Anyone climbed Snowdon?

Soldato
I usually park up at Rhyd-Ddu on the A4085, walk along to the start of the Ranger path and head up that way, then come down the Rhyd-Ddu path, this way you can do two routes but finish at the same place, another good one is up the Llanberis path then down the rangers and cut across back to Llanberis.

Couple of pics from my last visit.

Rangers path
422924_10150864137763502_684259751_n.jpg

My mate in front coming down the Rhyd-Ddu
24226_426390873501_1845079_n.jpg

Looking back at the top.
24226_426390853501_6040100_n.jpg

Associate
If you are feeling a bit more adventurous Crib Goch arete is probably the most exciting route up to snowdon you can do without climbing gear, the views and exposure are stunning. It is rated as a grade 1 scramble so experience on very rough terrain is recommended.

There is also a hostel at the beginning of all the routes up snowdon called pen y pass youth hostel which is the best location to stay to avoid any problems parking or relying on buses.

This ^ If your going to go up Snowdon then from the Pen Y pas Hostel will give you access to the best routes depending on how experienced you are and of course the weather.. A few of us go up and over Grib Goch every year, certainly makes you feel alive..

You can stay in Llanberis and drive up to the car park at Pen y Pas quite early or even stay at the hostel but Llanberis for a drink and good scran is probably the best option.

People do Die falling from Grib Goch almost yearly so think about it first ! the Pyg and miners tracks are still good routes and give you a hard walk... Don't leave it too late in the year if you've never done something like this before..

Most of all Enjoy it and take a lot of pictures :)

Grib Goch Ridge - The spine of the Dinosaur that's what you walk along the top of.
Untitled-2.jpg

Me and Friends walking along the ridge.
Untitled-4.jpg

Some good views down into the valley if the weather is nice.
Untitled-3.jpg

Enjoy Fella, and be careful, Take Wet weather gear, map and Compass and know how to use them even if its a sunny day. Unless maybe your doing the tourist route from Llanberis then you can get away with no map or compass ?

Soldato
Last time I went, we climbed up the miners path. There is a hostel at the bottom but that was booked up. We stayed in the Snowdon Ranger, which was about 30 mins drive away. There were 4 of us and we booked a room for £66. I think breakfast was another £5 per person (may have been less).

There is a car park just next to the hostel at the bottom of the path, which is where we went from. I think it was £5 for the day. The round trip took about 7 hours, but we weren't giving it 100%

We went in March during the random spell of good weather. Here's the view from the top when I went up:

http://i.imgur.com/rVLSG.jpg

I have also been up the Watkin path, which was very nice. We didn't leave early enough though so had to turn back after getting about 90% of the way up. There is a layby near the start of the path where you can park for free off the main road. The path is quite long but starts off reasonably shallow.

Caporegime
If you are feeling a bit more adventurous Crib Goch arete is probably the most exciting route up to snowdon you can do without climbing gear, the views and exposure are stunning. It is rated as a grade 1 scramble so experience on very rough terrain is recommended.

this really...

I did this route back when I was about 11 or so in Scouts... along with a bunch of other kids... if the weather is nice then its not that bad, so long as you have experienced people with the group it shouldn't be an issue. If the group is all beginners though then prob best to take one of the paths....

Man of Honour
Do not do Crib Goch unless you think aretes are fun. This is really not a route for a beginner, and in bad weather it's only a route for serious walkers. I'm not sure what people think they are proving by recommending it. If you do like the look of it, think very carefully, and make sure that your SO is as keen as you are. Llanberis is a stroll until the 3/4 point, and it's not too hard after that. The first third or so is basically a very gradual staircase. Children walk this route. I'd probably suggest the Ranger's Path, but be aware that parking at the start point is expensive. There used to be a bus which went between the various start points, including Llanberis, but I'm not sure if it still does. And I'm not sure if there are still free parking places in Llanberis either.

Soldato
Get the bus to Pen y Pas and take the Pyg track. Fairly simple for beginners with a bit of scrambling in the middle and a bit steeper in the last third then walk back down along the railway line. Job done.

Associate
I love this picture
Untitled-3.jpg

but i get all queasy if i was out in the open like that! dunno why tho.
also bloke in the middle with the red jacket's got ghost's legs, spooky :)

Soldato
done this last week .. im old and fat and we were up and down in 6ish hrs . went via Llanberis .. felt more like a steep hill than a mountain . It was 26c when we parked the car .. and wet cold and raining with 0 visability at the summit . Nice views on the way up but could not see 2 feet in front of me at the top .

I had no plans to walk it but decent boots .. pack a mac and a fleece were fine . I i walked it after being told £50 for the train and had to book 2 days in advance to sit in a coffin with 40 old people )

Soldato
I went up it with my mountain bike last month, up the Llanberis path, down the Ranger then across Telegraph Valley back to Llanberis.

Make sure you take a visit to Pete's Eats for some grub, huge portions and nice food.

Just after you go under the railroad near the summit
20120814_184915.jpg

Looking down from the summit to the railway station/cafe
20120814_194438.jpg

There are a few times when you think "This must be it" but no the summit is still further away :D
20120814_192906.jpg

Amazing views at the top, I was up there at about 8.15 just as the sun was beginning to set
20120814_194410.jpg

Turning back to look back down the Llanberis path, Llyn Padarn (lake) in the distance this is where I parked 2.30 mins earlier
20120814_194418.jpg

Descending the Ranger Path, rocky and loose, ace fun
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/Andelusion/Bike Stuff/20120814_200941.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
When I was in Scouts in 2002 (I think), we did a trip up Snowdon with a load of American Scouts, but I can't remember which path we took. I remember quite a nice walk around lakes and such, and then a steep-ish scree/loose rock slope, and then a bit of walking on top of the mountainbefore reaching the shop/restuarant. Going from the pictures and descriptions, it makes me think it could be Crib Goch, but I don't remember the top ridge being that precarious. Then again, I was what, 13 at the time, so my sense of adventure probably blocked out all feelings of danger. Besides, I remember being bloody relieved and exhausted from getting to the top of the slope as well :p

Loved every minute of it, and looking back, as much as I hated it at the time, the slope was a nice challenge. The views are fantastic at the top, they really are. I remember looking around me at one point to see whiteness everywhere, and feeling a bit miffed off. Then the clouds parted, and the view back down to the lakes took my breath away. Absolutely cracking how far you can see up there when it's clear.

Last edited:
Associate
I climbed Snowdon, Scafell Pike and Ben Nevis in a single 24 hour period (3 peaks challenge) a few weeks ago. Good fun. You NEED good footwear and a decent jacket.

Last edited:
Associate
Snowdon is well worth doing and imo is better than the others on the 3 peak challenge as it's so varied and has the best views.
If it's your first time I would suggest you start nice and early in the day around 8-9am. As someone else pentioned park your car at Pen Y Pass, it's the ideal start point and yeah you might have to pay but you have a choice of a few routes nice and easily that way and there is always that bit of reassurance that if your car is left in the car park that people would go looking for you if it gets dark.

For the first time I would suggest either the Pyg Track or miners track. The Pyg starts fairly brutal but is the 'easy' route with good views (Llanberris is easiest but quite dull) or you could go the miners track which has some awesome views and a real nice walk to start with but gets pretty vertical in the end.
I started with the miners route the first time and we reached the lakes and the route sort of ended, its then you have to go right up the scree slope.

I really enjoyed the day and came back on my own a month later and did Cribb Goch which is something I will remember for a long time, stunning views, some dangerous parts and you can't really just turn back once you are committed. I'd save that for next time though :). Whichever route you choose you will have a great time though :) Let us know how you get on.

Associate
When I was in Scouts in 2002 (I think), we did a trip up Snowdon with a load of American Scouts, but I can't remember which path we took. I remember quite a nice walk around lakes and such, and then a steep-ish scree/loose rock slope, and then a bit of walking on top of the mountainbefore reaching the shop/restuarant. Going from the pictures and descriptions, it makes me think it could be Crib Goch, but I don't remember the top ridge being that precarious. Then again, I was what, 13 at the time, so my sense of adventure probably blocked out all feelings of danger. Besides, I remember being bloody relieved and exhausted from getting to the top of the slope as well :p

Loved every minute of it, and looking back, as much as I hated it at the time, the slope was a nice challenge. The views are fantastic at the top, they really are. I remember looking around me at one point to see whiteness everywhere, and feeling a bit miffed off. Then the clouds parted, and the view back down to the lakes took my breath away. Absolutely cracking how far you can see up there when it's clear.

99% sure that you did the Miners path. This goes around the lakes and then has a scramble up to join the Pyg trail. Decent path although it's a slog past the lakes if you're knackered.

Soldato

There is also a hostel at the beginning of all the routes up snowdon called pen y pass youth hostel which is the best location to stay to avoid any problems parking or relying on buses.

This is the best/most exciting route - although not to be attempted in bad conditions unless you really know what you're doing.

There are plenty of other, very easy routes up. Not really a climb by any stretch of the imagination but a nice picturesque walk.

Soldato
OP
So OP did you end up walking up , and was it any good ?

No. Haven't had the time to get a trip organised. We're gonna go try out some lesser places first to see if we enjoy/manage it. I will definitely climb Snowdon one day though. Ben Nevis would be nice too, but that's a bit further away.

Back
Top Bottom