Help! screen has started flickering red intermitently

Associate
Hi,

I've got an ASUS G53S laptop w/ GTX 460M graphics card.

The screen has started intermittently flickering red, especially for black backgrounded things like PuTTY.

Any advice on how to fix this? Was going to try re-installing windows + drivers, but wondering if there is anything a bit less drastic that I could try first.

Cheers,

Fred

Associate
OP
OK so a twist in the tale, it briefly fixed itself, but then broke again today. I quickly plugged it in to an external screen via HDMI and it works fine on the secondary display.

What is my next move? Should I do a clean install of windows, or is there something less drastic I should try first?

Permabanned
Leave it running on the external monitor for a couple of hours, you'll be able to find out then if its GPU related or if your lappy screen is burning out.

The problem really don't sound like a software issue, sounds more like hardware.

So i don't think a fresh install will change any thing :\

Last edited:
Soldato
How long did you test it on the external display?

If it works fine on an external display, then it sounds like the laptop monitor is at fault.

You could see if you can find a spare monitor for the laptop and swap it yourself.

Associate
OP
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a laptop monitor?

Any chance you could point me at the component I need for a ASUS G53S laptop, or does that count as promoting competitors?

/EDIT - figured it out. OK I'll have a crack at changing the monitor, fairly sure this is the issue, as the output is fine on the external monitor.

Last edited:
Soldato
If it's ok on an external screen, It's most likely the internal cable that connects the laptops screen to the motherboard that has worn with the lid being open and closed repeatedly over time or the laptop screen itself is on the way out.

Taking apart a laptop to replace it's screen is not for the faint of heart. I usually recommend people hook the laptop up to a monitor and use the laptop as a base unit.

Associate
answer to above "laptop monitor" I think he means your screen.

most of my experience with screen giving red stripes or flickering between normal and red, have been connection issues between screen and mainboard.........if you move the laptop screen is there any screen colour change.......it could also be heat related

on a PC the VGA cables to a normal monitor can cause this symptom, where the pins are at fault. Not always the graphic card.

Oooh, someone beat me to this and posted at nearly the same time

One other thing to try< put some reasonable pressure on the top plastic surround of screen, if the screen changes colour or lines it's most likely screen failure..........

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom