secondly motherboard choice, this is mainly down to two things the CPU socket location and SATA ports. I have been considering just using the stock intel cooler as its a pretty good chance that I won't be overclocking the CPU (I know it's criminal). Looking at either the Intel Core i5-3450 or the Intel Core i5-3570K.
I am swayed towards the Asus P8H77-I Intel H77 for the 6 SATA ports (I can compromise here but ideally I need 5 ports) my concern though is how close the CPU socket is to the PCI-E slot. Would a cooler such as the Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 fit in alongside a dedicated GPU?
There is the Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe which has the CPU socket positioned a good distance from the PCI-E slot but damn it's expensive! The ASRock Z77E-ITX Intel Z77 seems to be pretty popular but again the socket position looks pretty close to the PCI-E.

I've just had a quick squint at some prodigy builds on here and most people seem to be using all-in-one watercooling units which I wasn't considering for this build.

Any advice/help would be appreciated!

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the link, looking at it I'm not sure if the majority of air cooled heatsinks will be much good for this form factor really! Or at least not on most of the boards, like I said the P8Z77-I Deluxe has good socket positioning but it is very expensive when you consider how much the P8H77-I costs. :/
I think I'm just going to have to go with the stock HSF and consider an all in one unit at some point further down the line.

Soldato
OP
Well after more googling I've found that I can install the 230mm fan and keep the optical bay in so that's good. :D

2012-06-20180129.jpg

Now just need to sort out a CPU cooling solution, ideally with the Asus P8H77-I!

Man of Honour
YOUR BASKET
1 x ASRock Z77E-ITX Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Mini ITX Motherboard £123.98
1 x Zalman CNPS20LQ CPU Liquid Cooler (Socket LGA2011/1155/1156/1366/AMD FM1/AM3+/AM3/AM2+/AM2) £54.98
Total : £190.37 (includes shipping : £9.50).

YOUR BASKET
1 x Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe (Socket 1155/Intel Z77.DDR3/S-ATA 600/Mini ITX) £159.98
1 x Thermalright True Spirit 120 CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775/1155/1156/AM2/AM3/FM1) £24.98
Total : £195.77 (includes shipping : £9.00).

choice is yours. i had the same dilemma as you before i bought my prodigy.
went for a asrock z77-e and a h80 in the end.

Man of Honour
the asrock is basically a slightly nerfed version of the asus itx board. for 45 quid less.
will you notice any difference in real world usage? most likely not

Associate
In the interest of information the i30 DOES NOT fit on the P8Z77-I Deluxe. I have one the fins are bent down and sit in a groove along the capacitors of the VRM card, before being secured properly. Prolimatech fits well.

Tall coolers can have problems with fans and the optical drive too. I had to get a shorter BD drive for my build. Was running the old LG HD-DVD/BD drive. not technically the drive but the cables you need to use it, really. ;)

Associate
the asrock is 100 at amazon

+ if you are overclocking no need to pay more for the asus board,
+infact even if you are overclocking then get the asrock, unless you are going 5ghz+ somehow lol
+ consider a corsair h50/h60/h80/h100 as they will all fit at the top of the case(assuming you don thave a cd drive as i think some of the corsair will touch it)

edit: just saw you where considering the x Zalman CNPS20LQ , nice :)

Associate
ASRock is a great board.

I have a 2500K at 4.7ghz and I'm sure it would go even higher if I wanted to try.

I also prefer the layout of the Sata/USB3 connectors on the ASRock.

Only thing you have to be wary of is certain air coolers/rear block plates due to the placement of the msata port.

Associate
If your going for the ASRock and i would suggest you do, then the nt06-e fits and will cool your chip silently for anything but a massive OC. Can just about get away without a fan at 4.6 in prime so real world it would be fine. and by get away with i mean 80 degrees which gives a lot of room before you hit the tj max of 105 on my chip

Back
Top Bottom