Windows 8 Consumer Preview Thread

Soldato
I get the ROG logo both on the BIOS then on the Windows startup. I can change this back to the default blue Windows logo if I want.

Ahh I guess it is related to the BIOS I am using then, may I ask how you switch it from using the rog logo for windows startup to the blue windows logo? Is this by disabling the post logo in the bios?

Soldato
Well my standby issue came back again. After I reghosted back to Win 8 it was fine for a couple of days, but now every time I resume, the screen stays blank.

I'm having to do a full shutdown instead for now, but as I have a TV tuner in this machine, I have to remember just to leave the machine one when I'm recording.

Pain in the backside, but I'm determined to stick with it until I can find a fix :)

Associate
Well, actually, I have notice this problem of getting out of standby. I had the release Preview on my Ivybridge machine for a while and it would often fail to get out of standby. I wasn't that bothered as it boots stupidly quickly but, still, it ought not to do that. I went back to Windows 7 for some awkward programmes after that though. now I have installed it on my Dell Vostro laptop and guess what? Yes, it sometimes locks up and needs a re-boot from standby.

I am hoping this is due to the 'not quite ready' version I am using and that it doesn't affect the product we will have to buy.

Associate
After weighing the pros and cons I am going to dive in and get the upgrade, £25 to learn something new, and I can always revert back to Win 7 if it really is that painful

Caporegime
After weighing the pros and cons I am going to dive in and get the upgrade, £25 to learn something new, and I can always revert back to Win 7 if it really is that painful

That's another thing I was wondering - if you upgrade online with this £25 offer, does it kill your Windows 7 licence so that the key won't work?

Associate
Ahh I guess it is related to the BIOS I am using then, may I ask how you switch it from using the rog logo for windows startup to the blue windows logo? Is this by disabling the post logo in the bios?

Yes. It looks nice leaving it on the ROG logo as you can barely see the transition from BIOS to Windows 8 loading as it uses the same logo.

I also have options for CSM and Secure Boot, where I can choose from I think 3 options, ranging from Windows 8 UEFI Secure, Windows 8 UEFI standard and Non-UEFI OS's.

That's not the exact wording - it takes me too long to reboot to find out (10-13s!!!! :D) But if you want the precise details let me know and I'll go get them.

Associate
Well my standby issue came back again. After I reghosted back to Win 8 it was fine for a couple of days, but now every time I resume, the screen stays blank.

I'm having to do a full shutdown instead for now, but as I have a TV tuner in this machine, I have to remember just to leave the machine one when I'm recording.

Pain in the backside, but I'm determined to stick with it until I can find a fix :)

Well, actually, I have notice this problem of getting out of standby. I had the release Preview on my Ivybridge machine for a while and it would often fail to get out of standby. I wasn't that bothered as it boots stupidly quickly but, still, it ought not to do that. I went back to Windows 7 for some awkward programmes after that though. now I have installed it on my Dell Vostro laptop and guess what? Yes, it sometimes locks up and needs a re-boot from standby.

I am hoping this is due to the 'not quite ready' version I am using and that it doesn't affect the product we will have to buy.

I've not seen this behaviour with my machines, one desktop and 2 laptops. All Intel with NVidia graphics. Though I do think the NVidia drivers need a lot of work still.

If I go from Surround to spanned displays more often than not I'll have no display after it's redetected the monitors and like you guys have to reboot.

Associate
That's another thing I was wondering - if you upgrade online with this £25 offer, does it kill your Windows 7 licence so that the key won't work?

my understanding is it's one or the other and both cant be active at once, so if I removed windows 8 then i could use windows 7....anyone know anything different?

Associate
my understanding is it's one or the other and both cant be active at once, so if I removed windows 8 then i could use windows 7....anyone know anything different?

Historically you're right, but we don't know how the upgrade process will work and whether it will deactivate the old qualifying key as being valid once you've activated the new Windows 8 license.

I doubt it will be any different, but until it's released we won't know for certain.

Soldato
I've not seen this behaviour with my machines, one desktop and 2 laptops. All Intel with NVidia graphics. Though I do think the NVidia drivers need a lot of work still.

If I go from Surround to spanned displays more often than not I'll have no display after it's redetected the monitors and like you guys have to reboot.

ATI drivers need equally as much, and that's what's in this machine :)

I've just flattened the machine and done another clean install. Will see how it goes this time.

Interestingly, I got another full 90 days according to the writing down by the system tray. I wonder how MS are managing the activations on these trial versions ...

Caporegime
Interestingly, I got another full 90 days according to the writing down by the system tray. I wonder how MS are managing the activations on these trial versions ...

Yeah, I noticed that. This is my third install of Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation. Maybe if one keeps wiping and reinstalling every 90 days... ;)

Associate
Is there a way to make an app like Chrome - which has both desktop and Metro versions, always launch on the desktop?
At the moment if I launch it from the start screen or search, it always launches in full screen Metro mode, but I want it to just open on the desktop.

Associate
Is there a way to make an app like Chrome - which has both desktop and Metro versions, always launch on the desktop?
At the moment if I launch it from the start screen or search, it always launches in full screen Metro mode, but I want it to just open on the desktop.

Well pop a short-cut on the desktop or on the Quick launch bar?

Caporegime

Can you not just uninstall the Metro version?

Associate
Can you not just uninstall the Metro version?

If you set it as default browser it goes into Metro mode when you click it from the start screen (from the desktop loads in the desktop), I got around this by just leaving IE as the default. Google really should offer a setting in the options to let us choose which we want.

Back
Top Bottom