How far would you travel each day for work before relocating?

One

One

Soldato
30minutes? An hour? 2 maybe even 3 hours? Would the mode of transport make a difference too? i.e. You wouldn't do 2 hours in a car but would consider it in a train?

I haven't really made my mine up about it yet so I'm wondering what other people think.

Caporegime
An hour would be my max but even then it would annoy me.

My current commute is 13 miles/30 minutes in a car which isnt so bad.

Soldato
I've done an hour each way before and whilst its fine thats my maximum, can get particularly annoying in with ter traffic when that hour commute turns into an hour and a half or occasionally longer

Soldato
Currently do an hour each way in the car , no biggie easy motorway driving .

I think it time of day dependant rather than length of journey , if I had to do it in 2 rush hours each day it would be an issue and 20 and each leg of the journey .

Soldato
I drive 35mins to Luton and fly to Edinburgh on a Monday, stay up there for work and fly back to Luton on Thursday night and drive the 35mins home. Been doing that for 26months.

Associate
I drive 35mins to Luton and fly to Edinburgh on a Monday, stay up there for work and fly back to Luton on Thursday night and drive the 35mins home. Been doing that for 26months.

They must be paying you a lot. I suppose this is what it all boils down to really, you wouldn't be doing that sort of commute for minimum wage.

Soldato
They must be paying you a lot. I suppose this is what it all boils down to really, you wouldn't be doing that sort of commute for minimum wage.

Aye, the pay and the four day week makes it worth while. As you say, if the money wasn't great then it wouldn't be worth the aggravation. Mind you if you are contracting, you have to travel where the work is.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
An hour, maybe an hour and a half each way is the maximum I'd consider on a regular basis. Any longer than that and I'd want to move house or get a new job. Living in London it's not as if there's a shortage of potential places to stay or to work - it's just a question of the trade-offs and being happy enough with them.

At the moment my commute each way averages about 40-45 minutes including waiting at the station but it's ony 15 minutes on a train and walking the rest so that's reasonable for me.

Caporegime
I currently have an hour/hour and a half commute but its mostly train so I can sit down and read the news/browse the web. If I were to have to drive it would be around 15 minutes max and half an hour/5 miles if I were to cycle, so yes, massive difference for me depending on mode of transport.

Training it in is so much more relaxing than any other mode of transport, sit down in a nice seat and no need to concentrate so you can do fun things.

Back
Top Bottom